CottyGee

DIY Home DVR Recommendation?

Oh yeah, and check out this info I got from the Intellicam website, I have never seen this offered by any other company:

Warranty Period

All of our DVR systems feature an industry leading 3 year protection period. Even our installed HDD units are covered under this 3 year peace of mind policy. Compare warranty policies before making your final decision. We don’t add or conceal the cost or up-sell this peace of mind. Both our DVR manufacturer and our HDD supplier are that confident. We install Seagate model SV35 HDD units in all of our DVR products. Engineered for the harsh “alwaysâ€

I sell mostly to businesses but do have a few residential customers, but really surveillance is surveillance.

I think you are waiting for me to post a comparison sheet. I am in the process of doing so, so please bear with me.

The XLA is a better unit and the RTA even better as far as recording resolutions. Also, the XLA and above offer the option of a built in DVD and more options to record audio.

As I have posted before in another thread, frame rates are driving factor in ID'ing people. Let's say you choose to record at 4 fps, too choppy and even if the person were to look at the camera and turning one's self quickly, you may not capture the face as well if you recorded at a higher frame rate. When you playback, and you have recored at a higher frame rate, you can literally go frame by frame in playback in an attempt to ID. Also, facial reconition is important but we have found the what usually gets them caught is their mannerism, the clothes they were, etc. We have even seen crooks wear very identifying clothing. Amazing!!!

You may want to consider the Speco dome camera we have on our site. About the same money but primarly indoor use. This cam offers IR. I like this cam.

I honestly believe that this combo will meet your needs. But agian, without actually surveying the site first hand, it becomes a shot in the dark ( please excuse the pun ).

Thanks

Mike

Well, I caught someone at 11 minutes after midnight last night, running up my driveway. It was the neighbor 17 yr. old, and he was using my driveway to avoid his Dad's CCTV cameras! LOL

Quality for IDing him wasn't great. But I had the kid's Mom take a look, and she instantly recognized him - in part due to his clothing and his gait while running (jogging).

Anyhow, I tweaked the settings a bit - I set the "bitrate" at 2 MB/sec, which I'm hoping might increase quality. The documentation on the G4 is pretty basic and does a downright lousy job of explaining the purpose of the various settings, so the "bitrate" could have to do with output to a backup device. I'm not sure.

Anyhow, while I wish the resolution were better, it's not bad, and it was good enough for Mom to ID her kid at the farthest reaches of my camera. Maybe with a 2nd camera, I can improve upon what I'm capturing...

So, thanks to all who helped in my (ongoing) endeavor at DIY CCTV.

Well, I caught someone at 11 minutes after midnight last night, running up my driveway. It was the neighbor 17 yr. old, and he was using my driveway to avoid his Dad's CCTV cameras! LOL

Quality for IDing him wasn't great. But I had the kid's Mom take a look, and she instantly recognized him - in part due to his clothing and his gait while running (jogging).

Anyhow, I tweaked the settings a bit - I set the "bitrate" at 2 MB/sec, which I'm hoping might increase quality. The documentation on the G4 is pretty basic and does a downright lousy job of explaining the purpose of the various settings, so the "bitrate" could have to do with output to a backup device. I'm not sure.

Anyhow, while I wish the resolution were better, it's not bad, and it was good enough for Mom to ID her kid at the farthest reaches of my camera. Maybe with a 2nd camera, I can improve upon what I'm capturing...

So, thanks to all who helped in my (ongoing) endeavor at DIY CCTV.

Hmmm, so do you think its the cameras quality at night or the DVR? I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on that DVR and 3 of the G4-400HPT cameras but now you got me worried. What do you think?

I think it's more camera positioning than anything else. To get the quality you'd need to ID someone from the "bird's eye view" of what happened, you'd need HDTV quality. And that ain't happenin' on this guy's budget!

Hope this helps. I think the quality is satisfactory - and I also think it's better than others at this price point. I'm talking about the playback quality, by the way.

Is it true with the intellicam system you cant watch the video in reverse or something like that? I read it in another post. I will try to find it again.

Posted by RonW

"I have looked at the intellicam and icrealtime units, and they look great. However, the ability to play the video in reverse is another must have feature, something that both of those units aren't capable of to my knowledge. "

Can someone verify if this is true? I would think that all dvr's should have this feature.

Posted by eric9547

Can someone verify if this is true? I would think that all dvr's should have this feature.

eric9547,

I picked up the G4-4RTA very very recently and I can say from my own personal experience with the G4-4RTA that it does not play the recorded video in reverse.

The documentation states "backwards", but that means the currently viewed video will be "replayed" from the beginning of the current video file. However, if you are slow on the "backwards" button and the next video sequence has already started playing, you cannot go back multiple files - you'll have to select the video you want to see again from the menu.

Keep in mind this is using the ir remote and the unit's button interface. I didn't get to the web interface, especially since it's not my intention to serve up remote viewing.

Currently I have sent in a support request at icrealtime to see if their dvr flex r30 units will play in reverse. From what I intially received for an answer the flex can step forwards or backwards frame by frame. I'm still waiting for a definitive yes/no answer about full motion playback in reverse via the ir control or the units push button interface.

Maybe a flex user can answer this, but I haven't received a confirmation response yet.

Hopefully that answers most of this question.

The ICRealtime and Intellicam were on my short list of dedicated systems but knowing that they cant play reverse will put them out of contention.

At this day in age it should be a standard, heck even my cable box dvr can play video backwards.

The ICRealtime and Intellicam were on my short list of dedicated systems but knowing that they cant play reverse will put them out of contention.

At this day in age it should be a standard, heck even my cable box dvr can play video backwards.

I couldn't agree with you more! I finally heard back from icrealtime and it's definitive about the reverse play, it's not supported from the remote or the unit. If I read the tech support reply correctly, the remote connection software will allow you to use a "slider" to move forwards/backwards during playback.

Thanks guys, I thought that was standard on dvrs, playback forward and reverse, I know ours do, the only thing I usually check carefully on most dvrs we test is that they will accurately step both forward and back. If it is set for 7ips then it should be seven steps per second and I have seen a few that cannot do that very well.Learned something new today

I wanted to comment on the Intellicam unit as it can not "play" in reverse as has already been established. Additionally, the idea of using the "slide " bar over the Internet will be a challange. The Intellicam unit can do the same thing via the Web interface and the Client Software BUT somewhat difficult due to the nature of the Internet. Even on the same network, you will not get fluid playback by using the slide bar. I have tried it.

What I have done in the past is actually download the portion of video in question to my or my customer's PC and reviewed using the included viewer. This viewer WILL allow step back and step forward reply frame by frame and by using the slide bar you can very quickly scan the file for anything obvious. I have used this method on customer's DVR's who record 24/7. They call and ask me to review a portion of video for whatever. I download and play in the viewer using the slide bar back and forth looking for the whatever. Also, the viewer can convert H.264 to .avi. Yes, the drawback is having to have the viewer software where ever you are to do this ( playback frame by frame ) but being in the business, I have it on my laptop.

Just thought I might be able to shed more light on the subject.

Thanks

Mike

I wanted to put up a demo of this viewer and how it works as described above but my screen capture program would not fully display the video

I would recommend a PC-based DVR.You'll have all the flexibility you need.

Those ready DVRs will always lack some functions, and are not "out-of-the-box" at all.

Hi,

I am looking for a DVR system for my home, I think I will need

- not more than 8 cameras, maybe 4-5 outdoor,

-I was considering a SVAT CLEARVU3 for $1200, but I think it is a simplex

-or Q-see QSD2216C16-250 from Costco with 16 cameras (8x 3.6" and 8x 6")

if anyone can give me some comments on the systems above, but their menus look really hard to deal with.

besides, after reading some threads at this forum, i would even consider getting a separate DVR and customize the cameras

My budget for the whole system is around 1200.

I need 8 channels, I will use motion detection, and I will need the highest quality only for 2-3 cameras so I think 250 GB should be enough, the menu should be really easy to use, and I think I prefer a pentaplex and DVD-RW backup if it is possible.

just from briefly looking on the website, I liked the

Kodicom KSR816 with DVD backup, but I have no clue how much could it cost.

G4-LTA with 8 channels looks good but I think it does not have DVD-RW

Cameras:

I need probably 2 good cameras watching my car parked on the street about max 50 feet from the house, I want to be able to catch the guys who throw junk from a slow driving car at night, but there is enough street lights, so perhaps IR might not be necessary, but I need sharp pictures.

I need 3 indoor cameras -watching the garage door from inside, 2 entrances front back from inside,

and another 2 outdoor cameras watching the house from the front, nothing specific to watch for, and there is street lighting.

So that is 7 cameras, maybe another camera to watch the DVR to make it 8.

anyone can give me some feedback?

thanks

Al

I sent you a pm with what I would get, I didnt include it here so as not to ruffle any feathers for posting prices (even though they are retail) I will say that the best price on the brand of equipment I sent you will be found at www.shoreviewsecurityusa.com

I know the price is a little over your budget but I think its worth it. Get the DVR without a hard drive and DVD burner and just add them yourself. You can find great deals on those at newegg.com or my favorite www.zipzoomfly.com

Talk to Mike he is very knowlegable and great to talk to. I dont work for them or anything I just like to pass on good service when I get it.

I chose the XLA over the LTA because it will record at 2cif giving you a larger picture for verification purposes. I have the LTa and its ok but I wish I had gotten the XLA for the better recording resolution. I also have the cameras (P540X) that I posted and have been very happy with them. They will do your driveway justice. Here's a link to a review I did on them http://dopalgangr.bravehost.com/

And dont forget you will need to add power and cabling to your list as well

Again I dont work for Intellicam or anything just passing on my 2 cents

I chose the XLA over the LTA because it will record at 2cif giving you a larger picture for verification purposes. I have the LTa and its ok but I wish I had gotten the XLA for the better recording resolution. I also have the cameras (P540X) that I posted and have been very happy with them. They will do your driveway justice. Here's a link to a review I did on them dopalgangr bravehost com

And dont forget you will need to add power and cabling to your list as well

Again I dont work for Intellicam or anything just passing on my 2 cents

thank you so much dopalgangar, really apreciate your very useful advice. just few questions:

-I took a look at newegg and zipfly, when you get the HDD and DVDRW, what type do you buy? ATA-100, ATA-66, SATA, ATA-6, is it the same for XLA and LTA?

-what kind of powersupply do you get for all those cameras? a whole powerwitchbox, or individual, is it going to be more than $100

is the cabling going to be more than $100

-I took a look at the XLA manual, and I think I like how it works.

but In case that it is over my budget, I want to look at the LTA-8channel one, but could not find the manual, I found only the 4channel LTA manual.

both LTA's look different on the outside, but the manuals that I found were the same.

thanks again

[Mod Edit -Thomas There appears to be a language barrier issue here. I'm going to offer my translation.]

I am too stupid to read the forum guidelines.

Well if your new hear you should start by reading the rules

Warning. Your postings on this public forum will become public.

The basic ground rules for discussions on CCTV Forum are simple:

Have fun.

Be Polite.

Be Respectful.

Be Professional.

Use Common Sense.

Don't Break the Law.

Failure to use common sense resulting in impolite, disresectful, unprofessional, or illegal behavior may result in your account being suspended immediately, or any other action solely at the descretion of forum administrators and/or moderators.

Members are permitted a maximum of one account per person, no exceptions.

Please do not use this forums resources to promote other forums/communities of any type.

Please do not post in any language other than English.

Advertisements and/or solicitations should only be conducted offline (email or PM's ). In other words, please do not conduct business in forum posts. Any post of an obvious business nature will be removed by the moderators.

As a courtesy to our advertisers, please do not post links when recommending products; just post the recommended products name/model number etc.. Ofcourse, we encourage a search of our advertisers sites first for any recommended products mentioned in threads

Please refrain from posting special prices available only to dealers or installers in our forums. When in doubt, post the MSRP.

Out of respect for bandwidth and other technical concerns, we also ask that you please keep signatures a reasonable length and image free.

In light of our policy of encouraging candid, open exchanges of views and the rapid distribution of information originating from many sources, CCTV Forum cannot determine the accuracy of information that may be posted to the Forums.

Opinions, advice and all other information expressed by participants in discussions are those of the author. You rely on such information at your own risk. Participants are urged to seek professional advice for specific, individual situations and not rely solely on advice or opinions given in the discussions.

That's all folks, get back to posting and reading

I bought the G4-LTA and I want to drop kick it out the door.

The remote is difficult to get to work, the quality of the recording is not good, I have two cameras hooked up, if the cameras are run into a monitor without the DVR, perfect, if they are run through the DVR, terrible. And yes, we have tried different wires.

If someone else has had good luck, my hats off to you. I bought this unit because of the good reviews, but I am one disillusioned consumer.

Hi,

I am actually a distributor for these and I must ask did you reach out to who you bought it from for support?? I have an LTA that I use for demo purposes for potential customers to log into. The reviews are good because it really is a nice DVR. Maybe I can help you resolve your issue even though you did not purchase it from me.

Thanks

Mike

Hello Again,

I am concerned that a response has not been posted nor have I received a PM.

I do not want this DVR to get a bad name when it's not deserving. Who ever it was purchased from should make good on it by either out right replacing it or issuing an RMA for it's repair.

Please either reply or send me a PM ( Private Message ). I want to help you.

Thanks

Mike

Well if your new hear you should start by reading the rules

Warning. Your postings on this public forum will become public.

The basic ground rules for discussions on CCTV Forum are simple:

Have fun.

Be Polite.

Be Respectful.

Be Professional.

Use Common Sense.

Don't Break the Law.

Failure to use common sense resulting in impolite, disresectful, unprofessional, or illegal behavior may result in your account being suspended immediately, or any other action solely at the descretion of forum administrators and/or moderators.

Please do not use this forums resources to promote other forums/communities of any type.

Advertisements and/or solicitations should only be conducted offline (email or PM's ). In other words, please do not conduct business in forum posts. Any post of an obvious business nature will be removed by the moderators.

As a courtesy to our advertisers, please do not post links when recommending products; just post the recommended products name/model number etc.. Ofcourse, we encourage a search of our advertisers sites first for any recommended products mentioned in threads

Please refrain from posting special prices available only to dealers or installers in our forums. When in doubt, post the MSRP.

Out of respect for bandwidth and other technical concerns, we also ask that you please keep signatures a reasonable length and image free.

Wow, I guess me asking for opinions on two different dvr's from two different online dealers is not a good thing.

But then again these dvr's are not "professional" enough for this forum.