fas

Platinum Power NP-4CC615DCUL and Voltage

I have a small 4 cam job and I will be using the Platinum power box named in the subject line. I have never used this box before. I am using Nuvico 12v bullet cams. This box has variable dc power from 5 to 15 volts. I do not have a voltage meter. Does anyone know what this box is set to at the factory? I need 12 volts. My voltage meter is horrible. I can't tell if it's 12 or 15 volts coming through. I don't want to burn up the cameras. Also, any suggestions on a cheap voltage meter that actually works? Thanks.

Isnt that a 24vac 40va (or 50va) input on that box.... 24vac 40va to 2.25amps >5.5 to 12vdc output... there should be a trim pot for adjustable DC output dependent on the VA of the 24 transformer you use. Fuses are rated at 1.0 amp (12VDC - 2.5 Amps total continuous output) Take note of the polarity on the DC side when you hook up.....here is a cheap tester....http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_12496_12496 or you could buy a cheap multi meter at Radioshack or big box home store.... but if you are gonna be doin this kind of work I would suggest that you invest in some quality testers-tools...

Yes, that's the one. There is a trim pot, but I never used one. I'm guessing you just turn it clockwise/counterclockwise and adjust the voltage. I will prob just get something at radioshack for now, but I was just wondering if that unit comes set at 12v from the factory.

Digital multimeters are cheap now, for the basic ones, or you could go upmarket and get a fluke digital multimeter if you want something really good, to last a long time..

Fas, often trim pots will step to the right (clockwise) approx- off center past 12 o'clock should be about 12v but best to check with your meter dont ever trust a factory setting or any "true" spec on trans outputs.... always check voltage no matter what PS supply you use.... takes no time at all and that way you can figure out your runs- wire lengths to cam spec and v drops good luck with your install....regards

Fluke as Kensplace suggested is a good instrument....if you don't have a lot of money, try to find a used 77 model (usa model) I dont think the chinese made ones are as stable but some guys I know swear by em.. (pretty sure the newer low end Fluke line are made in china) my old trusted wavetek meterman 34XR is still doin me good. Then there are times when I wanna use a analog meter instead of a DVM- lookin at the relative amplitude of some varying signal less work on my older eyes than flashing digital numbers..... quess when you grow up wth swingin needles you know your gettin old

pick up a voltage meter and checked it... 12.68 volts. Good enough?