Sign in to follow this  
Scruit

Can I run 24vac wires alongside video?

I have purchased a proper camera housing with heater/blower for my license plate camera. The camera itself is 12vdc, and the housing requires 24vac. Would there be any interferance problem with me running the 24vac wire in parallel with the RG59 in the same conduit over a distance of about 50'?

Also, for some time now I have planned to grandfather the RG59 wires and do all new or replacement wires in Cat5e. Can I use one wire pair for video, one for 24vac and two wire pairs for 12vdc (need the current for camera plus 12vdc IR emitter) in the same cat5e or will I get interferance? And could I get good video down a 50' wire with passive baluns?

Rather than simply install a housing in the existing location (chosen for protection from rain, no longer a requirement) I am moving the whole thing to a location that will allow the car/license plate to remain in shot for a greater amount of time.

I have purchased a proper camera housing with heater/blower for my license plate camera. The camera itself is 12vdc, and the housing requires 24vac. Would there be any interferance problem with me running the 24vac wire in parallel with the RG59 in the same conduit over a distance of about 50'?

Also, for some time now I have planned to grandfather the RG59 wires and do all new or replacement wires in Cat5e. Can I use one wire pair for video, one for 24vac and two wire pairs for 12vdc (need the current for camera plus 12vdc IR emitter) in the same cat5e or will I get interferance? And could I get good video down a 50' wire with passive baluns?

Rather than simply install a housing in the existing location (chosen for protection from rain, no longer a requirement) I am moving the whole thing to a location that will allow the car/license plate to remain in shot for a greater amount of time.

Yes for both of your questions...

Yes for both of your questions...

Both? There were 3 questions.

I'll be more clear in my questions...

1) If I run 24vac alongside RG59 then will I get interferance?

2) Using Cat5e: If I use I use one wire pair for video, one for 24vac and two wire pairs for 12vdc (need the current for camera plus 12vdc IR emitter) in the same cat5e then will I get good video?

3) Would I get good video down a 50' wire with passive baluns?

I know, I need to just ask questions rather tham ramble...

1) If I run 24vac alongside RG59 then will I get interferance? No

2) Using Cat5e: If I use I use one wire pair for video, one for 24vac and two wire pairs for 12vdc (need the current for camera plus 12vdc IR emitter) in the same cat5e then will I get good video? yes, but cant hurt to take the roll and test before u pull it and find out the video isnt good

3) Would I get good video down a 50' wire with passive baluns? yes if you use good baluns - nvt, nitek, etc

2) Using Cat5e: If I use I use one wire pair for video, one for 24vac and two wire pairs for 12vdc (need the current for camera plus 12vdc IR emitter) in the same cat5e then will I get good video? yes, but cant hurt to take the roll and test before u pull it and find out the video isnt good

3) Would I get good video down a 50' wire with passive baluns? yes if you use good baluns - nvt, nitek, etc

Thanks!

I'm going to take a look at my new mount position and see if it makes more sense to just 'redirect' the last 20' of wire, or pull a whole new wire. I'll likely go with cat5 if I need a new wire.

Good answers bud... Only other area that I will expand is usage of the video baluns - you can push 1,000'+ with certain passive video baluns (there is a model of passive balun that we push max 1,500' without any loss of video), if your project calls for...