rory

GV2008 (x2) or GV1480

Check out the 2 following example specs for PCs:

GV2008 (x2 Cards=16) - PCI 2 Slots

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0, 4GB DDR2-800, 1500GB, DVD, PCI-E video

Keyboard, Mouse, and IR Remote Control included.

GV1480 - PCI-e (x1) 1 Slot

Intel Core 2 Extreme 3.0, 4GB DDR2-800, 1500GB, DVD, PCI-E video

Both are about the same cost on parts, the hardware compression one is actually $200 cheaper.

So since the GV2008 does Mpeg4 and at least in my case I use Geo's Fast Mpeg4 when using the other cards, would it make sense to even mess with the GV1480 anymore? Seems like the hardware compression would be the better choice yeah? I dont need H2.64 except for the webcam server. The GV2008 is supposed to be real time in D1 live and record and also higher quality.

Any opinions?

Thanks

PS. I already know XP 32 bit wont recognize the entire 4GB

Check out the 2 following example specs for PCs:

GV2008 (x2 Cards=16) - PCI 2 Slots

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0, 4GB DDR2-800, 1500GB, DVD, PCI-E video

GV1480 - PCI-e (x1) 1 Slot

Intel Core 2 Extreme 3.0, 4GB DDR2-800, 1500GB, DVD, PCI-E video

Both are about the same cost on parts, the hardware compression one is actually $200 cheaper.

So since the GV2008 does Mpeg4 and at least in my case I use Geo's Fast Mpeg4 when using the other cards, would it make sense to even mess with the GV1480 anymore? Seems like the hardware compression would be the better choice yeah? I dont need H2.64 except for the webcam server. The GV2008 is supposed to be real time in D1 live and record and also higher quality.

Any opinions?

Thanks

PS. I already know XP 32 bit wont recognize the entire 4GB

Hi Rory!

Have you miscalculated a bit?

2 X 2008 costs about 75/76% more then a GV-1480/16 out from Geovision.

Guess around 600USD more for 2XGV2008 then a GV-1480.

Hardware wise I think you can run the same setup, but I have had issues with some MB and Graphic cards that are running fine on GV-1480 giving a lot of problems on GV-200X.

JS

Hi Rory!

Hardware wise I think you can run the same setup, but I have had issues with some MB and Graphic cards that are running fine on GV-1480 giving a lot of problems on GV-200X.

JS

No no, check the PC specs, the total cost includes the Core 2 Extreme for the GV1480, which brings both complete systems to the same exact cost.

Hi Rory!

JS

No no, check the PC specs, the total cost includes the Core 2 Extreme for the GV1480, which brings both complete systems to the same exact cost.

Well, why not skip the extreme CPU then and replace it with a Dual Core of same type as the other PC system?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

JD

The extreme CPU would be to get the full or close to the full 480fps, as the Dual Core alone wont get 480fps in 640x480 or D1.

The extreme CPU would be to get the full or close to the full 480fps, as the Dual Core alone wont get 480fps in 640x480 or D1.

Hi again, what frame rate you get in D1 with the extreme?

JD

JD

Well no idea, but its gotta be a lot better than just the dual core, the Extreme CPU is Quad Core with 12MB cache .. flyin!!

JD

Well no idea, but its gotta be a lot better than just the dual core, the Extreme CPU is Quad Core with 12MB cache .. flyin!!

Well I am not so sure about that Rory, cause so long your Dual Core 2,33GHz 4MB Cache dosent run on 100% it still should give you more frame rates, but it dosent run much higher then 70/80 % so I think it is other bottlenecks on the GV-Systems as well.

Have you seen any remarkable change in framerate in D1 when switching from a GV-1480/16 card too a GV-1240/8 for instance when using the same hardware as for the GV-1480?

The 480FPS that GV is saying is for 480 FPS @ CIF not for D1.

I have eaten to much!

JD

I think Rory is betting that he will also get better framerates with the pci express card because of fater data transfer rates. Avermedia's PCI express cards do D1 at 480fps with software compression so it would make sense that the GV-1480 PCI Express could do close.

I think Rory is betting that he will also get better framerates with the pci express card because of fater data transfer rates. Avermedia's PCI express cards do D1 at 480fps with software compression so it would make sense that the GV-1480 PCI Express could do close.

Hi 501! This sounds intresting. Keep me informed Rory, I shall look if I can dind the PCI E card I got as well and have a test!

JD

I see what Rory is saying.

If I recall, Toms Hardware showed that the Extreme offers a fair amount of performance over the dual cores and even other quad cores...but also offers a pretty large pricetag.

(In fact, the Extreme is what Geo is recommending for their NVR software)

I'd go with the 2008 x2 on the dual core.

Unfortunately, GV-1480 PCI-Ex includes only PCI-PCIEx bridge, other components are the same. We have tested PCI-Ex - performance is the same as PCI, which is 480 fps CIF, ~200 fps D1.

GV-2008 rocks, but it needs lots of HDD space.

Like Rory, am building a system right now and was planning on using the 480 PCI Express instead of standard PCI in hopes of better frame rates, but now I guess I'll have to reconsider. Hmmm, does the 2008 card do 640x480 (not the de-interlaced) at 30fps?

Like Rory, am building a system right now and was planning on using the 480 PCI Express instead of standard PCI in hopes of better frame rates, but now I guess I'll have to reconsider. Hmmm, does the 2008 card do 640x480 (not the de-interlaced) at 30fps?

With GV-2008 you cannot choose resolution 640x480, only 720x576 PAL D1 or 720x480 NTSC D1.

GV-2008 card does 400 fps at D1. It's really like DVD quality.

Hi 501! This sounds intresting. Keep me informed Rory, I shall look if I can dind the PCI E card I got as well and have a test!

JD

Well i dont think I can afford to test it, so it will probably just stay as a theory.

Question remains though, if you had the choice, would you sell both systems, or just one of them, such as the 2008x2 ?

Im thinking with the 1480 at least you can do H.264 if needed to get a lot longer recording, however the cost of hard drives are cheap now.

Just wondering where you stand on this thread 8 months later...

I'm trying to search around for video clips taken from the hardware compressed GV card

JD

NOpe Nope and wrong again Rory!

Dual core does not equal Core 2 Duo.

They are totally different, and in my mind you should not be using Dual Core for the GV cards at all unless you are using "Core 2 Duo" or "Core 2 Extreme" which both are similar but Extreme is just a big more powerful by around 1.5 for 2-3 times the price.

Core 2 Duo is also good as Quad-Core as they are derived from the similar tree, simply having 2 more cores, but still built on Core 2 Duo technology.

GV cards won't be able to harness much extra processing power from a quad core. They have to be specifically made for it to notice any real difference. And in many instances, Quad cores are cheaper than some Core 2 Duo cards of the same speed.

With my experience, Core 2 Extreme is good with anything. But not worth your money. Core 2 Duo or Even Quad Cores have better value.

REgards

joey

JD

They are totally different, and in my mind you should not be using Dual Core for the GV cards at all unless you are using "Core 2 Duo" or "Core 2 Extreme" which both are similar but Extreme is just a big more powerful by around 1.5 for 2-3 times the price.

Core 2 Duo is also good as Quad-Core as they are derived from the similar tree, simply having 2 more cores, but still built on Core 2 Duo technology.

GV cards won't be able to harness much extra processing power from a quad core. They have to be specifically made for it to notice any real difference. And in many instances, Quad cores are cheaper than some Core 2 Duo cards of the same speed.

With my experience, Core 2 Extreme is good with anything. But not worth your money. Core 2 Duo or Even Quad Cores have better value.

REgards

joey

Unless Geovision is a using a single threaded encoder (which would be extremely odd), it should benfit from multiple cores. For applications to benfit from multi-core technology you need a multi-threaded application. Those are moderately rare, but almost all video encoders should be multi-threaded.

Unless Geovision is a using a single threaded encoder (which would be extremely odd), it should benfit from multiple cores. For applications to benfit from multi-core technology you need a multi-threaded application. Those are moderately rare, but almost all video encoders should be multi-threaded.

Geovision support claims they USE all 4 cores for H.264 V2 encoding, it's just you need to enable this advanced feature for each camera.

Geovision support claims they USE all 4 cores for H.264 V2 encoding, it's just you need to enable this advanced feature for each camera.

That seems odd. It's easier to write a multi-threaded encoder then it is to write a single threaded one that handles multiple inputs.

JD

Actually you are wrong in this case

When I say Dual Core I mean Core 2 Duo. Personally I have never used a Pentium D so I would not be discussing that CPU.

So was there ever a conclusion to this guys?

2 x 2008 cards it is then? Heres hoping that 8Tbs will capture me 20-30 days of all 16 channels.

If any thinks any different i;d love to hear it, before i plump for 8 of these cards.

Just wondering where you stand on this thread 8 months later...

I'm trying to search around for video clips taken from the hardware compressed GV card

Hi! I got video files from GV-2008 and so on, but I am in a rebuild of web servers, ftp servers etc. so I dont have them for download. You have a place I can upload them for you?

JD

So was there ever a conclusion to this guys?

2 x 2008 cards it is then? Heres hoping that 8Tbs will capture me 20-30 days of all 16 channels.

If any thinks any different i;d love to hear it, before i plump for 8 of these cards.

Should be around 20 days. GV-2008 capture around 1 GB per camera per hour.