qasim

Can only connect to DVR from LAN and not WAN

Hi,

I have ripped my hair out trying to resolve the problem where I can only connect to my DVR over my LAN connection and not over the WAN. I hope someone here can assist me.

The DVR comes with client software to be installed on your pc so you can view your DVR remotely.

I have done the following:

Router: Belkin F5D7633

DVR: JPEG2000 NT460A

The DVR requires me to port forward port 60000 which I have done on my belkin router. I have checked that my DVR is getting an IP address from my router which is

IP Address: 192.168.2.3

Default gateway: 192.168.2.1

Mask: 255.255.25.0

This I can see the DVR in my router DHCP list. DHCP is enabled. I have then registered the DVR at www dot j2kdvr dot com as advised in the documentation as I have a dynamic IP address.

Once registered there, I have inserted the DDNS server IP address into the DVR. The DVR now can pick up the WAN ip address.

When the client software is opened up and registered with my DVR, then the WAN ip address comes available. When I connect it comes back connection failed. If I use my LAN ip of 192.168.2.3 the connection works fine.

Here is the manual to setup the DVR is at www dot j2kdvr dot com under th FAQ link

I hope someone can help resolve this issue.

Thanks

first you should set your dvr to static ip. then for the DDNS thing please set it up on your router and not on the DVR. if your port forwarding is correct then i think you can see it from the internet. also check the gateway setting and port setting on the dvr.

ive just now tried connecting on to the DVR from another ISP, and guess what..... for some odd reason it works. I can't connect from my own PC which is connected to AOL, but if I try from BT ISP it works fine. Is that meant to be normal?

I've just now tried connecting on to the DVR from another ISP, and guess what..... for some odd reason it works. I can't connect from my own PC which is connected to AOL, but if I try from BT ISP it works fine. Is that meant to be normal?
Ohhhh The Jpeg2000 days.

I got a walk through I helped make with Argus that I'll upload and provide you with a link to which should help you greatly. Checkout www.j2ksupport.com sometime also as it's got all the information on those units as well.

Below is the zip file of the two walk through I have for that unit tho.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jncc9o2rkaz

Also here's a link to the port forwarding setup as well (tho I'm sure you know what you're doing). http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7633-4/eMule.htm

If you can enable remote admin I'd be happy to login to the router and set it up then tell you what to program into the dvr.

Thanks,

John

Thanks for your reply Smit9352. I have gone through your pdf files to setup remote viewing, and still I am facing the same problem.

If you could remote manage my router, that would be nice. send me an email at qasim @ talktalk . net and I will pass on my details for my router.

My dvr port is 60000

LAN Ip of dvr is 192.168.2.4

I've used those units before, and I've always had trouble when I left it at the default port 60000. I change it to 6000 it works fine. just a thought

thanks Sir Fannel, i tried port 6000 on the dvr and opened it on my router.

Still can only view over the LAN!

ummmm.....

Why don't you put the DVR's IP in the DMZ and see if it works.

If it works in DMZ then it's definitly a setting issue on the router, if it dosen't then you may ports blocked by your ISP.

The company which makes the dvr is JPEG2000,

I have uploaded the manual for your information.

Ive just tried putting the DVR into DMZ and still facing the same problem.

The thing which is most confusing is that when I connect remotely from my brothers home (who is on a different ISP) the connection works fine. When I try from my home on my ISP on which the DVR is on, the connection fails, unless I use the LAN ip.

forgot to mention you can download the manual at:

www . qasim . talktalk . net / JPEG2000_DVR.pdf

Please remove the spaces

yeah both pc and dvr are off the same router, thats wht i can get in over the LAN.

The company which makes the dvr is JPEG2000,

I have uploaded the manual for your information.

Ive just tried putting the DVR into DMZ and still facing the same problem.

The thing which is most confusing is that when I connect remotely from my brothers home (who is on a different ISP) the connection works fine. When I try from my home on my ISP on which the DVR is on, the connection fails, unless I use the LAN ip.

This is confussing.

Are you using the same cpu in both places?

Do you have any other ports forwarded on the router for other devices?

How are you trying to connect (ip address : port no.) or dns server?

I'm realy lost at this point.

I actually installed one like this from Eyemax with no problems on the remote side from inside or outside.

I normaly use ports in the 9000 range to avoid any conflicts because not many if any devices use these ports by default and IP Addresses in the 50 range which I know customers with small networks will not have many devices to reach that IP.

I also setup there routers to hand out dhcp addresses above 100.

If you want I can try and provide some remote assistance.

Not sure if it will help any.

Dose your router have VPN capabilities?

This is confussing.

Are you using the same cpu in both places?

Do you have any other ports forwarded on the router for other devices?

How are you trying to connect (ip address : port no.) or dns server?

I'm realy lost at this point.

I actually installed one like this from Eyemax with no problems on the remote side from inside or outside.

I normaly use ports in the 9000 range to avoid any conflicts because not many if any devices use these ports by default and IP Addresses in the 50 range which I know customers with small networks will not have many devices to reach that IP.

I also setup there routers to hand out dhcp addresses above 100.

If you want I can try and provide some remote assistance.

Not sure if it will help any.

Dose your router have VPN capabilities?

The router has no VPN capabilities

The only other portforwarding I have setup is for my remote desktop connection.

The way I connect is, that I have a client on my laptop, this client picks up the WAN of the router by using DDNS as I have a dynamic IP. then all i do is connect via this client.

Ive taken this same laptop to my brothers home and tried there and it works fine using the WAN ip.

Then when I try at my home it doesnt work unless I use the LAN ip.

The port im using is 6500 now, and the ive assigned a static ip to the DVR of 192.168.2.14

Smit9352 is kindly trying to remotely have a look at my router setup. Hopefuly we get somewere!

If the setup works from your brothers house I would guess you are set up correctly. Maybe there is some port blocking going on? I would try using port 80 for testing purposes.

I had a similar problem recently. I couldn't browse to my external ip address from my ip address. Not sure if it's an ISP (that happened on DSL, I just did my web server on cable and it works fine) or a router issue (2wire router). But, if you can access it from a remote sight going through the ip, but not locally going through the outside ip...?

Thankyou all for your help with this matter.

Ive exhausted all options apart from one which is to try the connection with another router (instead of the belkin). At the moment im happy enough with the remote viewing working from another location outside my own LAN. I dont want the headache of setting up another router, and then messing the settings up on my belkin.

Thanks to Smit9352 who checked my router settings, and everyone else for there input.

Thanks.

When you connect with your DVR software via your LAN, using DOS type netstat -n and you will see what ports are in use from your PC to remote hosts, you will need to look under the section for foreign address find the IP address of your DVR i.e. 192.168.1.10:80 will show that the software is connecting to the dvr using port 80

As a rule if you are connecting via the same router you should use the LAN IP address and when off site use your routers ISP WAN IP address or domain name!!

Thankyou all for your help with this matter.

Thanks to Smit9352 who checked my router settings, and everyone else for there input.

Thanks.

You're welcome qasim I really tried to setup the router and figure out why you cannot connect internally but I'm rather uncertain. It's now setup tho to where you can connect externally which I think is a little harder than internal but uhm.... that's weird truthfully.

Good luck and if you need anything else from me pm me!

If anyone wants more info on the dvr goto www.j2ksupport.com .

Thanks,

John

When you connect with your DVR software via your LAN, using DOS type netstat -n and you will see what ports are in use from your PC to remote hosts, you will need to look under the section for foreign address find the IP address of your DVR i.e. 192.168.1.10:80 will show that the software is connecting to the dvr using port 80

As a rule if you are connecting via the same router you should use the LAN IP address and when off site use your routers ISP WAN IP address or domain name!!

I think you got it. I was reading this and there is an Addy outside the router and a different addy inside with a port #.

I was having similar problems with the bt homehub. the only way i could connect remotley was to set the dvr up on port 80 and set port forwarding up to the same port. it worked first time. hope this helps