PolarisX2

GV-1480 help with poor video recording and live video

I have a GV-1480 system the at has extremely poor video recording clarity. I am using the GeoMpeg4 ASP codec and it is 720x480 non interlaced. The recordings are no where near the DVD quality that all these other forum users proclaim they are getting with these cards. I used a LCD spot monitor to focus all the camera's, focus is not the issue here. All my camera's (10 total ) are Pano WV-CP484's with Fujinon day night lenses. I have made videos using the Video log utility but the clarity is not there. I will be posting a some Video clips for everyone to comment on tomorrow, I am also updating the software tomorrow to 8.12.

The system

Intel 3.0 Prescott LGA775 2mb

Intel D945 mother board

ATI Radeon PCIX16 X1800-GTO 256mb ddr3

2 Seagate 7200.9 NCQ 250gb SATA3.0 8mb drives

Crucial Balistix DDR2 667 1gb 2 x 512mb

Pano cp484 camera's Fujinon Day-Night Series Lenses Auto Aris

Any comments would be welcomed after viewing the clips that I will attach tomorrow.

Here are some pictures still's. These are on a Pano cp484 with a Fujinon lense 12-50mm varifocal lense. I have some videos that I will put on my server tomorrow to let you see the picture quality of the videos.

The 360x240 stills blow the 720x480 stills away.

sample2.JPG.23b9c0791ce1a8b2f2a771dfc0fc071c.JPG

sample3.JPG.0f4b259b6738c516648d7a9dffbbaa19.JPG

Edited by Guest

Also, an LCD monitor will not get a good focus, you will need to use some form of CRT monitor, and something in the 9-13" range. Also we that claim great quality dont use the ASP or H.264 codecs, personally I use the Geo Mpeg4/Fast Mpeg4.

That said sounds like there is some other issue. Will wait for the images/video.

Do you have the Spot Monitor feature turned on? If so, that will cause Overlay not to work on the live view and the video will look bad.

If you are watching this on an LCD monitor, will also not be as clear as it would be on a CRT.

LCD using DVI instead of VGA, will be clearer.

Remember that the image being 720x480 and your screen res being (1280x1024?) means when the image is enlarged it is being blown up, so it will pixelise.

Also, an LCD monitor will not get a good focus, you will need to use some form of CRT monitor, and something in the 9-13" range. Also we that claim great quality dont use the ASP or H.264 codecs, personally I use the Geo Mpeg4/Fast Mpeg4.

That said sounds like there is some other issue. Will wait for the images/video.

Do you have the Spot Monitor feature turned on? If so, that will cause Overlay not to work on the live view and the video will look bad.

If you are watching this on an LCD monitor, will also not be as clear as it would be on a CRT.

LCD using DVI instead of VGA, will be clearer.

Remember that the image being 720x480 and your screen res being (1280x1024?) means when the image is enlarged it is being blown up, so it will pixelise.

What I mean is that I used a LCD field technicians monitor to focus the camera's in once the camera is mounted. It is 7" with BNC inputs. I have had no problem in the past. Using this LCD monitor to do adjustments to focus on any camera. I am using Geo Mpeg ASP I will switch it over to MPEG4 and I will post stills and video samples tonight.

The monitor is a 19" CRT Viewsonic.

Yep, they are great for camera adjustments, but not for focusing, at least not to get the best focus. But please do post the images. Is the problem in recorded video as well as live? Personally I still feel the GV800 gives a better image than the Combo cards.

Sorry to hear the system is not what you imagined.

I use the GV-1240´s and cameras that are a quarter of the price; getting better results.

So there is hope.

Your image appears compressed and possibly out of focus.

Stick to Mpeg4. Record quality 5.

As a side note, you may get sharper results from 640x480.

Theres some weirdness at D1 with PAL giving those black borders.

Tweak it out.

Sorry to hear the system is not what you imagined.

I use the GV-1240´s and cameras that are a quarter of the price; getting better results.

So there is hope.

Your image appears compressed and possibly out of focus.

Stick to Mpeg4. Record quality 5.

As a side note, you may get sharper results from 640x480.

Theres some weirdness at D1 with PAL giving those black borders.

Tweak it out.

I will try that tomorrow and will use the lower resolution. I am not using PAL I thought that I could not do this here in the US. Though it had to be NTSC.

On another note to Rory. I used the DSP connection out on the 1480 card today to my Samsung 244T LCD monitor and the video out from the card was terrible. Worse than the monitors VGA display. The DVI connection cleaned up the real time viewing nicely. I will be tweeking some more tomorrow. I have sample videos that I can send to anyone if they are interested.

Please post anything you have, between us we will have it running to its potential.

Im interested to see how the Panasonics look throught a geovision.

Yes, the DSP connection is composite video, it will be the best on a CRT monitor. Still it should be good video, though LCD TVs are not known for their quality with A/V - I have one right here myself and a client with like 10 of them - it will not match the VGA mode.

One bug with the Combo cards, they have those black borders with 720x480, I would stick to 640x480 only.

Otherwise quality does not appear that bad, the 320x will seem clearer simply as it is smaller, and not blown up. Focusing it on an LCD Field Monitor you will not get the full focus, and in a mode like 320x you will not notice it as much, but in a higher res mode it will be very noticable. So its hard to say without fixing that first. CRTs are still a must for a CCTV tech, for testing.

Please post anything you have, between us we will have it running to its potential.

Im interested to see how the Panasonics look throught a geovision.

Please goto Putfile's website /toyo321 and I will upload more videos tomorrow.

Yes, the DSP connection is composite video, it will be the best on a CRT monitor. Still it should be good video, though LCD TVs are not known for their quality with A/V - I have one right here myself and a client with like 10 of them - it will not match the VGA mode.

One bug with the Combo cards, they have those black borders with 720x480, I would stick to 640x480 only.

Otherwise quality does not appear that bad, the 320x will seem clearer simply as it is smaller, and not blown up. Focusing it on an LCD Field Monitor you will not get the full focus, and in a mode like 320x you will not notice it as much, but in a higher res mode it will be very noticable. So its hard to say without fixing that first. CRTs are still a must for a CCTV tech, for testing.

Yeah I hear you, I just bought a 9" Panasonic monitor off ebay so I can refocus the camera's again.

On another note to Rory. I used the DSP connection out on the 1480 card today to my Samsung 244T LCD monitor and the video out from the card was terrible. Worse than the monitors VGA display. The DVI connection cleaned up the real time viewing nicely. I will be tweeking some more tomorrow. I have sample videos that I can send to anyone if they are interested.

Video output from the DSP to a CRT will look exactly like the output of the camera.