robinlane

Real Time Recording Direct To domestic DVD disk

Hi

No one seems to be able to answer whether this is possible. Spoken to a few CCTV companies with conflicting answers.

I need to be able to switch on the cameras and record direct to an external DVD. The DVD would need to be able to be played in a domestic player for the end user.

The use would be to record children's birthday parties up to a max of 2 hours off up to 3 cameras via a switcher and be simple for unskilled employees to just press a couple of buttons and then eject the disk and pass on to the client, unedited and capable of playback in the majority of domestic players.

Is it possible to connect say 3 cameras to a switcher and output the signal to a domestic DVD recorder. All of the cameras would be in the same room so therefore it would be best to have one single microphone being recorded for the audio.

Anybody help?

Robin

Hi

No one seems to be able to answer whether this is possible. Spoken to a few CCTV companies with conflicting answers.

I need to be able to switch on the cameras and record direct to an external DVD. The DVD would need to be able to be played in a domestic player for the end user.

The use would be to record children's birthday parties up to a max of 2 hours off up to 3 cameras via a switcher and be simple for unskilled employees to just press a couple of buttons and then eject the disk and pass on to the client, unedited and capable of playback in the majority of domestic players.

Is it possible to connect say 3 cameras to a switcher and output the signal to a domestic DVD recorder. All of the cameras would be in the same room so therefore it would be best to have one single microphone being recorded for the audio.

Anybody help?

Robin

Hi we have a solution like this, but not to playback on domestic DVD players! http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9891 the 2 top screenshots of a interview studio system that records directly too 3 DVD burners for several hours with audio.

But sadly for you they will not work on a domestic DVD player even if the codec is included into the DVD discs recorded too.

JD

Are you wanting to record one camera at a time? If so a camera switcher or an AV switch will work. (The picture will probably momentarily jump when switched)

If this is not what you want to do you will need a more elaborate setup.

One way or another, you always pay for what you get.

Yup all you need is a consumer DVD recorder, often marketed to convert VHS to DVD. Plug you cameras into a switcher and plug the switcher into the input of the DVD recorder.

Yup all you need is a consumer DVD recorder, often marketed to convert VHS to DVD. Plug you cameras into a switcher and plug the switcher into the input of the DVD recorder.

Well that's just what I want, when researching this no one said it could be this simple. I didn't want to buy anything without confirmation but I was sure it could be done. My initial intention was to use a camcorder plugged into a DVD player but camera shops said this couldn't be done either, you couldn't record in real time onto an external domestic DVD. I now believe this was wrong advice as well.

Does anyone think the audio might be a problem? Is it possible to record the audio from a single microphone regardless as to what is going on with the switcher? Also any advice on the price range of the camera s I should look at? Remember that the use is for parents to have the DVD as a gift showing their kids birthday party at my venue.

I have a liteon 5045 hdd/dvd recorder, lets you record from tv/vcr or pretty much whatever you can plug into it, it has audio/video sockets, scart, think it also has firewire socket (not used that though).

You can plug in any compatible stuff, if it would work on a tv with those sockets, it would record on the recorder.

As its got a hard drive, you can record direct to that, and then edit/burn as many copies as you want later on.

Take a look to see whats currently available, as mine is a older model, but yeah, you should be fine.

I do this exact thing quite often. My Plextor Hardware encoder PX TV402U, using the WinDVD creator, can write directly to DVD disk. I have encoded all my home movies, etc. from my Super8/VHS tapes to my PC hard drive in DIVX format. Can then make DVD disk from this AVI file. I use this PX TV402u to record TV programs also, as it has a built-in TV tuner. Also check out Happauge WinTV PVR USB2, as I have one of these also. Any questions about this hardware, PM me.