serial

Options other than OEM

I've been looking everywhere for a decent brand of cameras/DVR's/mounts, maybe a complete solution supplier (NO OEM).

From what I gather Samsung, Ganz (dunno much about them), Pelco and Bocsh are options. What is everyones take here?

I started installing CCTV a while ago and the company I worked for installed mostly OEM crap, I'd like to put an end to it.

Thanks!

You are in the right track bud... OEM crap never really gave the solutions that we most want.

No one manufacturer has a "complete" solution.. Everyone have something of everything.

The way that we work is to provide very rich mixture of hardware and software from various manufacturers... i.e. CBC, Bosch, Panasonic, Sanyo, American Dynamics, GE Security and few others.. This way you provide better options to your customers by tapping these channels, thus creating your own solutions.. something is more manageable...

Besides, with all these brand name manufacturers, you have plenty of support directly or indirectly and combined with 3 years warranty, most of the time helps to close your deals.. unlike OEM crap that usually is no more than 1 year warranty.

If you need more info, please PM...

OEM still has its place though, budget jobs. In the ghetto most cant afford anything but OEM.

Anyway as mentioned no one manufacturer has a camera for every application, you would need to first select which cameras you want to sell, which camera for which applications (wall mount vandal camera, 4 way fixed vandal domes, etc), then worry about which manufacturer it is after that.

Ya, sometimes it's hard to go to do a quote to install cameras for the local drugstore or car wash, and tell them they need 6 or 8 upper end Bosch Cameras, Bosch DVR, etc... when they have a budget in mind of of like $4k for a complete camera system installed. OEM may not be as good, but it definitley has it's place and not every customer has large pockets like Rory said.

Depends a lot on where you are, I have used Direct LVS for a lot of different brands and equipment www dot directlvs dot com. Course now I don't do much in installs, but I do like to keep others in mind that helped me.

Some OEM companies have products with very much near the same quality as a brand name. Eclipse comes to mind. Their 557HIM vandal dome, 598HIM bullet, 553HQD full size are easily comparable to a Pelco, Bosch, GE, or Panasonic same spec camera and it will let you pocket 20-40% more margin depending on the install. You can't find pricing for Eclipse cameras online, but you can easily find pricing for brand name products and show your customer how much they are saving. Same goes for their Nubix and NubixDX series DVRs with built in point of sale and optional marketing integration. Though, from what I'm told, they have their own engineer and office in Asia so many of their products are exclusive.

www.eclipsecctv.com

We use both, we don't look at the manufacture when testing equipment.

The only downside to OEM which we have encountered is usually the warranty is lower, but right now one of my vendors gives us these kick ass cameras with 3 year warrantys, that are at least 60% less in cost then the name brand counterpart. I've been installing that camera for the last 3 and a half years without hitch.

Bottom line, OEM has it's place, like anything else, it depends who it is, and where you got it from.

Also, lets not forget what OEM means: Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Now, I've bought DVR's from the OEM from pelco before! Never have blind trust in big name manufacture, never have complete doubt about OEMs, just give them both a balanced approach, and remember, everyone wants to sell you THEIR stuff!

An example of that: a few years ago Pelco OEMed the Eclipse Nubix4U and called it the DX4004 I believe after Eclipse was selling it for well over a year already.