rash

Sound Problem - Swann DVR 4 Pro Net

I have setup a Swann Dvr unit with that I have attached two camera's. One of the camera is built with a microphone. What I need help with is, that I have connected the camera upto the DVR and everything works fine, but when you want to listen to the audio, i can listen to it when i connect the audio out cable (Yellow cable provided) to the TV i can then hear sound. My main query is that when i view the CCTV online why can i not hear the sound recordings. The current setup records both video and audio to the hard drive in the DVR unit and by thinking this through logically I am only trying to view past recordings with sound through the internet, but i am unable to do so. Please could you provide assistance to this matter and also do i need to install some codecs or another piece of software on my computer to be able to view and listen to the recordings.

Can you PM me a link? I can take a look at your settings and confirm that it is indeed setup to record audio.

Swann is junk, but maybe we can get it working so you don't have to throw it in the trash where it belongs. lol

I have setup a Swann Dvr unit with that I have attached two camera's. One of the camera is built with a microphone. What I need help with is, that I have connected the camera upto the DVR and everything works fine, but when you want to listen to the audio, i can listen to it when i connect the audio out cable (Yellow cable provided) to the TV i can then hear sound. My main query is that when i view the CCTV online why can i not hear the sound recordings. The current setup records both video and audio to the hard drive in the DVR unit and by thinking this through logically I am only trying to view past recordings with sound through the internet, but i am unable to do so. Please could you provide assistance to this matter and also do i need to install some codecs or another piece of software on my computer to be able to view and listen to the recordings.

yellow cable ???? yellow is video white or red is a audio. did you make the leads or did they come with system ???

If you can hear audio on your audio output then you are good to go.

Over the internet requires that the audio icon be in the right setting. It has a blue, and a yellow setting. Put the icon in to playback mode, and you can hear recorded audio. Put the icon it to live mode, and you can hear live audio.

The remote setup does not allow you to manipulate the settings for the audio. You are better off leaving it in the live mode, and listening to playback audio throught the front panel.

The setting may default if the DVR loses power, and you may have to reset it through the panel for remote listening.

Edited by Guest

Swann is junk, but maybe we can get it working so you don't have to throw it in the trash where it belongs. lol

This DVR is not junk. It is a solid performer. I have 2004 models that are still kicking. (AVC 773, AVC 774)

The make it, or break it will depend on you having a battery back up. It is the line filtration that is important. The power line will put nails in the DVR coffin. Condition the power and it should run forever!

You actually have the more desirable model. (AVC 760 old, or newer AVC760AS) I believe yours has the IDE hard drive. In otherwords you have an older model that uses JPEG. In other words you can email images!!! This feature was lost when they went full MPEG, and we can no longer email images with MPEG.

Excluding the hard drive you can hold this DVR over your head, and throw it on the ground hard! Excluding broken plastic from the front menu it will probably work when you reinstall the hard drive! I do not recommend that you do this, but that is how tough this little bastard is!!

I do not know if they gave you Video Server E (IDE version), but you can also use Video Viewer (newer model version or SATA hard drive version) for remote view.

As a side note you can take the Wireless Swann cameras and toss them on the floor and they will keep working.

I do not know much about the wired Swann cameras.

Most of the Swann products are manufactured by others and OEM under the Swann name. Swann has decent tech support, and they stand behind their products. I am sure there are "horror" storys about Swann somewhere, but they should be very rare.

[quote="tomcctv

yellow cable ???? yellow is video white or red is a audio. did you make the leads or did they come with system ???

It is common for installer to buy single yellow 6 foot cables. We can get them by the case for .99 each! They would use two cables. One for monitor, and one for audio. Three way cable with yellow, red, and white are more expensive, and most times we are just plugging in video and the red, and white would hang wasted, and unused.

Perhaps this is the case?

This DVR is not junk. It is a solid performer. I have 2004 models that are still kicking. (AVC 773, AVC 774)

The make it, or break it will depend on you having a battery back up. It is the line filtration that is important. The power line will put nails in the DVR coffin. Condition the power and it should run forever!

I've been in and around this industry in one way shape or form as an installer and service technician for about the past 8 years. Only in the past year or 2 have I taken an interest in breaking free from the (secular) ladder climbing and wanted to do this professionally on my own. Totally different ball game when corporate buyers and big name manufacturer reps aren't picking out the crap that us technicians have to make work... A different story when it's up to me to pick the best equipment at the lowest possible price to be competitive...

That's why in the earliest stages of my decision to change career paths I went down to my local big box retailer and purchased every single CCTV item they had on the shelves. I'm talking Swann, SecurityMan, Lorex, Clover, Q-See, Elyssa... all that crap. Wired cameras, wireless cameras, DVRs, LCDs, PTZs, everything. I bought literally everything they had on the shelf related to CCTV. Not all at once though. I bought about 5-6 items at a time and tested them for 28 days. On the 29th day, I returned the crap I didn't like. Just before their 30 day return policy expired.

Over the course of about 6 months I tested literally everything they had on the shelves related to CCTV. Unethical? Maybe to some. But I kept the stuff I did like. About $600 worth. Some of it still in use today around family's houses or my own. So they made their profit. Man oh man if I had only knew the distributors I do today... The stuff I get today is only a fraction of the price and yet those cameras I paid $100-$200 for at the big box store are a fraction of the quality.

But I learned a lot. Found out what sucks and what doesn't. Found which brands sucked more than others. But most of all, I figured out why I could look up at the ceiling of that same big box retailer and not see any of those cheap cameras in use by their loss prevention department. I realized most of that crap had been marked up 4-5 times by 4-5 different companies before it got on the shelf and it often wasn't worth the marketing material that advertised it. I realized what my biggest competition was and still is for (residential) end users.

While I can't speak for their reliability as you can Scorpion, I can speak for their functionality and quality. Swann was on of the top 2 poorest performers of the 6 household cheap CCTV brands I tested. Granted this was 2 years ago, maybe things have changed. But then their lineup of wired cameras was horrendous. Wireless cameras were an absolute joke. DVRs were clunky at best.

I honestly can't remember the models of each, but I know I must NOT have gotten the same units that you guys are talking about. I've come to value (most) of your opinions and really respect your years in the business and all the insight and creativeness you bring to the forum, Scorpion. I'm quite sure your NOT talking up the same trash I put my hands on a couple years back... lol

I would have to agree with you 100%!

Swann uses several different DVR models, but the one that looks like my avatar is the only one that I would buy from swann.

I agree with you about the wireless cameras. They are only 100milli watt transmitters, which is about a childs walkie talkie, and my customers are trying to DX from greater distances then what they are designed for. Trying to tell customers what line of sight means, and the fact that they do not want to buy antennas, and cables, and masts makes it even worse.

I give you props for going out and buying all of the stuff off the shelves. I bet you can just pick up a product from today, and know what makes it tick in 5 seconds, or less!

That is experience that you cannot buy! Now you can see why there are so many Do it yourselfers on this forum looking for help!

Take care,

I would have to agree with you 100%!

Swann uses several different DVR models, but the one that looks like my avatar is the only one that I would buy from swann.

Now you can see why there are so many Do it yourselfers on this forum looking for help!

quote]

----------------------------------------------

After so many good words by both of you

simple ?

Why do we help ?

I am sorry that you have reached a stage that you feel that your input is not valued.

What brought you here to the forum? What compelled you to help others? When was the enlightenment where you felt that your contributions were not helpful?

I understand how you feel when you provide guidance to someone, and they continue down a path of their own choosing.

Those who choose to help will continue do so.

There are those who remember the "early years", and they want to "give back". There are those who want to help because they remember their own frustrations, or they want to "tip a hat" to the one that guided them through a mine field, and they want to pass on the "appreciation".

Some do it because they are at a learning stage, and nothing makes the info stick better then repetition. Helping others makes the technology become known like the back of your hand.

There are some who do not know about CCTV, but they see a post with the exact problem they were having, and they feel compelled to jump in.

There are those who come to the forum as a means to increase their business, and soon find out that participating does not increase the bottom line, and soon get frustrated when a poster does not take the advice, or follow instructions down to the letter. They feel as if they are wasting their own time because they are not getting a return on the investment of time spent of the forum.

There are some who have been here a long time, and see the same issue over, and over, and over, and it just beats you down, and you get frustrated, and you just want to "give up"!

There are those who have not been around in a while, and then they come back to the forum helping posters, and then fade in to the background again till another time.

There are those who help that we would describe as "hot shots". They just want to "be the man"! They want to feel important, or they want to be the center of attention. Once in a while one will come along that is so conceited that we all get a good laugh!