what brand of mobile dvr have you encountered and what is your feedback regarding the performance of it?

There's a few defination of mobile DVR.

I presume you refer to those that's use in the car right ?

Even then.. there's 2 kind.

1. Accidents recording.

-Only need to be on when the car is being driven. So power can tap from car batt.

2. Vandalism recording.

-You'll need to think of some other power source. Can still tap from batt, but u'll risk running the batt flat.

Most DVR that i see that proclaim themselves as Mobile (as in car) dvr does not come complete with power. They presume u'll tap the power from the car batt, and thus only will function when car is started. One vendor i seen, basically connect directly to car batt, and run it flat. And supply the cust with an emergency charger to jump start the car whenever the car batt's flat.

thanks for the input sir scorpion and sir daryl. so we need to consider it if the dvr will be always on or on only if the vehicle is running. in practice what do most installer do ? also will there be an issue for the hard disk storage? can the hard disk withstand the vibration?

The question is not whether the DVR will be recording with the ignition on, or powered 24/7.

The question is:

Are you recording other driver's driving habits, and perhaps providing a "black box" info for crash analysis such as a camera on the dash board for turnsignal identification, or miles (kilo) per hour?

Do you have somekind of business such as a courier, or a pizza delivery person where cameras will be viewing areas in case you are attacked, or robbed? This would dictate what kind of DVR you should buy!

For more info you may want to follow the post of the forum member by the name of Scruit.

He is very technical, and will be doing things above the "do it yourself" kind of projects, but the info that he has is very insightful!!

http://www.cctvforum.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3465

Here is one of the topics in reference to dash cams:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11154&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This might be of interest to you:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=72979&highlight=#72979

Here is another thread:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=72911&highlight=#72911

I hope you enjoy those links!

What do you think?

thanks for sharing the links. i find it helpful. sir if we used hard disk for storage will there be a problem? do i need to use special hard disk for mobile dvr? i plan to offer the bus company. what cameras and dvr can you recommend?

Edited by Guest

My ears are burning!

Search Youtube for video posted by me (same name). You'll see some videos from my dashcam, and a coupel videos detailing how the dashcam is put together.

Also check out posts here by erkme73 - his dashcam uses less expensive equipment and is a less invasive install, but still gets a good quality forward view with GPS overlay. His footage has been used in a court hearing too.

My system gives a longer history, 4 video channels (Front, Front w/gps, rear and driver). and a higher quality video under extreme lighting conditions - but it also cost about $1k and took 12 hours to install. For me it's definitely a hobby - if all i wanted was a dashcam for accient evidence I'd go with erkme73's design - definitely wins the K.I.S.S award.

OOPS!

I did not know you were lurking around here!

I am glad I spoke nice about you!

For more info you may want to follow the post of the forum member by the name of Scruit.

He is very technical, and will be doing things above the "do it yourself" kind of projects, but the info that he has is very insightful!!

WHEW!

what is the function of gps data overlay module?

It takes data from the GPS antenna and overlays Speead, heading, location and time on the image form the front camera. It's a reliable permanent record of speed - which is almost always in dispute after an accident or ticket.

Trans Vu. I have a lot of experience with this unit. Units upto 16 camera's with different size HDD's. Images/Raw data can be transmitted via wireless. Has GPS. The background raw data has brakes, indicators, speed, GPS location and a G sensor. Has Net Vu observer viewing software which can be used with any DM Product. Most stable unit we have come across. Ruggerdised for Transport/mobile use. Unlike some mobile DVR's the HDD is of the 2 1/2 inch variety not the 3 1/2 in some DVR's. Found the DVR's with 3 1/2 HDD can become unstable. Other companies to look at:

Integrian (Innovonics)

Verient

Hope this helps.