frogman

Poor motion detect on CMOS camera.

Hello friends, I am new at this forum so a problem has driven me to try to find a solution here. I have a pretty cheap china DVR (I do not know the name, did not bother to look) and 9 CMOS cameras hooked up, model 801C. Problem is that it detects motion only when an object is pretty near like 6 feet, or when a camera has a wider angle and that object is pretty big, so it is poor for and does not do the job. The DVR does not have a lot of setup options, motion part has something like low, normal and high. Can i solve this without external alarm IR sensors, or if I cannot do that what type of sensors can I use, can they be mounted outsided the building, or can I use PIR-476 PIR motion sensor.

Thanks in advance.

All the settings DVR has per channel is to select motion area (which I set 100%), motion level which I set to high, and motion bu alaram, or detect...

Could it be an issue with the DVR?

Perhaps if you set a smaller motion area the percentage change will be greater and it will trigger.

I have tried the smaller motion area first time but no luck, do you all think that the problem is with the dvr, I think that because the cmos cameras react on the light change and that is enough, is it a hardware or software problem with the DVR, has anyone had a similar problem.

My CPCam DVR's "sensitivity" setting a number that means the amount of change that triggers the DVR. ie sensitivity 80 is actually LESS sensitive than sensitivity 50.

Get yourself a higher resolution (420TVL minimum) CCD camera and test it out on your DVR, this will help you work out of it is a camera or DVR issue.

If the DVR allows you to setup a region of interest, set this up. The DVR probably use a very causal algorithm that just compute the ratio of the number of pixel changed (luminance changed) and the total number of pixel. The "high", "normal", and "low" would just for you to choose a predefined threshold of the ratio to trigger alarm. Setting a region of interest could increase the accuracy by removing uninterested areas.

motion detect generally works on pixel change and its sounds like you have low resolution cmos cams. the sensitivity might be to low to recognize the movement simply because of the blurred image. if you can change the cameras out to a decent 420 line or better ccd cam setup youd be better off. cheap dvr detection might be at fault also... never trust china unless you tested it yourself haha.

-Devin