Reighn328

Cameras dropping in and out at random

I'm very new to video security and I'm having an issue with the first installation I did.

I'm a Video-Insight reseller and we installed an analog server with 18 color cameras a while back. The system has been running fine minus a few minor issues up until about 2 weeks ago. One camera started having reset errors and signal droppage, so I was called out to investigate.

Over the course of the last 2 weeks I've been in contact with V-I and replaced both the Dongel and the physical VJ120 capture card on RMA. I've reinstalled the software/drivers/WMVDLL's and the like to no avail. The problem just keeps getting worse now. The camera that was causing problems initially is still a problem, but now it's not uncommon for 5 and 6 other cameras to drop off at the same time. Sometimes with a blank screen, other times with freeze frames, and pixelation.

V-I is telling me it's environmental interference but the system functioned just fine for the past 4 months with no problems. What would cause the system to start having errors on 1 camera and rapidly escalate to ALL cameras having issues?

The client is obviously unhappy, and I've been in hyper damage controll mode for the past 2 weeks trying to get this problem taken care of, and it's only getting worse.

Here's some more details about the system.

18 cam analog

RJ56 / 18 gauge siamese cable

longest run is around 250'

one 16 port 24VAC powersupply completely filled up

one 8 port 24VAC powersupply with 2 ports in use

I'm in dire need of some experienced assistance here, and info would be helpful at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a hand held monitor?

What does the video look like coming off the camera?

I do not know if the camera has a power problem, or if you have a video cable problem.

Since I am not there on site, then I can only guess as to the cause.

I would swap camera one with another like camera. I want to see if the problem travels, or if the problem stays, but camera one works fine on another location.

If the video looks good at the camera, and bad at the head end then I would suspect a cable problem. Try replacing the connector.

What kind of connector is it? 2 piece crimp on, twist on, or compression?

If the video looks bad at the camera, then it could be power issues, or ground loop issues, or the power supply itself is causing the problem.

I wish I had a handheld

But this is the only analog system I've installed, everything else has been IP, so once I got past this install, the need went away, and thus the desire to get one.

All the connectors are 2 piece crimp ons. I've re-terminated almost every connection.

I've gotten the problem to clear up somewhat by electrical taping the connectors at the head end for shielding. However, it still randomly drops 1 camera or has a uniform dimming across all cameras in a "wave" like motion.

Since doing some basic shielding has helped but not eliminated the problem, I'm leaning towards the conclusion of environmental interference. Are there any advanced methods of shielding that may help further reduce or eliminate the issue?

Also, what would have caused to it have these problems all of the sudden, and escalate in the fashion they have?

Thanks for the insight.

Is your supply AC or DC?? Does your camera take either or strictly DC?

There is a fairly good chance that the cable lengths may be maxed out if you are using DC supply... by not having the choice because your camera may be a DC camera.

Is this a indoor system or are there cameras/wire running outdoor....if it is groundloop, you stated that the system was ok then developed this problem...ground loops are unpredictable they can come and go with moisture, and other enviornmental factors. You maybe getting current flow on the shield of the coaxial cable, have any new devices been thrown into the mix since the original install by your client? such as protection circuits or nearby ac switches been added anything power related, has cabling been disturbed or moved in any manner? In so far as cable and terminations it may pay to run a test of the suspect coaxial cable(s),a complete frequency scan within a ten mega-hertz bandwidth not just looking for a full 1volt peak to peak signal as many people do with a hand held, employing a frequency generator and a oscilloscope determine the true condition of the coax in service. Troubleshoot these types of problems one at a time, go to the cam/cams in question direct with a monitor is a start as suggested and observe the quality of the signal then work your way back to the headend/equipment if you dont have the tools or time to perform a qualified field test maybe try using a active or passive ground loop corrector try to isolate the dropped cam/see if that clears up the problem, investigate all your conections again look for any source of physical damage or improperly seated conectors anything touching etc...I recently had a entry cam modulated through a cable service working fine for two years, the client upgraded to digital and aside from the freq changes channel insetions (worked around that issue) a mystery ground loop problem showed up....installed a jensen VB-1bb isolated the signal and cleaned up to normal.

laugh out loud? Next time a contractor dumps a load of concrete in a footing for a load bearing column make sure some one aside from the plant has a quality assurance to the spec on the proper slump and density before you put your name on it same goes true for any electrical install be it low voltage or high its all voltage, point being if you are going to install and troubleshoot, having the ability to correctly test and the tools to do it follow your reputation. Example: today a lot of so called car mechanics are just part changers/sellers seems like a lot of cctv work is the same....just trying to help the poster.....have good day

No! No! If you thought I was riding you, I was not. I support your view 100%

I put that post in there for the casual reader who reads this thread, and they are thinking about "getting in the business". It looks like I can make a killing in this business!

These are the "installers" that give our industry a bad name, and a black eye!

I just do not think that the average joe looking to break in to the business realize how much we pros invest in tools, dewalts, testers, and specialty tools!

I am sorry if I came on to you that way!

I just think it is funny to make a killing in this business, but yet I have to have all of these tools on hand! I do not need the tools per se, as with experience I can solve a lot of issues on my own. The tools isolate the problems much quicker saving me, or the customer time, and money.

Again! My faux pax!

No problem Scorpion.....Im having a rough day my leukemia is acting up and I may have to go back on chemo.... makes me grumpy...I enjoy this forum cause we all try to help each other best of health to you.

My mother in law had breast cancer, and then she had the leukemia, and then she passed away. It was a tough time for my wife at the time. My wife was having our first baby on top of all of that. Baby induced emotional situation compounded by her mother's sickness. Oh boy! If we can survive that, then our marriage can survive hell, and back with no problem!!!!

Then her father ends up with Leukemia! Here we go again! He is done with the chemo, and he is back to normal.

Do you know how I know he is just fine? He is the same grumpy old bastard that he was before!!! I say this affectionatly, and he would be the first to admit it, so I am not talking "bad" about him per se.

I believe you will come out of this with flying colors! You seem like the tough cookie type!! Yes, it probably will get worse before it gets better!

You are a trouper, and I know you will be doing great in short time!!

If anything, give the doctors HELL!! LOL!!

One day at a time....Ok back to problem..Reighn328, also check/ask if there has been any recent power events, go to the ac (panel) source feeding your supplies, look for problems loose coroded terminals etc. loose nuetral... check additional outlets nearby, all , power... .. check all bricks attached to your system, power... your problem could be a malfunction due to common mode AC power interference...surge suppressors and retail normal mode filters will not solve a lot of these power issues, common noise(common being nuetral to ground) and frequency interference create a pathway to damage by disrupting the function of digital processors and sensitve equipment such as DVRs, PC... common mode-noise is very destructive, even low voltage spikes over time its possible that a event had taken place that caused your system to fail.... and continues, since you stated you replaced a portion of the system and it is still failing I suggest that you further investigate the signal path and all power related issues starting at the source and look for any and all possibilities of induced electrical noise. Electrical tape and additional shielding is a band-aid, try to hunt down the source otherwise it may haunt you later down the road. One bad cam/connection can disrupt your entire system try removing all cam/connections add one back with a solid signal....add one at a time see if it cleans up till you hit dirt....time consuming but hands on test. It is either your cams/signal/card/pc/ voltage or a combination of all....or tampering has taken place. Maybe look at the PC hardware itself...the video card and related cables any other visual corruption taking place within PC, do a full scan of the puter as well. I really think you can track this down, takes time. Good Luck