methcat

761 vs 781

i was following some of scorpions referrals to the 781 dvr but don't see it on the mfgs website anymore... other than extra features, is there a picture quality difference between these two models? i see the spec sheet for the 761 and it records at 240 lines. the only specs i can find for the other are from ebay sellers pages and they "seem" to suggest that the 781 records at 480 lines, but i'm not sure...

thanks guys

edit*** i gues i need to update this, i was set on the 781, but found another CPD 4ch, the 503. the specs seem the same as the 501(781) except it seems to support 3 hard drives( again, i'm guessing with hit and miss documentation). anybody know what benefits would be in the 503 vs 501?

so i've kinda gathered that the 503 is a repackaged 501 with a couple of new bells like remote, more audio channels, and a removable hard drive (just don't have to open the case).

i've read in some of the other posts about new/old network applications and whether these use java now or only active x still. it seems like scorpion is the only one who knows these intimately... have any input on the difference between these? and are they significanly better than the 761? they seem to average almost double the cost (which still isn't much).

Go to my website, and you can down load both manuals for comparison.

http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

The AVTech 783 will look like the 785. They put it in to the bigger case when the 783 needs to have the DVR writer.

If budget is of the essence then the AVC 783 is a great machine!

http://211.75.84.102/web/manu/783.pdf

http://scorpiontheater.com/Documents/AVTech_Manual_English_CPD503_505_507_V0.99.pdf

The CPCam CPD 503 is the same machine. CPCam is another name for AVTech.

AVTech is the manufacture, and the CPCam is the Sales division.

How I can tell that I have the right machine is to look at the audio inputs. If you have 4 audio inputs then you have a true 783 (503) even if it is not packaged in the larger 785 (505) style case.

The AVC 781 is a model 2 with two audio inputs.

http://scorpiontheater.com/Documents/AVTech_Manual_English_AVC_760_782_V1.1.pdf

The 503 is not a repackaged 501. It is two seperate boards.

Look at page 2 of this

http://scorpiontheater.com/Documents/AVTech_Manual_English_CPD503_505_507_V0.99.pdf

FRAME

720 X 480 pixels with 30 IPS NTSC

720 X 576 pixels with 25 IPS PAL

CIF

352 X 240 pixels with 120 IPS NTSC

352 X 288 pixels with 100 IPS PAL

Divide by 4 channels. 30/4=7.5 per channel in frame.

120/4=30 per channel in CIF

Oh boy! I think I am confused now!!

What do you think?

Edited by Guest

thanks alot for those links, not sure why i didn't run into them on your site. so it looks like there is no difference in the video specs on the 2 boards (501/503) just the audio and peripherals (remote, extra drive array, etc). they both seem to record 720 X 480 pixels with 30 IPS NTSC in frame.

that said different equipment with the same specs can perform differently, do you have any opinions on the 503 vs 501 video quality wise? or are they pretty much the same thing?

thanks again for stopping by my post.

The video is going to be same.

Just be advised that the 30 IPS is to be divided among all of the cameras.

You will be getting 7.5 IPS per channel at frame.

You can add a disk array to both machines to expand your storage.

They both can be hooked up to a computer monitor with an adapter.

It really would not matter which of the two machines to decide on.

Cost would be the first deciding factor, and future use would be another.

I am glad that my website is a valuable resource to those searching for the hard to find "nuggets" of information.

I find it unbelievable the lack of information that is on the web.

I went looking for spanish manuals, and I could not find any!

I thought with California, Texas, and Florida, that there would be an abundance of companies out there with spanish manuals! I was wrong.

I wish I had more time to devote to the tech support page. There is a lot more information that I can post in regards to AVTech, and CPCam, but I just cannot find the time to do so.

Maybe some volunteers can get together to add more "tech support" to the page.

As I come across the "hard problems" then I add those problems, and solutions to the page.

If any one is interested I can show you the listings that come from search engines. It would baffle you how much this information is needed by everyone out there!

thanks for the info yet again, the frame rate isn't bad for me as i only plan on 2 cameras... i guess it boils down to if i want to spend an extra $30 on a remote. don't think so.

thanks scorpion!

The video is going to be same.

Just be advised that the 30 IPS is to be divided among all of the cameras.

You will be getting 7.5 IPS per channel at frame.

btw, i'm assuming that if i'm only using 2 cameras, i can get 15 ips... hope i'm not wrong here.

The answer is yes, but then again it depends on the selections in the menu of the machine. Such as disabling camera 3, and 4 in the record mode, ect.

761 and 781 is actually 2 very different machine.

The key differences is as follow.

1. At FRAME resolution, 761 records at MJPEG. Yes. MJPEG. It doesn't record at MPEG4. It only record MPEG4 at CIF format although it is touted as a MPEG4 DVR. 781 records MPEG4 at both CIF and FRAME.

As such, the recording period using the same size hdd on both machine at FRAME differ a lot. But what to do, 761 is much cheaper than 781. Peanus=Monkey.

2. Group/Fix.

There's a Group/Fix option at the bottom of the record submenu. 761 only records at FIX. 781 allows both option, FIX/Group. Basically fix's the IPS/no. of camera. Group allows the DVR to allocate IPS according to level of activities detected according to the cameras.