Orion

End of XP?

A supplier (Pc stuff) told me that Microsoft is stopping the sale of XP in late June.

Anybody that can confirm this?

In that case the only current solution is to run Geo, or any other Nvr soft

for that matter, on Vista

Never trusted Vista to be stable enough to run a surveillance system on.

There aren't that many Linux based systems on the market right now,

so it doesn't look to good.

I have heard that as of June no more OEM and by the end of the year no more retail either….I have been wanting to conform also. GeoVision should be fine with Vista though.

back to RTOS stand alone then

They plan to still sell for another couple years for mini PCs such as the Eee PC though not sure if that is only to the manufacturer or also to end users.

Personally I wont use Vista for a DVR so will need to move onto greener pastures when that takes place.

Personally I wont use Vista for a DVR so will need to move onto greener pastures when that takes place.

I wouldn't use it on my home PC either.

Spoke to Geo today and learned that embedded XP will be avalible.

Hmmmm.....could be a way to go. To bad it expensive as hell

What is expensive $$$

How do you mean?

What stuff is expensive or how much is expensive?

The stuff that is expensive is the embedded compilation pack.

How much is it then? I can't remember the exact sum.

I spoke to Microsoft last year about it and remember that

I have to sell a lot of PCs to break even.

The other disadvantage was that my PCs are tailored for the customer,

so I would have to make one compilation every time I build a new one.

XP embedded costs $90 per machine. You also need a toolkit to build your systems, which costs about $1000 (this is just one time cost).

You know the same thing happened when XP first came out. I am not one to stand behind Microsoft and I don't think my MCSE Cert can be taken away for that but i will say that every time a new operating system comes out there is always a large group that do not want to change or do not even want to give it a try because of what they have heard or a first release right out of the box experiance.

I believe if you remeber back in october of 2001 when XP Came out it had the same fanfare as Vista and had a lot of problems as well b ut windows has had that reputation since windows 1.0 came out in 1985 and possibly before that but no body really talked about it as widely because we only had BBS Message boards, Group meetings of computer users at small meeting halls and large conferances just starting up.

As time goes by in the next year or so i believe Windows vista will become more stable if it is still considered unstable even after the release of Service pack 1 recently. to tell you the truth and any True computer person will tell you that if you want reliabilitty and stability then MS Windows is not the way to go but the problem lies with the software manufacturers making all the software for Microsoft.

If they would make more software for the Linux platform that the typical end user would like such as the mainstream games and stuff then linux would be as popular. Myself I personally run a couple of diffrent operating systems right now to include Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Pro, Windows Vista Ultimate and of course I am also running a linux server and have Linux and Windows XP installed as a Dual boot on one PC.

I garuntee that as long as the manufacturers keep making the software to run under Windows then windows will still be at the top and we will have this discussion every time a new version comes out which means we will be talking about the same situation in 2010 when the next version is slated to make it appearance and people will be stating they are not going to move away from Vista.

I agree though and do not agree about installing a DVR on a Vista machine but I have done it a few times at customer request but I can tell you it was a very basic stripped down version almost looked like Windows 2000 was installed. Have not had a problem with them yet and have not had a problem with a GV-1480 or GV800 I have been running locally for about 6 months either on Windows Ultimate.

When Geovision makes the software and cards run under Linux I WILL make that switch without blinking.

Now do not get me wrong i am just staing things that I see i am not backing up Microsoft nor am I saying anyone here is wrong in what they are saying. I may be completely wrong myself but nobaby can be correct all the time.

Matt

Vista is a Flop, MS knows that, Windows 7 will be out in a couple years so no worries.

Vista:

1-At least 30% Slower than XP

2-MS Tried to make it look like Mac

3-Just doesn't feel like Windows

4-No real reason to use it over XP

5-Tweaked or not, it's slow.

So Vista is not yet to become everyone choice of OS and XP is going to expired, what shall we do then ?? is Linux based surveillance system a way to go ?

cheers

You know the same thing happened when XP first came out. I am not one to stand behind Microsoft and I don't think my MCSE Cert can be taken away for that but i will say that every time a new operating system comes out there is always a large group that do not want to change or do not even want to give it a try because of what they have heard or a first release right out of the box experiance.

Matt

I have built Pcs since Dos 3.0 so I have experienced every OS

change since then. I have been in the fronline for all these OS and tested

them before my customer asked for them. Sure, I' older now, but I'm

hoping that I'm not a grumpy old man afraid of changes yet

The thing with Vista is that it eats resources, is very unfriendly to

third part software and as Rory said, slower than Xp.

Customers with little computer experience have a big deal of trouble of

handling Vista. I had customers turning down my laptops because I can't

get laptops with XP any more.

Nah, I think I'll give embedded a second chance. The prices shown in this

thread is much lower then I remember. If I can get those prices in Sweden

the problem is solved.

Vista is a Flop, MS knows that, Windows 7 will be out in a couple years so no worries.

Vista:

1-At least 30% Slower than XP

2-MS Tried to make it look like Mac

3-Just doesn't feel like Windows

4-No real reason to use it over XP

5-Tweaked or not, it's slow.

And forget it Sucks

Even now Dell gives you a choice of Vista or XP. Like Rory said Vista was a complete Flop...

Matt

I have built Pcs since Dos 3.0 so I have experienced every OS

change since then. I have been in the fronline for all these OS and tested

them before my customer asked for them. Sure, I' older now, but I'm

hoping that I'm not a grumpy old man afraid of changes yet

The thing with Vista is that it eats resources, is very unfriendly to

third part software and as Rory said, slower than Xp.

Customers with little computer experience have a big deal of trouble of

handling Vista. I had customers turning down my laptops because I can't

get laptops with XP any more.

Nah, I think I'll give embedded a second chance. The prices shown in this

thread is much lower then I remember. If I can get those prices in Sweden

the problem is solved.

As I said in my post I agree that XP is a better operating system but as of right now the best and I emphasize MICROSOFT Windows operating system that is the as stable as Microsoft can get it is Windows 2000 then it would be Windows XP.

I agree completely that Windows vista is a Complete system resource Hog and i have not seen too many reasons or enhancements over Windows XP that would warrant changing to windows Vista over XP and If I did not have to deal with any Windows Vista machine in my line of work which part of my business is Computer Consulting I would not have the OS on one of my systems at home.

Out of the Box what I see on vista is it is More Graphical but as anyone knows you can make XP look just like Vista, Ok it has a sidebar ( I don't use mine it is closed) which is a resource hog itself, Hey they changed the Start button to a Round button they now call an "ORB" ohhh yeah and don't forget all the security and stuff like that that they added so they can make sure your computer is running better for you. Now don't get me wrong that all sounds good on paper but now what do you have a very graphical system with little gadgets and an ORB that Microsoft makes sure you are running correctly and constantly monitors that needs a lot more memory and CPU resources than you needed with XP which can doo all the same stuff.

All I meant to say in my post before is windows XP had the same problems when it came out but with time the things got better and it is now stable. I remeber Programs that would not run under Windows XP which seems to be a big issue with Vista but most of the major Software manufacturers are making thier software compatible with Vista now which I believe is literally crazy myself that everytime Microsoft gets a whim to release software the third party apps have to scramble to conform to MS but that is how it is. When Vista first started coming out i have a few customers that always want the latest and greatest and they all called and wanted Vista of course I had to explain to them I needed a list of all the software they run so i can see if it would even run on Vista. The main problem I had since most of my Commercial customers use Quickbooks and various other systems is they would not work under Windows vista so I had to tell them that is how it is until thier Third party vendor releases an update they can't use Vista with it.

Of course you always have the customers who want to use thier new Windows Vista Laptop they bought for use at Home and use it at work as well and you have to tell them they can't use most of thier software for work on it even with Windows XP compatibility mode turned on.

While I am on the laptop side let me say this. I DO NOT think Vista should be installed on any Laptop. here is my reasoning. Vista requires a lot more resources and yes memory is cheap for desktops and CPU's for desktops are reasonable. but a laptop is supposed to be a portable lightweight PC which everything costs a lot more and with Vista needing about twice as many resources to run the same as XP would you more than double the price of a good laptop. unless you are getting a laptop that is top of the end and i only know a few commercial accounts and a few individual people that buy the most expensive top of the line laptops every year then Vista is not for you on a laptop. My laptop I run all my important stuff to Invoicing software and use it at customer locations and I can not afford it to be unstable or run slow and I do not have the Most expensive Laptop because I do take it out to customer locations and it does get scrathes and subject to abuse

I have been building PC's for a long time and I still have a copy of Windows 2.0 on 5 1/4 Floppy for nostalgia reasons of course. and Hands down my OS of Choice is Linux and the only reason i use anything else is because my Livelyhood demands it. I have a BS is Computer Science with MCSE, A+, CCIE Cert and others plus experiance which is more important than any piece of paper and i will admits Vista would be the very last OS I would tell someone to get on thier PC but as long as Microsoft is making software people are going to buy it because

"it is made by Microsoft and they never make anything bad" right?

Windows 7, Now you think that it is going to be a lot better than Vista. it will still be a resource hog just as Vista and by then Vista may be stable but still a resource hog. Here is what is happening. MS is going to keep building these operating systems so we have got to get used to it and hopefully every one on here will hit a Lotto somewhere and be able to buy systems every time a NEW OS comes out so we can increase the CPU and other System resources to install the new OS that cost's more and more with every release.

I can not believe no one has mentioned the Price of Windows Vista. That should be a good deterant also. between $199 to $319 depending on what version. Only software i know that cost more than that is business related like Accounting, Cad, Design and software like that. If it were around $99 it woud be a little better.

Sorry about the long posts

Matt

P.S. Geovision can you make your cards run on Linux? That would make my life a lot better.

Now we are taking the same language!

I agree to every word. Well written!

The thing that bugs me is that MS doesn't leave a choise this time.

It's Vista or bust, because XP is going out of sales.

It would be possible to strip Vista down to the bones to make it more

DVR/NVR friendly, but that is going to cost me time witch I don't have.

(Same problem with Embedded really)

Xp pro is nice that way, just install and ship.

I got exactly the same price on XP pro and Vista pro as OEM.

So the pricing doesn't bother me at all.

Nope no support for Linux with Geo....yet....(Closing eyes and wishing)

My computer tech just bought a Dell XPS with Vista. We likes it a lot, and a week earlier he had the same arguments about Vista that are being mentioned here. (And this is coming from a Linux and Mac guy) Now he says Vista works well when it comes on a machine designed for it.

When it comes to computers I am not an authority; more like a power user. So from my perspective all I can say regarding speed is office 07 opens faster under Vista then I have ever seen office 03 open under XP. The machine boots fast too. But I still won't be rushing out to replace my XP laptop.

And I agree these capture cards should be made to operate under Linux before Windows...

Yeah .. Vista by default can take way longer to boot compared to XP.

I used it for a couple days, tweaked it to the bone, and it was still slow, even with 3GB DDR2-667 and a Core 2 Duo 2.0 2MB Cache. Went back to XP and was flying .. literally

Now when I can boot Vista in 16 seconds like I can XP on my 900 Mhz Eee PC with XP pro SP2 .. then I will submit

Just finished installing XP SP3 on my workstation, went fine. PC seems a little quicker doing everything too. Long live XP.

Well guys, Not sure what to say other then Your Mileage May Very.

The machine is new and came with Vista. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it's working just fine so far!

I have an Eee PC .. 900Mhz clocked at 670Mhz .. with 2Gb RAM ..

My boot times are as follows with Windows XP Pro SP2:

---------------------------------

Granted most people cant use the PC without some or all of the following, this is just for info. Times are approx. All started services are set to automatic.

16.xx seconds:

Webcam Enabled, Audio Enabled, SD Card Enabled, Lan Disabled, WIFI Enabled, DHCP Enabled, Themes Enabled.

14.81 seconds:

Webcam Disabled, Audio Enabled, SD Card Enabled, Lan Disabled, WIFI Enabled, DHCP Enabled, Themes Disabled.

12.30 seconds:

Webcam Disabled, Audio Disabled, SD Card Enabled, Lan Disabled, WIFI Enabled, DHCP Enabled, Themes Disabled.

11.xx seconds:

Webcam Disabled, Audio Disabled, SD Card Disabled, Lan Disabled, WIFI Enabled, DHCP Disabled, Themes Disabled.