CottyGee

DIY Home DVR Recommendation?

The Police here in Alameda seem to like the JPEG 2000 machine I think its a combination of the 1 to 64 X search jog shuttle knob and the evidence CDs it produces.

I will PM you with an IP address so you can remotely play with the G4 LTA.

Daryll733

the Kodicam says max480 @CIF not d1

unless I should buy a 16 channel DVR and only use 4 channels???

The CDP507 states:

Maximum Recording Rate Frame: 720 x 480 pixels with 120 IPS NTSC / 720 x 576 pixels with 100 IPS PAL

Field: 720 x 240 pixels with 240 IPS NTSC / 720 x 288 pixels with 200 IPS PAL

CIF: 352 x 240 pixels with 480 IPS NTSC / 352 x 288 pixels with 400 IPS PAL

Adjustable Recording Speed Frame: 120, 60, 30, 15 IPS / 100, 50, 25, 12.5 IPS

Field: 240, 120, 60, 30 IPS / 200, 100, 50, 25 IPS

CIF: 480, 240, 120, 60 IPS / 400, 200, 100, 50 IPS

Image Quality Setting Best, High, Normal and Basic

for a 16 channel DVR it is the same and the connection to image quality for frame rate is not connected but my experience is the faster the rate the lower the quality to achieve it. so the quality will be basic the rate will be 7.5.

Is there a DVR that records 4 or 8 channels at 30 fps, at D1, with best (high) quality,- on all channels -at the same time?- not one at a time.

Or am I just dreaming?

Daryll733

the Kodicam says max480 @CIF not d1

unless I should buy a 16 channel DVR and only use 4 channels???

The CDP507 states:

Maximum Recording Rate Frame: 720 x 480 pixels with 120 IPS NTSC / 720 x 576 pixels with 100 IPS PAL

Field: 720 x 240 pixels with 240 IPS NTSC / 720 x 288 pixels with 200 IPS PAL

CIF: 352 x 240 pixels with 480 IPS NTSC / 352 x 288 pixels with 400 IPS PAL

Adjustable Recording Speed Frame: 120, 60, 30, 15 IPS / 100, 50, 25, 12.5 IPS

Field: 240, 120, 60, 30 IPS / 200, 100, 50, 25 IPS

CIF: 480, 240, 120, 60 IPS / 400, 200, 100, 50 IPS

Image Quality Setting Best, High, Normal and Basic

for a 16 channel DVR it is the same and the connection to image quality for frame rate is not connected but my experience is the faster the rate the lower the quality to achieve it. so the quality will be basic the rate will be 7.5.

Is there a DVR that records 4 or 8 channels at 30 fps, at D1, with best (high) quality,- on all channels -at the same time?- not one at a time.

Or am I just dreaming?

Thought u said you want 7.5FPS at D1 ? Or is it 30FPS at D1 now ? Got me confuse.....

Sorry for the confusion.

I was looking for 30 but can only find a max of 7.5 which is why I asked for "better than 7.5".

PLEASE-- Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,

Gesualdo

Did you look at any of the videos I mentioned, or is that just marketing bologna not worth considering?

For what it's worth, I'm not imagining much in the way of remote playback. Would a JPEG 2000 provide better pic quality than H.264 for the same $$$? What I'm asking is, would a JPEG 2000 machine provide more resolution as evidence for playback to police, etc. than a H.264? Or is that a dumb question?

Hey CG,

Have you selected/installed a system yet? Different situation but I'm kinda in the same boat myself... I don't need anything fancy and am looking for best bang for the buck. I too have looked at the Intellicam DVR's (I'm in the market for an 8 channel) and looks to be a good system. I'd been looking at the AVTech line but have heard the internet/remote piece isn't all that great, thought not sure how the I-cam is at that.

Hey CG,

Have you selected/installed a system yet?

No, but I need to do something soon. Recording on the time lapse VCR sucks!

I haven't been very impressed with image quality from the movie files I've watched of different machines. So far I haven't seen anything where you'd have a prayer of identifying a person without a shot that is pretty close - like a from-the-waist-up type shot, where the person's body more than fills the frame. I have seen the G4-LTA, and to me, I couldn't really say it's any better or worse than the other machines I viewed.

Edited by Guest

I think the budget and the level of quality you want doesn't really match.

As i said.. normally..... you pay peanuts... .anything better than a monkey's a steal.

You might want to consider spending more on the storage. Get a DVR, set it to HIGHEST resolution and framerate, and watch it burn through your storage .

I think the budget and the level of quality you want doesn't really match.

Well, that's certainly possible.

You might want to consider spending more on the storage. Get a DVR, set it to HIGHEST resolution and framerate, and watch it burn through your storage .

Well, I've been assuming that what I've been viewing has been highest resolution/framerate... At least w/ stuff from sites offering units for sale.

I have no objection to brief storage times. I don't anticipate actually recording much, since I plan on using motion activation. I could probably record a month of motion activated uncompressed video on the smallest HDD that would come with any unit... It's just my driveway and back yard I want to capture. Even if I could only retain for a WEEK, that wouldn't kill me... Retaining a week's video at a high quality setting would be just fine with me!

What I want to be able to do is recognize a known person walking on my driveway (3 cars wide). So that's what - maybe their entire body taking up maybe 1/3rd of the screen? Probably an unrealistic hope that I'll get that... Probably need one of those IP cameras or something ultra-high res.

In my opinion, you need two cameras to fulfill your goal. One camera is a wider shot, viewing the total driveway and vehicles. This camera will capture the actions of the vandalism. The second camera is the identification camera, zoomed in with a 12-50mm lense, aimed at a choke point where the suspect will pass. If he is hitting both cars parked side by side, I'd zoom in on the area of space that is between the cars.

Thanks, UMDRanger. I appreciate your suggestion.

Two cameras for the driveway is, in fact, what I had planned - though I'm not at all confident of really being able to get a "choke point".

The nature of a 3-car wide driveway is such that there are multiple paths of approach... So, my thought was that I would install one camera in plain view (in an enclosure) and the 2nd camera looking down and concealed - in the attic looking through a louvered gable vent. I'm not sure what else I can do, given that there are 4 approaches to the house, 3 of which are likely paths for vandals or burglars...

But what do I know? I'm a homeowner, so heck - you guys might have some brilliant idea that's never occurred to me... Which of course is what I'm here! So keep those ideas comin'!

Well it all depends on your unique situation. Are there trees, bushes, birdhouse, mailbox, etc in the vicinity of the most likely chokepoint?

If the vandalism has been centered on the vehicles in the driveway, the suspect is likely staying far from the house. Yet if your goal is to cover the house, obviously a choke point in the vicinity of the house makes sense... all the reason why people start with one or two cameras and quickly realize "what if they go to X?....." and want more cameras.

You could hide a camera in a custom home made enclosure at your mailbox, birdhouse, or other yard decoration. You would need to provide a path for the cables though, but it is an option.

As the homeowner, you have the benefit of being able to visualize whether the camera's view and location are in your interest. We can only provide ideas for locations. If you do a bit of searching here, there have been a few good threads with homeowners doing their own installs. One guy made a mailbox enclosure, and posted pictures. Google Earth images showed us his unique situation; but thats a whole nothter personal privacy concern with posting your home's location on the net.

In short, you could get a covert camera pretty much anywhere on your propertly, it just depends how much work you want to put into it, and whether it is worth it to you.

Well, I bought a DVR. Got the Intellicam G4-LTA w/ the H.264 compression and upgraded to a 250 GB HDD, which was a less-than-$50 add on. It should arrive toward the end of next week...

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Well, I bought a DVR. Got the Intellicam G4-LTA w/ the H.264 compression and upgraded to a 250 GB HDD, which was a less-than-$50 add on. It should arrive toward the end of next week...

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Please post in this thread when it arrives and you've had a chance to tinker with it. That's the same model I'm considering in the 16ch version. Thanks and good luck!

By the way, did you buy it direct from their website? Doesn't appear to be a ton of dealers selling it though did find a place selling it for quite a bit less than their website but am a bit leary since it's so much lower.

I adjusted the focus last night, in the dark. Picture is MUCH better. I think I've probably got the video quality I need, even with VHS playback, tho a bit more detail would obviously be better!

So far, I'm most intrigued by the G4-LTA mr.surveillance suggested. Sure would like some feedback on that unit tho!

Wait till daytime comes... your picture might be blurred again.

If that's the case, basically you are not using the correct type of lens.

Should use day/night lens.

The focus is fine during the day. Probably not *quite* as crisp as before, but good enough.

As for the DVR - yes, I bought it through Intellicam. I didn't find any prices that were less - they dropped the price on the 4ch by $50 a coupla weeks ago, which made them less than the cheapest eTailer I found in many, many Google searches... G4-LTA is what I bought w/ a 250GB hard drive and VGA output.

Hello,

I sell and install this unit and other Intellicam products as well. We do this for a living and have the LTA protecting my own property. We are a Mastrer Distributor for Intellicam. You are welcome to PM me and I will send you a username and password so you can demo yourself. Can be viewed using Internet Explorer but Active X will need to be enabled. Have 4 cams on this system, one being a PTZ, 2 IR cameras and a basic color security box camera monitoring my street.

Cameras really are the weakest link. Even with a great DVR with poor quality cameras, the DVR will only record what the camera "sees"

Thanks

Mike

www.shoreviewsecurityusa.com

Always on - Always Watching

The unit arrived yesterday and is up and running now. Having some problems with the motion activation - getting it to not be triggered all the time. Guess I'll have to play with the activation areas a bit - tree motion reflecting off the windshields of the cars seems to be triggering it!

Please excuse my ignorance as I am quite new to this market and am learning as I go along...

My intent is to set up a 4 camera surveillance system in my home to complement my security system. There have been a few recent break-ins in the neighborhood, so I am looking for a peace of mind when I am away from home.

I started with the standard internet searching (shallow at that), somehow coming back to the Swann DVDR4-Pro-Net Maxi Pro Kit. All the while I had been hoping to find something that would help me in my decision making process, and luckily I found this forum.

I am impressed with what I have read about the Intellicam units, but am hoping that more than just a handful of people are providing positive feedback about them.

Mike (shoreviewsecurity), what made you decide to go with the Intellicam products over the multitudes of others out there? I ask because I spoke directly to one of the top sales directors at Swann, and of course he was convinced that his product was far superior to everyone else's. He was quite believable, although thusfar he has not been able to provide concrete testimonials, forums, blogs, software download links, etc. Understand that since I am purchasing this for home use, I want to know that I am purchasing a quality product (for the price range) as opposed to getting stuck with a toy such as the Swann. Plus, since most of my monitoring will be done via the internet, good remote performance will be an important factor.

I also have a question about cameras. Since I had spent most of my time researching Swann products, I took interest in their Maxi Day/Night cameras. Now that I have been turned in the direction of Intellicam, I am interested in how their G4-400HPT camera compares to the Swann model. Are they comparable, or does the Intellicam camera beat the pants off the Swann model? Also, for home use, do either of these seem to be overkill? Although I will be mounting them indoors, they will have a good unobstructed view of the outside, so the infrared will come in quite handy at night. If there's another camera in that price range and feature set that is a better recommendation for home use, please let me know.

I apologize if these questions have already been answered in other threads. And if the camera question needs to be reposted in one of the camera threads, please let me know.

IF i am not wrong, Swann's basically for DIY.

And most of their cameras are low range CMOS cameras (so far the range i had seen in aust and singapore).

And their DVR's basically OEM's from other brand.

E.g. http://www.swannstore.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=515&category_id=44

DVR 4400â„¢ MPEG 4 = CPD-560 = AVC-760.

IT stated MPEG 4, but did not mention MPEG 4 only when you record at CIF. At Frame (4CIF), it's recording in mjpeg.

DIY, easy to install, yes. Go with swan. Want something better, check out other supplier.

I started with the standard internet searching (shallow at that), somehow coming back to the Swann DVDR4-Pro-Net Maxi Pro Kit. All the while I had been hoping to find something that would help me in my decision making process, and luckily I found this forum.

I'm a "noob" myself so can't speak from the technical side but I was in the same position as you about 4 months ago. Unfortunately I didn't find this site until after I bought a Sam's Club "kit" (SVAT 4 camera model) and was disappointed in the overall quality. It's not horrible, but it's missing enough features that I wanted more and started doing some research. I've gotten some great info on this site and am very close to a purchase (Intellicam or Argus). In general it seems the professional opinions on Swann and other "mass marketed" systems are that they're a joke, but I don't have any experience to make such a comment. I think it all depends on your needs and expectations, for what you want to do maybe the Swann system is perfect. Keep doing what you're doing... lots of info out there to help make an informed decision.

As you said, there are many choices out there and I have experienced many of them in my day to day maintenance effort. I have been using this product for about three years and once I found this DVR, I never looked any further. There are many reasons why I stick with G4. One that is most important to me is that I have NEVER had one fail. Important to me simply because once I install a system, return visits to the property cost me money. I am a firm believer in not changing horses in midstream so to speak. Also, we offer FREE DDNS service with every unit sold. Please visit my website for more info on this. Another added value and I would assume being this is going to be installed in your home, you have a dynamic IP address ( one that changes ). You'll drive yourself crazy comparing, talking to reps and the like. I did that already! I have other manufacturers calling me to sell their DVR and I simply say no thank you. Maybe a little close-minded but this DVR works for me.

As far as the camera, I see that the Swann has only 24 LED's whereas the 400HPT has 36. I can tell you though that the G4-400HPT may be an overkill especially indoors but an excellent cam outdoors. It features a varifocal lens and a special lens covering that eliminates IR back wash. A common problem with IR cams. Also, I don't like the fact that the wire is exposed on the swann where the wire is enclosed through the bracket on 400HPT. Can't tell if the swann changes to B&W at night HPT does. Provides sharper images in this mode. Just a better cam. Think I am running out of room to go on here. Hope this helps?? Thanks

Mike

As far as the camera, I see that the Swann has only 24 LED's whereas the 400HPT has 36. Mike

Actually, IMHO, more LED's doesn't mean better.

The cameras consume more power when there's more LED. Also, more LED doesn't mean further. It depends on your surrounding as well. Most cameras does auto contrasting, electronic shuttering nowadays. When there's a stationary object in the near field of your camera view, e.g. table, lamp pole, flower, overhanging branch, or even spider web, the IR LED will reflect off these object. It'll basically force your camera to adjust the brightness lower so that they are able to see these object shin brightly by the IR LED light. This in turn will render things further away into total darkness.

That's why the specs say the effective distance of the LED, and not how far the IR Camera can see. Basically, those cam that says can see that far a distance at night guaranteed... be sure to ask for $$ back guarantee.

First, the break-ins were occuring during the daytime, but now they are starting to do so in the middle of the night, when the lights inside my home are off and an infrared camera would come in very handy. Understanding that I will not be purchasing a top of the line camera with high-def resolution, or a 4CIF D1 DVR capable of recording at the best quality, would a combination of a G4-LTA DVR and G4-400HPT cameras be a good solution for my home? Would a G4-4XLA be a better choice? FYI Mike, I already posted a request on another thread for a comparison of these DVRs, so I won't ask again in this thread.

Any camera can be a good deterrent when displayed in full view, but if someone does decide to snoop around my door to look in to see whether I have a surveillance system, I would like to be able to have a somewhat reasonable recording of them doing so, so I can give a copy to the police if need be. And if they decide to break in in the middle of the night, I would hope that I can provide a decent enough recording as well, given the rare chance that they would not be covering their face and would actually look in the direction of the camera.

I realize the camera may be a bit much for indoor home surveillance, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Is there another camera you would recommend for my home?

Mike, do you predominantly sell to businesses, or do you have enough home sales?

Thank you for taking your time out of your weekend to answer these questions!

First, the break-ins were occuring during the daytime, but now they are starting to do so in the middle of the night, when the lights inside my home are off and an infrared camera would come in very handy. Understanding that I will not be purchasing a top of the line camera with high-def resolution, or a 4CIF D1 DVR capable of recording at the best quality, would a combination of a G4-LTA DVR and G4-400HPT cameras be a good solution for my home? Would a G4-4XLA be a better choice? FYI Mike, I already posted a request on another thread for a comparison of these DVRs, so I won't ask again in this thread.

Any camera can be a good deterrent when displayed in full view, but if someone does decide to snoop around my door to look in to see whether I have a surveillance system, I would like to be able to have a somewhat reasonable recording of them doing so, so I can give a copy to the police if need be. And if they decide to break in in the middle of the night, I would hope that I can provide a decent enough recording as well, given the rare chance that they would not be covering their face and would actually look in the direction of the camera.

I realize the camera may be a bit much for indoor home surveillance, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Is there another camera you would recommend for my home?

Mike, do you predominantly sell to businesses, or do you have enough home sales?

Thank you for taking your time out of your weekend to answer these questions!

Well I just got off the phone with Mike, hard to find anyone these days to answer the phone on a Saturday then spend 30 minutes answering all of your questions. I think his business is going to do well if he keeps that up!! Anyway I have the same issue as kampkrusty and have decided to go with the G4-LTA and three of the G4-400HPT cameras (wish I could afford the fourth ) Once I get the system I will give my COMPLETE unbiased opinion and include some screen shots and stuff. I curretly have an older (2005) dvr that I am replacing with this one. I was really happy with the user interface and stuff. Anywho, I dont think you can go wrong with either and Mike does have some pretty good prices on his site, aswell as free shipping and free DDNs. Sounds like a win win to me. PS Mike if you get this and wouldnt mind pm'ing me that site and password you offered earlier for the G4-LTA, I would like to look at it.

See ya