jokerone

"Ghost orbs" what are they really?

Oh, first I don’t believe in ghosts etc. And I’ve had very intelligent people I’ve known jump to the most silly conclusions about what shows up in their camera. Those “Ghost orbs” are mosquitos and show up when using a flash.

So I’m embarrassed to be using that term, but I don’t know what to call what I’m seeing at night when the IR is on. If this were August, I wouldn’t give it a second thought and assume they were moths or something, but I’m seeing little round balls that float in front of the camera then zoom away.

I’m assuming its some sort of dust or something else getting blown past the camera, but they do show up indoors and outdoors. (mostly outdoors).

Any suggestions ?

Edited by Guest

Webs, flying insects... or most likely, dust motes. All of these things will very nicely reflect the IR in front of the camera.

Webs, flying insects... or most likely, dust motes. All of these things will very nicely reflect the IR in front of the camera.

dust motes? Never heard of that but it sounds reasonable.

Again, if this were summer I wouldn't even bother posting this question but in December at 28 degrees, all the bugs are grounded.

You know when a sunbeam comes in the window, all that stuff floating in the light?

Outdoors, it could also be pollen or other type of airborne allergens.

You know when a sunbeam comes in the window, all that stuff floating in the light?

thanks.

Saw an orb on the warehouse camera a while back. After investigating, it was a cob web that probably had a dust particle on it. Couldn't see the web, did see the particle. Debunked, as they say. My home cams I never get orbs, but I see webs clear as day- the annoying one strand floaters. Can't wait till it's cold enough for the spiders to die for a while- in fact all insects!

Saw an orb on the warehouse camera a while back. After investigating, it was a cob web that probably had a dust particle on it. Couldn't see the web, did see the particle. Debunked, as they say. My home cams I never get orbs, but I see webs clear as day- the annoying one strand floaters. Can't wait till it's cold enough for the spiders to die for a while- in fact all insects!

I wouldn't have thought something that small would show up. must be very close to the camera.

OR it could be the aliens checking out your defenses before they attack your home.

Well, if the best I can do after I die is float around in front of somebody’s CCTV camera, the afterlife is going to be very boring..

Everytime I see one, I keep thinking about the last scene in Woody Allen’s “Mid-Summer Nights Sex comedy”..

Vampires. Go to chinese restaraunt, get garlic sauce and rub on camera.

I guess driving a wooden stake into the camera would void the warranty?

Yes, I would agree with that. Pieces of tree leaves can also reflect the IR.

I have a spider building a web in front of my driveway cam. I thought it was too cold for that in December in Illinois.

"Shockwaves" was bang on there. I puzzled over these orbs for weeks until I finally saw what was supporting the floating orbs, it was a single strand of spider silk with a few dust or moisture specks fixed to it, slowly swinging in front of the camera lens, the strand was totally invisible until a small change in the lighting made it appear. Sorry to disappoint the extra-terrestial fans or ghost hunters here, but as always, there's a rational explanation for these things. (well, NEARLY always)