mikesus

Woohoo the cameras are here!

My WV-CP484's came in. The one was exactly as described in the auction and did not appear to be used at all. The other one looked a bit rough. No matter what I tried I could not get it to focus. Then I realized someone had jammed an adaptor on the front and there was no way the lens would be able to focus. Unfortunately they cross threaded it, hence the bargain price. But with a bit of patience, I was able to get it it off and then get the lens back on.

Even in color mode at night this camera is amazing! When it switches to B/W you would swear that there is a flood light on somewhere!

( The pics below are in color only, took a bit to figure out the menu system so none are in the higher sensitivity b/w mode, and I couldn't leave the camera up without a housing)

I am glad I was able to snag these off auction and for the price it was an awesome deal! Now to get me some enclosures!

2008_02_01_22_53_09.jpg.26f5ea0f2cc02b3cac4de5c9b38515d8.jpg

2008_02_01_21_26_15.jpg.d62e0ff7f939aa6b4f8630d92a4e8b1d.jpg

2008_02_01_21_25_44.jpg.6e4b70a166bf8dcadc510828aac36448.jpg

Nice pictures, good luck with them. Panasonic has very good cameras just if you going to buy at auction be careful with dead pixels...

Nice pictures, good luck with them. Panasonic has very good cameras just if you going to buy at auction be careful with dead pixels...

Checked both and they seem to be ok. The camera itself will handle 16 pixels that you can turn off if they are stuck, but with them connected to my 50' Sony rear projection, I found none.

This guy was offering a 30 day return on these, so if they were bad, send em back. But they weren't!

A pair of these for under $500 with lenses was a decent deal I think.

cant you get in trouble? those cameras are also viewing someone else's yard...isnt that invasion of privacy?

That depends on the local laws, and whether or not the neighbor cares.

cant you get in trouble? those cameras are also viewing someone else's yard...isnt that invasion of privacy?

Depends on your country and local laws. In some countries you cannot film public areas, in some you cannot film private property belonging to another. Some countries give property owners the right to complain about a neighbor's camera looking at their property.

In my cameras you can see my neighbor's proerties, but they are so far away that you cannot make out any detail. Ie you can tell a car is arriving or leaving but can't tell what kind of car it is.

My approach was to talk to my neighbors, show them stills from the cameras and what portions of their property was covered, and basically asked for permission. Nothing in writing or anything, but they know what my cameras can see and cannot see and they are comfortable with it.

Another alternative it to aim the cameras so that your neighbor's property cannot be seen. If this results in too much wasted image at the bottom of the shot then you could always get a tigher zoom lens and get more detail in the useful area of the shot.

I have seen footage of one guy in england shooting his neighbor's CCTV camera with an air rifle because he didn't like the fact that it covered both properties in equal detail. As I recall the camera was installed with the specific intention of gathering evidence of the neighbor's un-neighborly conduct within his own property, so I understand his objection to the camera (although his methods were not very subtle)

In most of the US if you can see it from a public street they have no expectation of privacy. Now mounting a PTZ on a high pole/tower isn't the same thing. Basically if you could stand there and see it without trespassing you don't have to worry so much.