redalert

Question for the pros about power splitter for vcm-24vf

Hi Everyone,

Excuse the dumb questions but I am fairly new to CCTV installs. From what I've read on here the vcm-24vfs are good cameras. Soon I'm going to be installing a total of 6 vcm-24vf dome cameras. I was wondering if using a power splitter such as the one pictured will suffice or a power supply box is the way to go and why. Also if the octopus is ok does it matter if I use a 12 or 24 volt ac adapter? Thanks.

202109_1.jpg

they're actually dual-voltage cameras, so you can use 12vdc *or* 24vac or just about anything else in between. they're also very low power consumption, about 2.2w, which is barely 100ma at 24v or under 200ma at 12v, so as long as your power adapter has sufficient current for all of them, you should be fine.

And since they come with their own power connector, there is no real reason to use that sort of splitter unless you got pre-terminated cables.

And since they come with their own power connector, there is no real reason to use that sort of splitter unless you got pre-terminated cables.

How do you mean? I have to provide power to them somehow I'm talking about near the dvr. I was planning on using Siamese cable and addding the correct pigtail (male/female) on each end of the power portion of the siamese then using the octopus to plug into an outlet somewhere near the dvr.

The camera end has screw terminals for power. Just splice a pigtail onto tbe dvr end of the siamese.

Good to know. Thanks. I wasn't aware there were terminals at the camera end. Now these cameras are going to be installed outdoors and most of them will be installed on vinyl siding with the wires being hidden under the siding. Would I be better off using baluns and cat5e or would you go with the siamese? I'm mainly worried that I won't be able to fit the baluns under the siding presuming I won't be able to fit the baluns into the camera housing itself. This is why i'm choosing the siamese. Any thoughts would be appereciated.

The camera end has screw terminals for power. Just splice a pigtail onto tbe dvr end of the siamese.

Good to know. Thanks. I wasn't aware there were terminals at the camera end. Now these cameras are going to be installed outdoors and most of them will be installed on vinyl siding with the wires being hidden under the siding. Would I be better off using baluns and cat5e or would you go with the siamese? I'm mainly worried that I won't be able to fit the baluns under the siding presuming I won't be able to fit the baluns into the camera housing itself. This is why i'm choosing the siamese. Any thoughts would be appereciated.

The best part for Cat5 is the flexibility down the line for IP not to mention it is easier, overall, to work with.

This is the power connection on the CNB

DSC_0130-1.jpg

These GEM baluns will fit nicely in the back box of the VCM

blnmtl2-1.jpg

Would these fit in the vcm-24vf as well?

202222_1.jpg

Seems like they're easier to work with. Also does this camera output a standard bnc pigtail for video installed or do I have to install one myself?

Well, I don't want to say for sure but I'll bet Groucho can weigh in on the issue. You know you'll have to either place a male lead onto the CNB power or cut and strip the power lead from the balun right?

Hi. your spending alot on cameras i would also spend a little on a power supply

the problem with using a multi pig tail is if you have a problem with 1 camera or with your power supply it will take your system out.

202109_1.jpg

go for power unit for each camera or buy a multi box supply.

191460_1.jpg

Well, I don't want to say for sure but I'll bet Groucho can weigh in on the issue. You know you'll have to either place a male lead onto the CNB power or cut and strip the power lead from the balun right?

I've seen a picture online seen below showing cnb vcm-24vf with an included rca female pigtail. I'll just get a rca male to bnc female fitting then I'll just plug that into the balun and call it a day.

202230_1.jpg

202230_2.jpg

I've seen a picture online seen below showing cnb vcm-24vf with an included rca female pigtail.

hi. the lead your looking at is a local test setup lead. nothing todo with connecting to your dvr.......... the camera comes with BNC plug in. (which you cant see in picture)

I've seen a picture online seen below showing cnb vcm-24vf with an included rca female pigtail.

hi. the lead your looking at is a local test setup lead. nothing todo with connecting to your dvr.......... the camera comes with BNC plug in. (which you cant see in picture)

Thanks for clarifying.

Hi. your spending alot on cameras i would also spend a little on a power supply

the problem with using a multi pig tail is if you have a problem with 1 camera or with your power supply it will take your system out.

202109_1.jpg

go for power unit for each camera or buy a multi box supply.

191460_1.jpg

I agree. I think this fits the bill.

202246_1.jpg

I'll eat the extra couple of bucs since I won't have to splice. Just plug and play.

Now in the documentation for the camera it states that if using 12V power, you should not use UTP. Is there any reason for this? I've already ordered a 12V ac adapter and was wondering.

Now in the documentation for the camera it states that if using 12V power, you should not use UTP. Is there any reason for this? I've already ordered a 12V ac adapter and was wondering.

Nope! I have 12VDC running over 18/2 for a few years not and no problems with the CNBs

cnb includes the same generic manual with almost all their cameras... i would guess it's a generic warning to avoid problems with voltage drop over long runs, or ground loops with non-regulated cameras. there's no problem running 12vdc over cat5e with these cameras - i have two of them running 200' over a single cat5e with no issues. they're very low current draw and so very little voltage loss.