outrun

Newbie Question

I bought some cameras for a great price. No lenses. They are somewhat old but I am only going to use them at night as they are black and white cams.

However I am wanting to get a cam to use during the day. I was looking at some color cam (can't post link yet) but it says digital on it. The person selling it says that it uses sony parts or quality something like that but is not made by sony.

So, anyone ever heard of digital?

Sounds like my High Definition Sunglasses to me.

With out more information we cannot determine the meaning of "digital".

It may be a catch phrase for sales purposes.

Then again a 100% transistorized television still has a tube! (??).

Sorry I can't give more info. With my low post ect I can't post the link.

Looks like there knock offs. Just says Digital on it in blue letters except for the a which is in blue. I bet that really helped didn't it .

can you post it as www dot stupidwebsite dot com. After I take a look, I will ask you to re edit the post, and take it out.

I truley do not know. I believe they are speaking about the ccd chip being digital.

If this camera works in the environment that you put it in to, then I would say you are good to go.

You will not find this on most security store shelves. You will if they want to catch a "quick sell" just to keep someone from going to the big box warehouse club, or if they want to keep entry level customers from going to the internet.

As long as you keep the product in the evironment that it was designed for it should work. You may need to put it in to an enclosure if you put it outside.

If security is of the essence, then I would reconsider your camera choice.

There are tons of guys selling the more inexpensive cameras that have the same capabilities as Sony. Sony is a great brand, but there are cameras overseas being produced with the actual Sony chip set built into the camera. With the right lens, this makes it just as good as Sony. The digital is for the chip that is inside. What are the lines of res on these cameras? Do you have a model number? Thanks

There are tons of guys selling the more inexpensive cameras that have the same capabilities as Sony. Sony is a great brand, but there are cameras overseas being produced with the actual Sony chip set built into the camera. With the right lens, this makes it just as good as Sony. The digital is for the chip that is inside. What are the lines of res on these cameras? Do you have a model number? Thanks

Not that I would use Sony, but the chip alone does not make the camera, there are other factors involved. Basically, you get what you pay for though. Sony cameras are pretty cheap these days also.

Well the goal is not really secturity but rather just to keep an eye on my land, dogs, goats, geese, lawn equipment and stuff like that. If there was any security problems I have it would be coyotes.

Not that I would use Sony, but the chip alone does not make the camera, there are other factors involved. Basically, you get what you pay for though. Sony cameras are pretty cheap these days also.

x2 Sony not so hot and a Sony imager alone does not equal a Sony camera's performance.

generic cameras with the sony chip are in my mind just as good as the high priced cameras. If you actually compare the two side by side, there is not much of diffrence,,

In Reallity they are more than likely being made by the same manufacture over seas and packaged diffrently for more sales in the USA..

That is what I have been hearing. I was at a security shop the other day and they had all the highend stuff out front. I went in back to make a payment and saw several off brands and asked the guy about them.

He said they were just as good as the others.

AffordableCCTV, I don't know how many years you have been in this business, but that's not true at all. If you compare the Sony to a generic off brand with a so called Sony chip built in, you will find a bit of a difference. Especially when it comes to night and when you have an eye for it. Your average customer that has no background in CCTV will not be able to tell as much.

That has been people’s biggest complaint with this stuff. They think they are getting Sony and it turns out it is not. They get upset. Why do you think that Sony spends millions of dollars on researching better products and technology? Because #1 they want to be the best, #2 they want the best product for the buck.

Trust me, we have set up a huge test bench and hooked about 50 camera's Sony, Panasonic, Pelco, American Dynamics, Generic, and ECT. They all have different test results. Sony along with Panasonic seems to be the highest quality. The thing is, people are cheap these days, let’s face it. We need to educate them on why they should go with a better camera for the long term, not the short term.

I agree with Deluxe, like I mentioned before also, there are a number of levels of each Sony Chip, and it is based on price and ends in quality. I also agree that occasionally you can find a cheap camera that will match the image quality of, or be better than, a more expensive one, thats a given, but the general consensus is this - you get what you pay for.

Also, in answer to the manufacturer overseas, most large brand name companies have their own manufacturing plants, and even if they do not, they have their own plans for the cameras which are typically designed with more expensive components than many others. Their names do bring the cost up some, but if you do test them side by side with cheaper OEM ones, you will in most cases, see a huge difference. OEM exists for one main thing IMO (other than for smaller companies to rebadge) .. for people that cant afford the brand names, and there is a huge market for that, cause many people are broke right now but just want to see something.