GunRunner1

330 or 550 TVL whats the difference

330TVL & 550TVL would give a vastly different quality of image.

Bear in mind the recording resolution you will be using as this will decide the quality of your recorded footage.

From the video image quality: 550TVline camera has very clear and real image. but 330TVline camera's image quality is worse than 550 TVLine

From the price: 550TVL camera is much higher than 330TVLine camera

From the technology: 330TVLine camera has on saled so many years before, but 550TVline camera just comes recently. 550TVLine is the representative of technology innovations

From the application, 330TVLine is enough to home security, 550TVL is often applied in Bank, jail, expressway road etc.

jefinny from Rekeen Electronics

1791584576_RekeenElectronics.jpg.dbc44b76af4f5f2f644cf7ed9cc59e8f.jpg

Ok lets forget 550 for right now, as the Effective Image Pixels for that and 480TVL are the same, and thats what counts. So the difference is that a 480TVL camera will have more effective image pixels than a 330TVL, and that means higher quality image. Now that said, a High Res BW camera should be 570-600TVL, not 550TVL, but either way, its the same image pixels.

Simply, there is visually a huge difference between a 330TVL camera and a 600TVL camera. Most low end BW cameras will be rated at least 400TVL though. Low End Color CMOS cameras are normally 330TVL and that image is typically horrible and a waste of money IMO.

Thanks I'm alittle slow but it's starting to sink in.

This is a great forum. Hope I'm not asking to many questions.

Thanks to all!!!

Just to add a little more to the discussion....TVL by itself is NOT a guarantee of image quality. The TVL resolution is measured by standardised condions, much like the "miles per gallon" test done on new cars.

It is 100% correct to say that a GOOD QUALITY 500 or 600TVL camera will give better image quality under the same conditions as a 330TVL camera....however a good quality "branded" 330TVL camera with a good quality lens will easily provide better image quality than a SE Asian cheapie dome that claims to have 540TVL resolution just because it uses a Sony CCD.

Other things to look at...

1) Signal to noise ratio (the higher the better)

2) Sensitivity

3) Lens quality

As an example...I have a Siemens CCBC1320 full-body camera in my box of test cameras. This is a 1/3" 330TVL colour camera. WHen mated with a 5-50mm Fujinon lens (nice big glass optics) this camera routinely outperforms virtually every "480TVL" or "540TVL" SE Asian dome I've put it next to. And that's in good light...in low light the domes go pitch black while the 330TVL full-body still provides a usable image.

Having said that....my Bosch LTC0495 with the same lens does provide a better image again...

Key takeaway....compare apples with apples. I would personally always choose a lower TVL, higher quality camera over a "higher TVL" but overall poorer build quality if the price was the same.

550 is way better than 330. The higher the tv lines the better the picture looks. It's like when it comes to tv's HD verses non HD. There is a difference. Hope that helps some.