scorpion

Comcast to install cameras in set top boxes!

I wonder what kind of crappy camera they will use??

It had better be mega pixal, and it better have some analytical program to tell one viewer from another!!

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=2124

Comcast considers creepy new addition to the set top box

Date: March 24th, 2008

Author: Tricia Liebert

Category: Broadband, News, Privacy, Surveillance, Media

Tags: Set-top Box, Set-top, Comcast Corp., TV, Camera, PBX Hacking, Tv & Home Theater, Cable, Network Technology, Personal Technology

91 comment(s) Email Save Print Digg This Recommend 3

I have never been one of the tinfoil hat crowd in the past, but that could change –especially in light of the comments made by Comcast’s Gerard Kunkel, senior VP of user experience, to reporter Chris Albrecht of NewTeeVee.com. Mr. Kunkel mentioned an experiment with different camera technologies built into the cable box that would be able to tell who is in the room watching television.

From NewTeeVee:

The idea being that if you turn on your cable box, it recognizes you and pulls up shows already in your profile or makes recommendations. If parents are watching TV with their children, for example, parental controls could appear to block certain content from appearing on the screen. Kunkel also said this type of monitoring is the “holy grailâ€

Maybe they are planning on expanding to cover home security in the long term, they would have a camera in lots of homes, covering the area near the tv that a thief is likely to go for... They just need to charge for a service where footage is recorded whilst you are out, and allow retrieval if their is a incident...

They could make a fortune....

Oh noooo!

I have already had to deal with parinoid tweeker calls: "My cable box is watching me, I can hear them!

Yes I really get calls like this and have been for years.

How will I know whos crazy now?

Just think of the video's you will get to see on the world's funniest and certifiable video's

Now they can look in and see how your livin when you say you cant pay the bill...

I can hear it now:

"well if you'll sell that extra sofa..."

"your son looks kinda heavy, what does it cost to feed him..."

"what about your wife laying there, she got any money..."

Jim