SUPRA VVTI

Avtech DVR, confused which hdd?

Hello

I've just bought an Avtech 715 Dvr , there's a list of compatible hdd's in the back of the manual but it only suggests one 500GB hdd which is a Hitachi but I'm struggling to find one for sale anywhere.

In the manual it says IDE TYPE, ATA66.

Can I use any 500GB IDE drive, the manual is confusing to say the least?

Most ATA66 or higher drives should work, the list is just the ones they have tested.

Buy a disk with the understanding that you can return it if it's not compatible, most likely it will work fine.

Most ATA66 or higher drives should work, the list is just the ones they have tested.

Buy a disk with the understanding that you can return it if it's not compatible, most likely it will work fine.

Hitachi, western digital, and seagate are all great IDE HDD's..

I have rean into issues in the past with Maxtor HD's

Hope this helps

Many thanks to you both, I'll go for a Western Digital one.

As I recall, A few years ago they recommended Hitachi for a large HD because it consumed less power than the others and Maxtors were excluded because of excessive startup currents. Seagate makes Hard Drives designed for surveillance recorders. (The SV35 series) I personally have had the best luck with Seagate drives in DVR's.

Compare the start and run currents of the drives before you decide.

Your unit has a 19 volt power supply so the 5 & 12 vdc regulation for the drives must be inside the unit. (You might want to check them for heat before putting this unit in service)

Good Luck