tyman00

Is a combo card necessary?

Hello all.

We currently have a system that has what I believe are Kodicom knock-offs and I am going to order some Geovision cards from their recommended distributors.

Are the combo cards really that necessary? We do not need, nor will we probably use the audio portion of the cards. Will I get enough video quality with the GV-800? I noticed that the GV-1480 has a higher FPS rating than the GV-800. Is it that a big deal? What kind of FPS should I at least try to have for quality playback? We will be running 16 cameras.

This is a little off topic. The cards we currently have also have a RCA port that is used for an external screen (besides the computer monitor). We have it going to a TV in one of our offices for live viewing. Is there an add on card or other option that will allow us to continue to do this with the Geovision cards?

Thanks for your help!

when recording in 640x480 or higher, it is not any really huge difference, in fact I prefer the 800's quality over the combo cards. However, if you want real time LIVE video then you will need the combo card; It also has the composite output but then you can always get one of those by using a quad or mux and loop out card.

The combo cards have the composite output, called DSP output in this case. There use to be an add on DSP card for the other models but it is not as easy to find these days. You can optionally, as mentioned, use a Geo Loop out card then use a quad or mux from there.

I looked into what you mentioned. To be honest I don't entirely understand the process (I'm a newbie). I found some items that seemed to resemble what you discussed. Looking at the prices of what I found I am noticing that by the time I add the loop through and add the mux I am talking nearly the same cost as going with the GV-1240 and GV-1480, correct?

Also, am I able to specify which cameras get shown on the TV out port through the software? The Kodicom software allowed us to rotate between multiple cameras with a delay that we could also set.

I looked into what you mentioned. To be honest I don't entirely understand the process (I'm a newbie). I found some items that seemed to resemble what you discussed. Looking at the prices of what I found I am noticing that by the time I add the loop through and add the mux I am talking nearly the same cost as going with the GV-1240 and GV-1480, correct?

Also, am I able to specify which cameras get shown on the TV out port through the software? The Kodicom software allowed us to rotate between multiple cameras with a delay that we could also set.

Yes, it would be more expensive in the long run, though it is just an option in case you were to get the Gv800 and later on want the DSP. If you know upfront you want the DSP etc, then its worth while getting it to begin with.

It's really close though and depends on what you want too.

GV1120-16 PCI D type = ~$1620.00

GV800-16 PCI D type =~$1370.00

+ GV Loop Through = ~$164.00

=

~$1536.00

So thats ~$84 for a switcher worst case, $248 if there are loops on the switcher. If you wanted a quad it would be totally different with the GV800 ahead for sure.

I'm sure you noticed that nobody actually pays those prices, I'll just use the assumption that you can get about the same discount on both cards.

Also if the DVR is used headless you can just get a video card with a TV out and it'll do everything the combo can.

Thanks for the input! I am just going to go with the Combo Card. That way I am not having to search for this and that, plus with a newbie like me I should get my foot in the door before trying to use different modules.

A little off topic, can anyone tell me what type of input connector is on the DVI cables on the GV-1480, are they female like the GV-800?

Thanks again. It is nice to get courteous professional help. Don't see that much anymore!

It's really close though and depends on what you want too.

GV1120-16 PCI D type = ~$1620.00

GV800-16 PCI D type =~$1370.00

+ GV Loop Through = ~$164.00

=

~$1536.00

So thats ~$84 for a switcher worst case, $248 if there are loops on the switcher. If you wanted a quad it would be totally different with the GV800 ahead for sure.

I'm sure you noticed that nobody actually pays those prices, I'll just use the assumption that you can get about the same discount on both cards.

Also if the DVR is used headless you can just get a video card with a TV out and it'll do everything the combo can.

CollinR,

Rory mentioned using multiplexer... Since I have a 16 channel multiplexer I'm trying to fiqure out if that could be used to keep down costs as my needs are for residential use in which I cannot count off thousands, upon thousands of dollars off as a "Business Expense"... like allot of businesses do on equipment.

Because I am trying to keep costs down and can't count off a nickel as a tax-write-off I too would like to know if a GV800-16 card could be used with the TV OUTPUT from the PC & how the multiplexer might be used.

I would think the video inouts would go thru the multiplexer first (Which would allow re-time?) then feed to via the multiplexer's loop-out ports to the GV-800-16, with the extra option to output thru the TV port of the PC?

.[/b]