C7 in CA

Monitor a computer display with megapixal IP cam?

I have a client with 3 CNC machines that he wants to monitor from home. He just wants to log in periodically to ensure the machines are not in fault mode. We looked into networking the machines (obviously the best way to monitor) but that isn't going to happen. So it's CCTV time.

The CNC machines have 12-15" monitors and the cameras will be mounted high and 10 to 12 feet away. There is an option to mount on the machine but I really don't want to go that route. Lighting is decent and doesn't change. The monitor normally displays a beige background with status info, and the error screen changes to black background with orange writing. It isn't important to read the messages as much as it is to simply tell it is displaying an error sceen. So I think the project is very do-able.

Budget is flexible but not unlimited. I am thinking about Arecont 2100's with 50mm lens fed into a POE switch. No recording needed.

So what do you think? What is the best way of capturing the most data possible from these displays?

Update:

I pointed a cheapo bullet at an LCD monitor and got good results! well, good color rendition but no resolution. I'm hopeful Megapixel may make the display readable. I'm seeing a mild shadow roll horizontal on the video, but otherwise very usable image!

I know you said no networking the machines but have you looked into using a IP KVM instead?

You can get them relatively cheap now and they will allow remote control of the pc without touching the pc hardware just looks like monitor,keyboard and mouse to it and usually still has local outputs for the real stuff on the desk.

Another approach would be a VGA to composite converter and capture the montior output just like a camera, but an IP Kvm will give much better results as it can handle megapixel VGA resolution instead of downsampling to NTSC.

Justin

I know you said no networking the machines but have you looked into using a IP KVM instead?

You can get them relatively cheap now and they will allow remote control of the pc without touching the pc hardware just looks like monitor,keyboard and mouse to it and usually still has local outputs for the real stuff on the desk.

Another approach would be a VGA to composite converter and capture the montior output just like a camera, but an IP Kvm will give much better results as it can handle megapixel VGA resolution instead of downsampling to NTSC.

Justin

Good Idea

Yeah they are pretty useful devices, many are usb based now for mouse but also support making your local cd drive or thumb drive show as drive on the remote box through the usb.

Also you can put one in front of a normal KVM as we do at the office, as we already had a 8 port standard KVM, so just got a single port IP KVM and use the special keystokes to tell the 8 port to switch inputs.

On a side note if your buying Dell servers now for say a NVR or something for about $250(I think) they offer a DRAC(Dell remote access card) which is basically a IP KVM built in to the server, lets you do CD drive emulation (I even installed Windows server remotely through it) and power up/down the box all through IE activex, worth it IMO and no need for a external IP KVM or to install VNC or the likes.

BTW most IP KVM's are just embedded linux boxes and use VNC as the protocol including the DRAC so you can just use your preferred VNC client if you don like thier client.

Justin

Ultra VNC?

That's a great idea Justin. unfortunately these things are built from the ground up to be a CNC. No outputs other then a proprietary looking connector or two. Probably for servicing or something. Lots of buttons but no keyboard. It has an LCD screen but it is integrated into the machine. The client spoke with the manufacturer about his need and they had no suggestions.

Ideally the manufacturer would provide alarm outputs. Then the alarm company could simply call when there is an error. No need to check in all night.

What about a small circuit containing a light dependant resistor (ldr), to switch a transistor or relay, set up so that if you stick the ldr on the corner of the monitor, when the fault occurs, and the screens background goes black, the resistance changes enough to trigger the relay or transistor, giving a signal to your existing monitored alarm setup?

That sounds interesting Ken.

I will speak with the client and see if there are other times during setup or operation that the screen changes. The circuit might need a "day mode" timer or switch so the alarm isn't tripping while someone is manning the station or setting up the machine. I would think you would want a delay on the circuit as well. I would like the screen to be dark for a minute or longer before firing the relay to help reduce false alarms. And while we are at it; might need some type of sensitivity setting for the ldr? While the screen does go dark, it is LCD and still putting out lumination.

I know the timers add complexity to the circuit, but these guys are going to be pulling people out of bed in the middle of the night to answer these alarms. So false alarms will get tiresome very fast.

I'm not a circuit designer. Any ideas who I would speak to about building something like this?

That's a great idea Justin. unfortunately these things are built from the ground up to be a CNC. No outputs other then a proprietary looking connector or two. Probably for servicing or something. Lots of buttons but no keyboard. It has an LCD screen but it is integrated into the machine. The client spoke with the manufacturer about his need and they had no suggestions.

Ah well too bad, though they might be sealed PC's but still have standard ports on them for monitor etc.

Well most likely if you crack one open there will be a VGA or DVI connection in there between the montior and the motherboard but I would imagine your client wouldn't want to get into that

Seems pretty hackish to point a camera at a monitor, kinda like having a printer feed into a scanner but you gotta do what you gotta do, good luck.

Justin

We cracked it open.

Lots of processor type stuff, but nothing like motherboards and video cards and such that I would recognize. And no standard peripheral ports. Just a couple of unusual connectors tucked away. Probably for servicing or equipment options they didn't buy? I have picture of the outside of the machine I will post later.

I agree cctv is a somewhat desperate work around. I didn't even consider cameras until the client hit a brick wall with the manufacturer. When I first got the call I figured it was going to be a simple networking project. Who'd a thunk any million dollar computer operated machine made in the last 15 years wouldn't have a network jack? 78157_1.gif

We cracked it open.

Lots of processor type stuff, but nothing like motherboards and video cards and such that I would recognize. And no standard peripheral ports. Just a couple of unusual connectors tucked away. Probably for servicing or equipment options they didn't buy? I have picture of the outside of the machine I will post later.

I agree cctv is a somewhat desperate work around. I didn't even consider cameras until the client hit a brick wall with the manufacturer. When I first got the call I figured it was going to be a simple networking project. Who'd a thunk any million dollar computer operated machine made in the last 15 years wouldn't have a network jack? 78157_1.gif

I missed that in the first post .. do they at least have a modem?

Nope, No modem. Now the guy is out of the office today and left no instruction. So much for wanting it done yesterday...