cctvfan

Hi-sensitivity mic for DVR audio

Looking for a high-sensitivity PC-type mic (PREFERRABLY small enough to be disguised for covert app.) to be hooked up to the audio of a PC DVR.

The trouble I'm having with most PC mic's is that the sound pick-up is very poor for sources more than ~5 feet away. I need a mic that works well for up to 15 ft because that's the size of the room under surveillance (pin-hole cams).

PS I've already set the mic's recording level in Windows to maximum.

Thanks in advance.

if the PC DVR audio in (if it has one) has a built in line level amp, as does TV's and CCTV Monitors and Stand alone DVRs, you can simply hook up something like the Louroe mics:

http://www.louroe.com/mics.asp

These work great .. based out of Cali, USA.

You just use any 12V power supply as they dont need much ampage. Multi Output 12v power supplies combined with 12V cameras also work.

Rory

Rory, Thanks for your prompt and *custom* solution -- from one of the Louroe specs it says will works up to 15' which is EXACTLY WHAT I NEED!!!

"The low impedance electret condenser microphone can pick up normal sounds approximately 15' away or within a 30' diameter circle."

Now I'll have to work on the "covert part" of the requirement (but this part is much easier:-)

Thanks again.

Maybe I can help you there also:

First, they claim 15', they tend to pick up further than that. I have them, for example, in a gas station, and when the door is open or in the cash booth, you can hear the people outside, such as cars, etc. I imagine that is a mimimum 15' radius from the center point.

Second - Covert

They have one I also use, that is basically a electric gang box cover with a mic on the inside, they also have a version that comes with the gang box, but I find it cheaper on shipping just to get the face plate, as you can then also just use any gang box in or outside the wall.

http://www.louroe.com/mics.asp?model=dmic

http://www.louroe.com/mics.asp?model=amic

The A-mic looks like a heat detector and can be mounted anywhere, especially useful for drop ceilings.

One thing to note. PC's take standard line-in inputs. All of that was codefided when the music hardware makers set up the midi standard. So any mike should work just fine.

does that mean they will work with the Louroe mics? I never though to try one in my PC..had one sitting here for weeks until recently.

Rory

Rory, may be you can help me with one small confusion ... the Louroe page says the mic is "phantom powered" from a base station, which can be located at up to 1,000 ft away.

Not sure what "phantom powered" means, but my concern is that I'll have to purchase both (the mic & base station)??

I found the mic at SpyTown for only $95. But it now appears I haven't included the cost of the base station

no you dont need the base station if you dont want it.

Basically the base station lets you switch between zones by push button.

It should work just fine. The only thing you may need is an adaptor for the plug. Some mics have a bigger jack then others, but there is a standard adaptor for that.

cctv mic for geovision or other dvr is a line level input sensitivity ~0.2-1.0v

lourou is litle overprice mic solution ,i am looking for lower cost model

like this or smaller sm componets model cost ~$8-$20 not $80 or more for

$10 of parts

seen this on web

http://www.houstoncomputer.com/~dusan/files/cctv/micamp/miccctv.JPG

anybody know what place to buy some like this in jpg ?

i have schematics all i need is pcb layout and make some pcb and assemble

nice model is a audio compresor / agc and filter model,still looking for better ic's for this cctv line level mic like hearing aid ic chip

dusan

Well, we are not manufacturers, so we have to buy ready built products, and Loroue is one of the few that sells audio mics etc for CCTV.

Thanks all for your responses, especially to Rory with the good news about Louroe's base station, i.e. I don't need one

Here ya go:

http://207.207.29.130/store/prodinfo.asp?number=PA3&variation=&aitem=12&mitem=22

I've used these and they work pretty well. I did have 4 short out on me but that was because of moisture (outside install) and I switched the polarity.

I could hear cars, the hum of outside and even people talking from about 20' away (of course not completely perfectly). If it was inside a room it could easily pick up a conversation, i'm not sure how well it would work with a lot of background noise though but at $10...

Wow! Pretty impressive: the size, the price, and the built-in preamp, ...

I've bookmarked it for my next project that needs sound. Thanks!

yeah, but you still need something to put it in, thats why Lorou are nice, they provide the discreet housing already, and have one for all applications Thanks, ill stick with Loroue in the audio area ..

Yes, the Lorous are very nice and quality i'm sure is top notch, but they are 10x as much, that extra money could buy a lot of things to put it in .

I guess it just comes down to the right tool for the right job.

Here is the company that manufactures these:

http://www.misumi.com.tw/

They even have one that has a > 63db s/n ratio but it's like $30 wholesale.

DC 12V RCA Female

Output Frequency : 20 -16000Hz

S/N ratio : more than 63 db

W/50 cm cable 6x18x8 mm

$75 for the ceiling mount Loroue Microphone, 30' radious, worth it, ready built product.

Rory

Where can I find a Louroe Verifact A or D with the power supply 75 feet of cable and the RCA connectin needed for my GV-800-4? Also does anyone know if it is legal to record in Texas?

As I understand the law for recording (in the jusidiction of Texas) Texas is a one party consent state and as long as you don't record phone converstations then you won't run afoul of wiretap laws.

Thanks, Thomas.

If one party needs to know i guess that the store clerk would know and the customer does not need to. But what happens if two people in your store are recoreded that do not know? I was going to put the mic over my cash register but i am sure it would also pickup customer personal conversations.

Where can I find a Louroe Verifact A or D with the power supply 75 feet of cable and the RCA connectin needed for my GV-800-4? Also does anyone know if it is legal to record in Texas?

http://www.spytown.com/lourel.html

Or, you can pick the part numbers from here:

http://www.louroe.com

then order from a local rep. My reps are in Florida so a little out of your neighborhood, if not, i can give you a name and number and he can overnight it for you.

Rory