Jersey Joe

Can I use a camcorder into a DVR for surveillance?

While I search for a suitable "real" solution, is there a way to use my old Sony Hi8 camcorder as a security camera? I think I would need to still pipe it thru a DVR card like the GV's and such but those are all BNC correct? Let me know if this is feasible or am I just being a ... noob

Sure it'll work. Get a simple RCA to BNC adapter (all of $3) and you're good to go.

The question of how well it will work depends on what you are expecting / wanting to see.

That will be determined by trial and error. You may find it works well as a temp solution and need to buy a dedicated CCTV camera, or you may find it works great for what you want.

Well it IS a Sony Hi8(an oldie about 9yrs old)...can't hurt to try. I'll report back as to the results. Thanks again for the replies!

I've been using 2 Sony digital 8 handcams and they work fine. Just turn them to "camera" mode as if you were going to take a digital picture instead of the mode to record to tape. My cameras don't time out in this mode.

I've been using 2 Sony digital 8 handcams and they work fine. Just turn them to "camera" mode as if you were going to take a digital picture instead of the mode to record to tape. My cameras don't time out in this mode.

But the question is how long will they stay powered on running on just the battery? Couple hours at most rite?

My sony (9 years old too) will timeout if it's running on battery, or if there is a tape inside.

Make sure the A/C adapter is plugged in, switch it to camera mode, and make sure there is no tape in. On mine, A/C adapter + no tape = will run forever as a camera. Then you plug the video/audio cable in (the cable withthe 4-banded 'headphone' plug on one end and the white/red/yellow RCA plugs on the other. Get an RCA to BNC adapter (if the DVR uses BNC).

If you need a longer cable then make sure you get a couple of RCA-to-RCA adapters so you can plug two RCA cables together.

Not sure what the duty cycle is on the camcorder is, though. I don't think they are designed for 24x7 use - and definitely not for 24x7 outdoor use (think humidity/rain etc)

I had several sony 8mm units with defective tape transports and used them as CCTV cameras for over 2 years with no problems.

(They look strange but work good!)

Tape door open, camera mode on AC power.

Good luck.

BTW If you are using power from other than the Sony adaptor/charger and are connecting to the battery terminals be sure the supplied voltage is the same as the original Sony adaptor, if you supply it with the same voltage as the battery pack it will time out...