Mikey

Losing image quality- aapro 3014 DVR

I have an Aapro 3014 DVR connected to a CNB IR camera.

Its real simple, if I was to look at my image on my 13 inch sony monitor connected via monitor jack on the dvr, it looks good. When I view the live image via ethernet connection my quality is degraded. Tech in Aapro Korea states that image quality will reduce when viewing via ethernet.

What I cant deal with is , even if I save the image to the SD card and carry to view on Pc it still does not look as good, or to be more specific it is darker than what the camera s giving the DVR.

Any experience with this, Is this to be expected.

Yes, this is normal with most StandAlone DVRs. Best quality would be to use a PCI Capture card in a regular PC, use the monitor out either from the DVR or the Monitor's loop out and connect that to the capture card, then save it as raw video or images.

Thanks Rory,

If I would have known that I would have never spent the bucks on a standalone DVR. I picked a standalone assuming a proprietery system would be superior and so it would be independant of my pc and some of the problems that pc's can have such as virus's or my kids screwing it up.

I am trying my hardest to get facial recognition in the night and have so many obstacles to overcome.

I have also found out that one of reasons I cant zoom in on an already captured image to get facial recognition is because I have my camera set to wide. In order to cover the necessary area and be able to expand or zoom an already captured image I will need another camera.

When you connect to the back of most dedicated units you are mearly seeing an uncompressed feed straight from the camera being switched from input to input. It will always be superior to encoded and compressed video, no matter what. Unfortunately that doesn't help at all for evidence.

When you connect to the back of most dedicated units you are mearly seeing an uncompressed feed straight from the camera being switched from input to input. It will always be superior to encoded and compressed video, no matter what. Unfortunately that doesn't help at all for evidence.

I'm with you on that! When I'm setting up or adjusting cameras I always judge the video quality from the playback, not the live view. Especially when the quality of the image is directly relevant, such as my license plate camera.

I finally got that camera where I want it and it's been running untouched for months now, but for a while I would adjust it here and there whenever it missed a plate. Being able to read a plate on the live view does NOT mean you'll be able to read it on playback. Always check the playback.