C7Installer

Geovision cards and video (graphics) cards... Which one?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the benefits are to using a "more capable" video card in a Geovision system. I have a GV800-4 installed with a Radeon 7500 series PCI card (not AGP or PCI-E). The system seems to work well, no crashing, less than 40% CPU utilization, plays/records/views video without trouble.

Since this is an "older" video card, I assumed there might be some problems before I installed it. Now that it seems to be working, I wondering if there are any benefits to getting a better card? Will it look any better, go any faster or play any smoother?

If there is a preferred card to use with Geovision systems, can anyone tell me what that might be?

Thanks!

==

Just in case it makes any difference, here are the specs for the system:

Motherboard: Super P4SCE, (onboard video disabled)

Processor: Intel Pentium4 2.4GHz

RAM: 512MB

Storage: CD-R/RW drive, 250GB PATA Drive (2 partitions, Maxstor/7200RPM)

Video Card: ATI Radeon 7500 series

Operating system: Windows XP Pro - SP2 + all updates

Geo Card: Geovision 800 - 4 channel

We've always used cheaper video cards. I usually look for two things,

1= fan on video card

2= supports directdraw overlay for fullscreen viewing (which most of them do)

Never been too fussed about them, customer hardly notices the difference anyway.

I had a Radeon 7500 64Mb PCI graphics card which I "upgraded" to an Nvidia Fx5700 128 Mb AGP card for my Geo system. I wish I hadn't bothered. If anything the Radeon did the job better.

Doesnt make a whole lot of difference on slower cards, but the faster the video card the faster the refresh rate generally, but what also makes a difference is the features of the cards. That said I normally just use the Saphire Radeon 128MB card for most cards, or the 256MB for the real time 8 and 16 channel cards. You cant go wrong with a Radeon card though.

CCTVINSTALLER is correct, that is all you need to look for, but FAN is a massive thing and that is why you should pay for a better card or simply stick to the cheaper one and replace the fans like I do.

Radeons handle TV Out better than any other card but the HW Overlay can affect the GVDSP so if using a DSP card go for NVIDIA

If C7Installer got away with running a Radeon 7500 I wouldn't worry too much because that is an old card. I have one.

I just bought a X600 ATI 256MB PCI-E, which is probably way overkill. It's not like your playing intensive state of the art video games on your computer.

If you know a Radeon 7500 works, you can pick those up cheap these days.

I wish I would have known that before I bought this expensive video card that I didn't need.

Jasper,

You may have made the btter choice depending on the GV series board you are using. The 7500 model the other guy uses does not support Direct X 9.0, which makes an ennormous difference when using the DSP or combo boards. If you use any ATI chipset under a 9600 with the combo boards, you will have excessive horizontal line shifts (Interlacing). The board you just bought is a very good board and you will notice a difference in video quality when dealing with 720x480 De-Interlacing.

Scottj

Thats good to know, so I didn't waste money after all. I just bought the new GV-1240 Combo Card. This Video card should be fast on a PCI-E 16x speed bus.

I am curious, I know I gained audio on this board, but this real time display, how do the other non-combo cards compare to this card. This is my the fist GeoVison card I have purchased.

The display is the primary difference. The purpose of this board was to create a lower cost combination of the DSP and a standard GV series combination. I thnk you will be pleased overall, and good choice on the VGA card. We tested at least a dozen different VGA cards and found that one to be in the top, especially price related.

Scottj

Thanks for all of your input on this! I think everything is working as it should right now, so I'm going to stay with what I have on this system.

Next time, I will search for a low cost card that has a fan, supports DirectX 9, supporting DirectDraw overlay.

-C7

I like the price. They sure have come down in price over the last few years. You don't ever have to worry about a fan going out and frying your card with that heat sink.

Nice card for the money. And Rory tested and approved.

We just changed hardware from a Radeon 9250 128MB (AGP) to a Radeon X300 SE 256MB (PCI-Express)

Also, we changed to genuine Intel MOBO from a MSI865PE and CPU from a 2.4GHz P4 to a 2.6GHz.

We put both systems old and upgraded right next to each other and the difference is clear. More sharp and clear video and system responds and performs a lot faster.