rory

Asus Boards and Latest onboard Audio Issues

Last week and this week I built 2 PCs, one for a home user and the other for a DVR. Both had Audio driver problems using the SoundMax audio chips. This is relevant to Windows XP SP2.

Basically the first was the P5L-MX and I was finally able to get it working properly using an older 2006 driver. The problem this one had was MP3s would skip and Video files would not resume audio when you scrolled forward. Some video files would also "jump" forward. Reloading OS, Different OS versions, Different HDDs, Different Bios flashes, and basically everything else known to mankind, did not fix the problem. Disabling hardware acceleration did fix the issue, but I was not happy leaving it like that.

In the end as I mentioned, the only fix was to use an older driver. I did not notice this problem on the same boards only as recent as a month ago, but perhaps they had updated the onboard chips now as they come with Vista drivers as well.

Next board is the P5B-Deluxe. It had none of the audio issues found in the P5L-MX, but I noticed it rather slow when clicking to browse in and out of folders. Now this has 2GB of DDR2-667, and a Core 2 Duo, ive built several with this configuration over the past several months, and they did not have this problem, granted they were using the P5L-MX motherboard, but speed wise the specs are great.

The problem was that it would hang slightly on and off, especially when clicking back. Once again, reformatted and reloaded the OS several times, different HDDs, different Bios Flashes, Changed Bios settings over and over, reset to defaults, every change known to mankind, and even older and newer Drivers, but none fixed the problem. I even loaded the AHCI Sata Drivers on the last occasion, and though overall the system was very slightly faster, it did not help with my main issue.

So, I disabled the NAVIGATION sound in the Sound Properties (accessible from the control panel) and that fixed it. Since this is a DVR anyway, I just turned off all sounds in the end.

I reported both of these issues to Asus and also posted on their online forum. Hopefully they will fix this for new boards, though I doubt it. Otherwise the boards are great, just need to work around the sound problems.

Rory

Hello Rory, I had similar issues with DVR builds using some P4P8T boards from Asus found that if you shut down the soundMax agent service or change to manual from auto start up the problem was resolved for me using these boards. Dont know if it will work with the other boards. Dont hold your breath waiting for Asus I like their products but the tech support is poor.

Rory,

I'm running the P5deluxe and a 6600.no problems with audio. No problems at all...........smokes and handles all I toss at it. Running Video Insight, 21 cams @ 640x480 with a 4 camera IP server along side it. runs at 30% or lower....no overclocking.

VST, goto explorer, start to click through folders, back and forth. Watch as it will "hang" here and there, or lag. Now goto Sounds and turn of the Navigation Sound. It will be 100% faster, like it is supposed to be.

Its a known problem with this Sound Max version right now on all boards, Asus or not, running XP. Some people may not notice it though, but I tweak XP to the max so I notice every little thing.

Also the P5B-Deluxe has had terrible reviews from day one, ofcourse I didnt go looking for them until after i bought it and encountered all these issues. Many of those that are using seperate sounds cards will never notice the problem ofcourse, but to me that is just a bandaid and the board still is not worth it.

As to the P5L-MX, thats a whole other story, but its a different Sound Max version.

@Lolo, no nothing will fix it besides disabling the Navigation Sound, Disabling All Windows Sounds, or Disabling the onboard audio all together.

Ive decided to dump Asus for right now due to these problems, and go with the GigaByte as they don't use Sound Max. When and if Sound Max [and Asus] ever get their problems soughted out, then I may look at Asus again. Its just too much money to have problems like this, and on multiple boards, and Im certainly not alone so its a manufacturer wide problem.

Only thing is, for me, I don't care if it hangs at that spot since the Server sits there and records video and provides a WEB service.

kinda reminds me of something our Mothers told us a long time ago.

"if it hurts when you do that, don't do that"

I get it now!!

There are two cars on the market for sell.

I buy one, and the gears grind when I shift.

Answer: Don't shift!!

Maybe I should buy the other car instead?

Is that along the line "if it ain't broke don't fix it and if ya don't use it, it ain't broke" Seems to me I would be looking for a new mobo.

Might try turning the indexing service back on.

EDIT: Nevermind I don't use windows sounds and have never really noticed this behavior. Possibly because I don't use sounds I dunno.

Might try turning the indexing service back on.

Will give that a try, but I always turn the Indexing service off and never have any problem, so dont think that would be effected by a specific audio chip/driver, never know though.

hee heee heeeeeeee

listen, in all my "years" of hands on of new and improved things I've never seen the perfect anything. they all have some issue, large or small, that takes good ole fashioned inguinity to make better or overcome.

we learn thru trial and error and in most cases the original product is never the same on the second build. Get used to it as this process of supply and demand will never change. As long as we demand it, the product will always be sold before it's time........

anywho, thanks for the replies concerning my comment. I guess all my years of being a Marine have caused me to be prepared to overcome with a rubberband and paper clip. always need one and always have one.

Semper Gumby ya'all