rdawg

CAN i Make my computer into a DVR??

You will want the PC to be dedicated to being the DVR. And I am not just saying that because it's my excuse to build a brand new computer. Being a DVR taxes a system, so running other programs will cause problems at some point. Yes, you can have other programs on it, but don't expect the DVR PC to be your main internet, email, powerpoint, photo sharing PC.

As far as cards go, I perfer Geovision, as do many others on the site. Another good brand favored is Avermedia. I have never used them, so I couldn't tell you much about them. These two brands are excellent, but do have a higher cost. You get what you pay for. Hikivision is also widely available, but I have not used their systems either.

You can also buy on ebay. If you do, I urge caution. That great deal on a Geovision card for $50... probably is an illegal clone, won't work, and we simply can not help you with that problem. As said above, you get what you pay for. If in doubt, get our feedback before you bid, buy, trade, etc.

I suggest buying from a reseller on this site, or someone they recommend, simply because they know the product is actual, and not a fake.

Also, we have members here who represent the various manufacturers, and are very helpful with troubleshooting. We have Alnet, Geovision, and Hikivision that I recall off the top of my head.

Lol read thits:!!!

[edit by mod - store link removed]

lololol is that real lolololol

Made me think twice well 3 times but not more than that,

Funny I noticed that the card is exactly like the Tibet I said earlier in this post (both from taiwan????), photocopies or clones with conexant chip.

The box looks different doe

WOW!

After reading all of these posts I think my head is going to blow!

I do have to say that analog or IP that each has it own place in an installation.

I am more of a low budget, and/or a residential installer, therefore I will not qualify myself as a professional installer, although I take my "profession" seriously.

I am amazed at how many different events that I have been involved with.

I have installed CCTV system in many mom n pop businesses, and some very small Professional companies.

I have been treated as if the server room was a dark secret, and only known how it operates by a few selected individuals of the company.

Once I get a key to the room all I do is plug in an RJ 45 connector shake the IT managers hand and leave. He is still standing there in confusion has he probably had some dumb speech that has been well rehearsed about what an IT god he is, and what a gift to the company he is, and how lucky that he stays with the company, and how he is only there as a favor to some relative, or friend that works there, and the company should be greatful.

I check in with the president of the company to make sure he can see the video, and then I am off. The President of the company surely had to go back to the IT guy, and ask for an explanation. I thought you said this was not going to work? I thought you said this was going to take a long time to make this thing work? I thought you said this was going to be hard?

Days in advance to the installation I had to beg for the IT manager to punch me a hole in his sonic firewall. I think he had more fun with the power then the actual job of managing IT.

I do not know why I had to go back to my office, and send off emails till I got a password to the system. A one day job became an overblown pain in my neck, but three feet lower.

On another installation they gave me the key to the server room, and I was surprised in how much trust they had in me going in there unsupervised!! I had the system wires ran from one building through an open entrance way, undergound, and into another building, and I ran wires to isolated corner "towers". It was a very fancy building, and pulling wires was a pain, and I was really lucky being able to find travel paths for all of my wires. I had the system working at the end of the day, and everything was setup on the sonic firewall as soon as the IT manager could put his fingers on a keyboard! Wired, setup, operational, and remotely operational in less than 10 hours!! I love jobs like this!!

I have been brought in to a large number of business that request that I solve some kind of problem of theirs. Some just invite me in to suck me dry for info, and then they resolve their own problems leaving without any income for my time. I do not allow this. They feel as if they do not have to pay for my time. They are not paying me for my time, but for my experience. I have seen many problems. It can range from ground loop issues, or the wrong kind of coax, or some kind of settings that need to be configured, or wireless cameras that are working outside of their design specifications, or any kind of equipment that is operating outside of it's design specifications.

There are some IT managers that I can spot in five seconds flat!! I know that if I make them look good in the process, and I know that I am going to get paid, then I also know that they will intoduce me to the "network" of other IT managers! I have talked to a senior member of the business ownership, and I have explained that the IT members did everything right, and the problem is........(make up a good story that keep the IT guys out of hot water). Your problem is wink wink a firmware problem. If you pay me $blank I will get you an updated version, and I will have installed by noon. Now I go back to the IT guy, and explain to him why he cannot do..... (use two wire conductor for video, use some wierd BNC crimp, or use a 2.5mm lens for facial recognition at a distance or what have you).

I now get calls from other companies that know that I can be descrete in resolving problems.

I look forward to the day when I can do everything from an IT perspective.

Yes IP is going to be the standard someday. Security whether physical, or IT, or CCTV is going to need plug, and play systems that can integrate with other systems.

It is nice that we have systems where you can swipe a card at the restaurant chain's headquarters, and your camera brings up your image to the security team, or it records it for review later, and then the access system opens the door, and you are clocked in, and the lights to the building come on to give you a lighted travel path to your office! The AC was turned on remotely by a computer one hour before your arrival, and the temp is comfortable. You can sit down at your desk and you can scan all ten of your restaurants various walkin, and reachin refridgerator temps before you find out that you have an issue, and that you may have to throw all of the food out that is loaded in to them because the compressor failed, or the fans quit blowing!!

Aw! technology at it's best!

I hope the prices keep coming down, and technology comes up with ways to do things we have never thought of!

I am surprised that the company Google has not paid the Star Trek franchise to reedit the actors words.

"Computer google me the Klingon Empire"!!

LOL!

Edited by Guest

This thread has reached its Smiles a Lot quota for da day. Tanks.

Not a bad image... for €50

Ok, I can do the same with €5, cheap webcam 640x480

PMA, I am really interested, can you take a same shot at night and posted us for a comparison, it's a very good sharing.

thanks, dove

webcam is not weatherproof, is USB, and software will suck.

network cams start around $200 for the most basic.

better than most axis Cameras

AmCap.jpg

Hi Rory,

is that possible to post us a same shot at night?

thanks, dove