Sign in to follow this  
Scruit

Heating a DVR

The AverDigi EB1304MOB mobile DVR has a low-temp cutoff of no lower and 0 deg C. It's -8 outside today. This means that the mobile DVR won't record untilt he interior of the car warmed up - that can take up to 10 minutes, and my commute is only 15 - so right now I'm losing 2/3 of the video due to the cold protect.

I asked Aver about me using a dedicated mobile Harddrive (endurator?) rated for something like -20c, but the support tech said thay 0C is the lowest setting.

I have two options:

1) Request a firmware update that is good for -20c.

2) Heat the DVR (with a camera housing heater?)

Does anyone know of a camera housing heater that could be attached to the DVR and would keep it warm without draining the car battery?

I found a 13w thermostatically controlled camera housing heater that lists at 9.99 GPB (~$20), but that's within the UK. Anything in the US?

You might want to fab your own using a Peltier Junction Thermo Electric Heat Pump http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/peltier/ck500.htm. http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/peltier/Peltier_example.jpg after seeing your posts you seem to enjoy your projects. Ive made up some cooler/heater set ups using these to make a atv coffee cup warmer and tractor battery warmer just note that even when using a reversing switch for hot/cold you must let the unit either cool down or heat up before switching you can use the unit for summer and winter months (heat and cool depending on the season)

Can remember driving a Beetle and putting an electric heater in the car at night and running an extension cord to plug it in, don't know if that would help, but it definately had the car interior nice and warm in the morning.

Can remember driving a Beetle and putting an electric heater in the car at night and running an extension cord to plug it in, don't know if that would help, but it definately had the car interior nice and warm in the morning.

LOL!!