si_kungs

stripping of operating system to make it stable

One more idea, after you get it the way you want it, take an image of it using hard drive imaging software (Norton Ghost, Acronis, etc) that way if it goes teets up again you can just reapply the image and your up and running with out reinstalling every thing, however anything done to the pc after the image was taken will have to be reinstalled. And most of these will let you make an image to burn to a dvd and make it bootable so all you have to do is through it in and go

Here is a free one if you dont want to buy it wwwxxclonecom (you will have to put the dots in I cant post sites yet)

Nlite, but what you remove will depend on the DVR.

It will take time and learning of said DVR to get it right.

Although you can test it in Virtual Box, the DVR Card is not in there, so thats not the real test.

Otherwise you can just install default XP then tweak it And turn off certain services that will never be used.

Nlite, but what you remove will depend on the DVR.

It will take time and learning of said DVR to get it right.

Although you can test it in Virtual Box, the DVR Card is not in there, so thats not the real test.

Otherwise you can just install default XP then tweak it And turn off certain services that will never be used.

sir rory what are the services that we need to turn off on windows xp?

Rory I like the Sir, See your like a knight in shining armor to some of us Rory

But seriously what services do you or anyone else turn off........

Hnmmmm .. been disabling services for the Eee PC recently so dont want to get it mixed up .. will post something this weekend though .. also the real issue is that different DVRs may require different services .. but will post some safe ones to disable ..

Rory I like the Sir, See your like a knight in shining armor to some of us Rory

But seriously what services do you or anyone else turn off........

First I go to control panel, add/remove programs and remove things like games, messenger, paint and other little programs you will not use.

Also switch off all graphics extras, e.g. right click desktop, click properties/personize, then switch off all animations, visual styles, revert to windows classic style, this can save alot of memory, especially in Vista

In XP/2000/Vista, go to control panel, administration tools, services, disable things (by right click then select disable) like windows error reporting, universal plug n play, remote assistance, remote registry, SSDP, web client, terminal services, web search, indexing, windows media network sharing, tablet pc input service, routing & remote access, internet connection sharing (ICS), ** These are mostly security and performce tweaks by turning off things we dont normally use & freeing resources or they are security risks. I also disable some hardware like bluetooth as I dont use these services. Be careful, dont disable required services.

Go to start, select run, type in 'msconfig'. Select the startup tab, uncheck non windows programs, you will find things here you didnt know were running, this again speeds up boot times and frees up memory & CPU. dont disable things like firewall or antivirus

Turn off system restore, use Norton Ghost to make a snapshot of PC after all configurations and windows updates are done. Avoid Norton & Mcafee antivurs as they bog down the system a bit, try AVG antivirus instead.

Right click on your hard drives, make sure indexing is turned off, ensure drives are formattes in NTFS. Make sure you run a defragmentation on the drives and use desktop cleanup tool. This should help speed things up a bit.

Last of all, make sure you got ample memory installed. Disable all visual styles in Vista it is very resource hungry.

PM me for a few quick memory enhancing tips

what are the required services?

Besides what securicorp suggested above:

GOOGLE:

black viper xp services

Note if you're running Vista I think there is info on the various services as well.