rory

Tropical Storm Noel

Well we are getting tons of rain from it now, actually alot of wind and rain from yesterday. It may come this way, may not, but guys in South Florida might want to keep your eyes out for it also, it seems there is a Tropical Storm watch in your area now.

Winds at 50mph currently where it is located just off Cuba, and expected to increase.

We are expecting power to go off sometime tonight, and that normally lasts a day, or two, during storms like this. A full hurricane could knock it out for weeks though.

67911_1.jpg

67911_2.jpg

67911_3.jpg

Here on the east coast it has been windy, and over cast the past several days. Tuesday was not a good day for installing cameras.

Mark said that he was muddy from head to toe. Trenching was not a fun project for a rainy day. He said he tried to dodge the rain, and work in the attic, and go back outside as it passed. He did not seem to happy at the end of the day.

Thanks, all we can do is wait and see now, its up to 60mph though and moving again, they claim we will get something if we are going to get it, 2pm tomorrow, though it has also been suggested that it is going to speed up and hit sooner. I cleared up the yard this evening, put away all the rusty machetes, rakes, shovels, etc.

LOL .. we're supposed to get it by 2pm .. still got a while yet but it is blowing hard and lots of rain all night so far ... the waiting is the worse .. not knowing when the power will go off .. by 8am though it is supposed to hit Andros Island, which is to the south west of us .. Im in Nassau BTW .. the little dot on the right of Andros (the large island) but we're the Capital City

Im on the beach so when the sun comes up ill go out side and get some shots .. didnt bother connecting my DVR to the mux tonight as well the power will be off anyway if we get the big storm.

Dunno man .. but we are waiting for the eye to pass right now ... im watching the trees as its been dead calm no wind at all for the past few hours ... I see some movement so going outside to check ... will reply about the roof stuff once its over ..

Darn, cut my hip at 6am this morning screwing up plywood over my windows in the rain, even slipped down in some mud and busted my ankle on the concrete walkway . .. for nothing . .. the eye seemed to just break up and the storm is over .. for us at least .. might have some more rain though but no more wind right now. .. oh well was fun while it lasted

Dang, sorry to hear you almost got took out Rory.

So it looks like it's headed out. That should be good news for you scorpion eh?

When does hurricane season end? I'll be in Miami for a phone system install the end of the month. I don't wish anything tragic but a little somethin, somethin would be exciting for this Nor Cal native. Even a little thunderstorm would go a long way towards my WoW factor.

It's coming to an end now. I'm kinda surprised Florida didn't get hit this year. I was truly hoping for it. Yah, I know, how sick.

However, It's when I make the most money. Repair jobs are mucho money!

Do you guys use slate or metal? Would Asphalt shingles last through much of that?

ok finally got some sleep ..

Shingles and alot of roofs are painted with Roof Mastic. Dont know about the slate or metal part though.

I actually thought hurricane season was over by now, apparently not though, but its suppose to be over soon. This storm eventually turned into a hurricane today, so lets hope it doesn't swing around and come right back. Leaving the plywood up for now though.

And now I can finally get back to work, first have to clean up the water damage.

We have had the same weather for over a week now. It could be sun shiny in one time frame, and in another it could be grey, overcast/cloudy, and the rains come in "bands". These are storm clouds that come from the major part of the storm. As they peal off, we get momentary weather "extremes". Once the band passes by, then it is back to an overcast kind of day.

The only worry for us the past few days would be to have a storm cloud "cell" that could spawn a tornado.

For those of you who are not familiar with a hurricane take a look at a Florida map. Where the land juts out in to the sea on the east coast, that is where the rockets/space shuttle go up at Kennedy Space Center (non military (to some degree), and Canaveral Air Station (military rockets). Cape Canaveral is a city south of the launch area, and south of there is Cocoa Beach made famous by the I Dream of Jeanie TV series. (This is where they catch chocolate fish for Shamu at the Sea Aqariums)! South of this area is Melbourne Fl.

If a Hurricane were to hit a little north of Vero Beach, and it is a Cat 5, then we in Melbourne will get ripped a new one like you have never seen!!

Are you confused? Here is why. Look at the rotation of the storm. It goes counter clock wise. When the eye wall is hitting north of Vero Beach, then the rotation will send the worse of the storm clouds to the north of the eye. We in Melbourne will receive the "brunt" of the storm. The damage in Melbourne will be the same as the small area that was hit with the actual eye of the hurricane.

Now look at your map again. Look for Patrick Air Force Base, (formally the Banana River Naval Station of WWII), and look at the area just north of Patrick, and South of Cocoa Beach. The barrier island is very, very thin.

If a cat 5 hits directly near this area, then my belief is that we will have a new inlet!! If you are an investor then I recommend that you buy land along Merrit Island west of this area. You will be able to open one hell of a Marina to cater to this new "inlet" to the sea!

QUESTION:

If a hurricane exceeds the wind speed of the category number 5 then would that be classified as enhanced as .....

Cat 5E

??? LOL!

Scorpion, Rory, hope you fellas stay safe...I think we are in for a rough winter too, just got a feeling. My family back in south florida is still rebuilding damage from last year.

Scorpion,

You have put too much thought into this scenerio. Sadly, let me go ahead and blow it all to heck and back.

There's a reason why KSC is built where it's at. Many many years ago, when the space agency was being formed, they did a lot of research and probability scales on how often, if at all, would the area have direct hits.

Yes, we got a lot of "grazes", but how often have you heard of the eye of the storm actually passing over this area? Even when Florida got blasted with 4 hurricanes in one year, Brevard county never took a "direct hit"

So there you have it. According to NASA, it's not going to happen!