kmb997

Checking Camera Positions

How does everyone check camera video and placement around a house? I've read where some people bring 13" monitors and some bring 3" lcd's, but how does everyone power their cameras?

At home i use a small camping table and a 51'' tv monitor [for focusing] then i put the video into a 2.4ghz transmitter [parallel with the DVR] and use a 2'' portable receiver [aiming] -great !

I am not in the security business, this is for my residential setup. The reason I ask is because I want to try different locations to see if the view is what I want. I understand I can connect the camera to a monitor, but how do I get power to the camera easily, like with an extension cord or something like that?

If installing 12 volt cameras I usually use a 12 v gel battery with a fuse & pigtail and a 13" monitor or a 12 v 7" car monitor. The gel battery also supplies power to the car monitor.

Could get a 24VAC Transformer, the extension cord, and a power strip (surge protector or just a basic strip). Thats what I use right now along with the 9" monitor.

At my store I generally just put the ladder where I think I want the camera, then climb and look around, move to another spot and repeat. Prior to doing this I have played with the camera in my office and seen the approximate view range the lense will give me. Then pretty much guestimate once I get to the floor with the ladder.

Once at the spot, if by myself, I sometimes use a 13" tv at the bottom of the ladder. But usually I've done the focusing in the office, so all I need to do is keep moving the camera, running back to the office, look at the monitor, return to camera and move again.

When I have help that knows how to tell if the view is good/what I want, and how to relay focusing instructions... then 2 way radios are the bomb.