csoundso

Consumer DVR use with multiplexer?

Hello! We have a GYYR 16 ch multiplexer that has worked fine with several consumer VCR's. I bought a used RCA consumer DVR with DVD burner and while it records video fine ( picture looks great) I cant get the multiplexer to decode the DVR's video output into the individual cameras. Put a scope on the DVR output waveform and it seems that the signal and dc levels are quite different from what is going in. Also it does not seem to reproduce some of the timing signals produced by the multiplexer. Like I said the vcrs always worked fine and the DVR plays back a great picture if you just look at it in a monitor. Any ideas? Thanks much, Rob in Rochester, NY

Hey Rob, welcome...

From your hardware point of view, you basically have 2 choices.. either continue using your Mux and replace your VCR with single channel DVR (many available from Sanyo, Bosch and few others), OR, replace the entire system with 16 channel DVR only (without using the Mux)...

Obviously the cheaper option is a single channel DVR, which replaces your VCR... Sanyo's option starts a Single channel DVR (DSR-300) without hard drive and you add whatever size drive you need (up to 750GB PATA drive)... and here are some of its specs:

* “Sanyo VCR Replacementâ€

Thanks for the reply! I was actually hoping someone would know why this didn't work and what might be different about a single channel security DVR. Thanks

Thanks for the reply! I was actually hoping someone would know why this didn't work and what might be different about a single channel security DVR. Thanks

Someone here on the board once told me that some single channel DVR will not play back a multiplexed signal although it will record each channel. When you play it back you see what appears to be a slide show of each camera as it was multiplexed. I know some of the Sanyo single channels do this so you may have the same problem with the RCA

Seems like this post is going in circles...

csoundso, which RCA consumer DVR did you buy for this application? What are its capabilities and better yet, what is its main use? Is it for security surveillance or for recording TV shows?

I have a Sony YS-DX 516 Multiplexer and a single channel HSR-X200 digital recorder. You can view each channel separately or in multi screen during live view or playback when using it with the Sony Multiplexer. However, there are many negative issues in regard to the set up because the recorder was really designed for single channel recording. There are just too many issues to discuss here. From my experience with this early model recorder, you would be better off taking the money you would spend on a single channel recorder and put it into the newer digital recorders with the multiplexer or mux built in.

As to why your recorder or DVR is not working properly with your multiplexer, I think it may not be compatible with the recorder. When I was researching, before buying, I found that only certain multiplexers would work with certain recorders. In fact, Sony gave a specific list of multiplexers that would work. And, if I remember correctly, the few other manufactures I looked into did too. Anyway, if it were me, I would do as I mentioned above. Put your money into something better and keep the multiplexer and VCR for a backup if something should go wrong with the newer equipment.