moe

GE DVMRe and Port Forwarding

Do the GE DVMRe CT models allow ports other than 80 to be used for remote monitoring? My ISP blocks port 80 and I usually serve on 8000 or 8080.

Also, I do not have a static ip and would need to use a dynamic DNS service provider using my own domain. Can I do this with a DVMRe?

Thanks

Do the GE DVMRe CT models allow ports other than 80 to be used for remote monitoring? My ISP blocks port 80 and I usually serve on 8000 or 8080.

Also, I do not have a static ip and would need to use a dynamic DNS service provider using my own domain. Can I do this with a DVMRe?

Thanks

Can't answer for the DVR, but you should be able to accomplish this all on your router.

Is the DVR plugged right into the internet, or does it sit behind a router/firewall?

If it sits behind a router (and it has an ip address like 192.168.1.x or 10.x.x.x) then you should be able to configure the port forwarding on the router. Also, some routers allow you to use one port number inside your network and another outside.

ie Your router ip is 1.2.3.4 (public internet) and your DVR is 192.168.1.2 (private intranet) The router would listen on port 1.2.3.4:8000 and forward those requests to 192.168.1.2:80. Your DVR only ever sees requests on port 80 so it works normally. Your DVR would have to list the router's internal IP (usually 192.168.1.1) as the default gateway.

That way you can use 8000 to avoid the ISP's filter, but still be able to use port 80 in the DVR.

If you are behind a router you'd have to setup port forwarding even if you set the DVR to 8000 - the difference is that cheaper routers might only forward the same port number on the internet - ie if you use 8000 on the router you must use 8000 on the DVR. But any decent router should allow you to switch ports. I'll check my Linksys WRT4G when I get home to see if it allows a port# change on port forwarding.

Also, with dynamic DNS - you are dynamically addressing the address of the router, not the DVR, so the DDNS config is done on the router anyways. You go to a DDNS provider (my linksys came with instructions in the manual) on the net and create a DNS hostname, and then configure the router to send IP address updates to the DDNS provider. That way you can type in DVR.MyHouse.DDNSProvider.com:8000 and get to your DVR.

BE WARNED that larger companies will block outbound internet traffic on anythign except 80, etc and many will also use a web proxy that will recognize if you are trying to use port 80 for non-http traffic. So you need to test if the remote conenction that you are going to be using the DVR from will allow the port# AND the type of traffic (streaming video?)you want to use before you spend any money on hardware.

If you are hooking up your DVR direct to public internet then you can always spend $60 on a linksys router and configure as above. None of the DVRs that I've worked with (3!) had DDNS but they all had a configurable port#.

Thanks for all the info, Scruit!

Anyone know of the typical outbound traffic ports that DVR's use?

WaveReader uses port 1024 and as far as I know, this cannot be changed (or at least never could be).

Their newer DVRs allow changing the HTTP port as mentioned above, the older ones dont allow any change there (couple years or so older).

The newer GE's do allow you to change the Wavereader port from 1024. But, you have to change an ini file in wavereader, which means all the DVR's that you connect to with that computer must be set the same. Or, have wavereader installed twice in two different directory locations...