cyboyeee

Coax, Cat5 or wire....

Running some cameras that go from 50 feet to 100 feet tops inside a house. What's the best choice in order for quality and also economy?

Are there significant differences between balun manufacturers?

i assume you are putting analog cameras in.. for that short distance i would just run coax rg59, baluns are another failure point and about 50bucks per camera and coax is much tougher and less affected by rf than twisted pair

as for balun mfgs:

ive used nvt and nitek and have been happy with both baluns.. u start to have problems when you go with cheap oem ones

my 2cents

RG59 Coax w/ 18AWG (Siamese Cable), Coax is solid copper center and copper outer braid.

Yes, they are anaolog. Thank you for repsonding!

Just use Siamese cable and you will be good to go...

If you had much longer runs, video baluns would have been ideal... it would have added no more than $30 per camera (balun costs are around $15 each) and you could have extended the video cables up to 1,500' without any loss of video (passive balunn)... We used many, but prefer the baluns from VideoBaluns.com (their trade marked baluns have VU on the packaging).

Good luck and let us know what is the outcome of your installation.

Which cameras are you using?

Thanks for your interest. Right now I am using some no-name IR bullet cameras, which are just ok. I would like to switch to a higher quality camera and enclosure to monitor my driveway. Though we live in a good area, we've had some weird incidents. Like 10 pumpkins stolen from right in front of our windows. Or fish being thrown onto our walk.

I don't want to make our house feel like a gas station but I don't really know enough or trust a bullet camera to be of great quality, so may switch to the camera/enclosure. I want to make out faces, license plates hopefully, at least car style and make. My camera can barely make out a plate in broad daylight.

I saw some cameras and dealer I like. The camera is Ganz YCH-03A or ZC-NH258N. Both day night and 540 lines. Or possibly a Pelco CC3751H2, but more money. So hard to know what you're getting into by just looking at a name or spec. though.

I have a Geovision 1480 capture card so I can place more cameras around the outside and parts of the inside eventuually.

Ive got my driveway cam, mounted right under my motion light at the peak of my garage. Im currently running on twisted pair, that is punched down on femail rca modular connectors. No baluns here. I only did this because i had previously ran cat 5 out to my garage for future internet, and or audio.

Connecting twisted-pair cable to any unbalanced connector is just asking for trouble.

First, twisted-pair is 100 ohms impedance; bnc, f and other connectors are 75 ohms, rca is not any stated impedance. Coax is 75 ohms.

Second, and perhaps most important, twisted-pair is balanced; meaning it has signal on both wires - one = positive, one = negative. The purpose of this is for noise cancellation. Since both wires tend to pick up the same noise, it cancels out when connected to equipment or a balun (+noise plus -noise = 0). By grounding out the negative wire, as you would by connecting it to an rca or bnc, you can cause a huge increase in noise pickup.

Unbalanced wire (ie coax) has a shield. Its purpose is to block noise.