jevs

What is the best way to mount cameras on my house? (see pic)

I have been racking my brain on the best way to mount cameras on the new house we are building. Right now the whole house is bricked and all the soffit and facia are installed. The soffit is aluminum. The inside is unfinished still. We are wiring, plumbing etc still. I will probobly just go with some IR bullet cams for now with varifocal lens to compensate for my lack of CCTV experience (ebay no name cams most likely).

I was also wanting to run them off cat 5 with baluns and power over the cat 5. This way I can always upgrade to IP cams if I wanted later. See any problem with this?

I cannot decide how to mount them and prewire for them. What is a good clean way to mount them where the Baluns and stuff can look clean? The cameras I have been looking at do not seem to have ceiling mounts either (only wall). I would like to stay away from drilling in the brick if possible.

Is aluminum soffit strong enough to mount a camera too anyway if I did get a ceiling mount or make one? Would the wind blow them around flexing the aluminum? How would you hide the wiring and baluns?

The only thing I have seen in real life was on a brick restaraunt. They had some grey exterior boxes mounted to the brick and the camera was mounted to the lid. It's not the greatest looking, but ti did give a box that would hold the baluns and connectors. The bad thing is your locked to that location because of all the holes in the brick. If you do it in the soffit, you can always get a new piece of soffit and replace it easy.

I can't find any good ideas on the net.

Any tips are much appreciated, pics are even better.

Thanks.

IMG_1288.thumb.jpg.d14e316c1a7522a6ad8b2d418ecc588c.jpg

Since you have the ability to cable with no issues, I would install 1 Siamese and 1 or 2 Cat 6's for each location you intend to install a camera.

I had to cable my home externally using conduit.

Siamese Cable in case the budget can't fit IP cam's now or just the fact that there isn't any IP cam's decent enough for exterior applications to install on this house.

In the future when the technology advances you will hopefully be prepared.

Right now I will just go with surface dome's matched to your environment, which will look really nice.

Tried to post some pics but got some sort of ftp error.

No Light.

I have to agree with coolie11, Better spend the money now and run cat6 & Siamese, The money you spend now on cable will pay for itself 10 fold if you have to cable your home later As for running the power over cat5, I have done it but you do every now and then see some kind of minimum interference.

run CAT5 and skip the RG. based on the size of your house you should be able to afford the megapixel's.which kick butt. go with POE IP camera's and your all set.

RG will get you over if your are stuck on in stalling cheap first. why toss good money away............install the good stuff now.

also take a look at the intercomms with video via CAT5........worth the money spent.........back it up with a decent DVR like the Avermedia 6000ePro

and while your at it, take a look at this baby. I installed a few of these and they kick butt when it come to a "HD" house layout.

http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/AVX-661-NR/Commercial_Cat_5/5/1

and, if you have a gate, run some CAT5 direct bury for the camera at the gate.....use solar if it is too far away.

see ya.........

At $550 + each for exterior IP cams I can't really justify the expense right now. I am looking at cameras for around $150 each and a decent stand alone DVR for networking etc. I am already spending too much with the home automation, whole house audio, full power blinds, whole house point to point intercoms, Geothermal HVAC & Zoning, LED lighting etc. I figured if I ran the cameras off Cat 5 or Cat 6 I could always go to IP cameras later if the price gets more reasonable and they come out with more options for recording etc. I really don't want to use a computer. I hate dealing with computer issues and windows instability.

My main concern is how to neatly mount the cameras, I could do dome cameras, but I have not found any that are 540 TV lines, Varifocal lens, IR, & rated for outdoor for the price of a bullet camera. If you know of any for around $160 or less, let me know. I also heard Dome cameras aren't as good if the IR is built in as the the bullet cams?

So, how do you mount bullet cams on a house like mine? Keep in mind they will have baluns at the ends to deal with if using cat 5 or cat 6. So far the only idea I have found on the net is mounting a box on the brick and then mounting the camera to the lid. If this is my only option I can do it, but I would rather mount to the underside of the soffit somehow to stay away from drilling the brick, in case I want to move the cameras later or something.

If you're going to spend $150. on Camera's and use Balun's to transmit the video why even bother installing anything unless I'ts just for someone to know you have camera's

Other than that you seem to have the idea of what needs to be done.

So, using baluns and cat 5 doesn't work? $150 cameras don't work? I guess I need more info on that.... I have not done a security system before now.

Reguardless of those questions, I still need to know the best way to mount a camera under my soffit. Even if I buy a $10,000 camera I still have the original question of how to mount it nicely when the soffit is aluminum.

I had originally started looking at the panasonic IP cameras, but when the total would be like $6000 just for cameras, I just can't spend that much. And then recording them seemed to be an issue using a stand alone DVR ( I was looking at Speco stuff at the time). I am not rich and the only way I am affording this house is that I am building it myself and just hiring people on the side to help me. With all of the extras I am doing already, it is pushing the budget way out there. heck I spent $4000 on LED can lights already! That one thing is 1/3 the price of the cost to build report that had $13,000 for the total electrical job HVAC is $22,000 over budget as well, with the Geothermal stuff. I could go on and on, but to make a long story short the chances are these cameras will be more of a novelty for me to look at online than actually saving anything since the rest of the security is crazy. I think I have 60+ security zone things going on with all the motion sensors, window and door switches, glass breakage sensors etc. 7 of those being exterior motion detectors. The house is also in the country in an area with hardly any crime happening. I could probobly scrap everything and get by with one fake camera on the corner of the house LOL. There are much easier targets in the neighborhood. I am just building my "dream home" and want all the cool stuff in before the drywall goes up. My idea was to have the Cat 5 there, so I could upgrade later when the money isn't so tight, or maybe I will be perfectly happy with analog cameras. Baluns on Cat 5 sounded good. All of that said, I do still want the cameras to perform decent. With my lack of first hand usage of camera's, I can only go off specs and such to make my evaluations. So, any advice is appreciated. I just have to keep my spending realistic.

Use the cat5e or cat 6 with baluns and make your runs in the attic to the eaves, use vandal proof IP67 rated minidomes to mount under the eaves and use external IR if you think you need them. You will have to have opening under the domes into the eaves to run your cable to the baluns but this should all be internal to the attic and not allow any visible showing of the cable or baluns. My company carries a very good minidome for this type of application, but you would have to find a dealer in your area that carries them. I think there should be some of the members on here who have some ideas on the type that would be best for your usage and am sure they will chime in with recommendation's. This should allow you to upgrade at a future date to IP cams if you require them, I do think you will have to raise your camera price to around 200 dollars per camera though to get a good minidome that will do the job and also give the best shots. Hope this helps,

How do these mini domes attach? I would guess you just cut a hole and then they mount like a ceiling speaker or something with slide out tabs or something? Will the aluminum support this, or would I need some other fastener in the hole up to a truss tail or something?

If I had seperate IR, can I still power that off the one Cat 5 or 6, or would it need it's own seperate home run? I did see domes with built in IR....

Would something like this work or is it crappy? It looks like it wouldn't flush mount nicely with those screw tabs hanging off the side. it looks like the mount is for wall mounting. It does have built in IR though and the specs sound good.

I can't post a link yet, but the item # on ebay is 180231865917.

I would run the wires now and save your money and do it right later on.

$150.00 dome cameras are going to be useless.

Mounting the cameras is easy. Drill 3/4 or 7/8 inch hole though the aluminum install a wire grommet. The dome cameras will be surface mounted so you need to find a some meat behind the aluminum. Mount the camera so it covers the wire hole and screw it into the wood.

What are you using for house audio and automation?

How do these mini domes attach? I would guess you just cut a hole and then they mount like a ceiling speaker or something with slide out tabs or something? Will the aluminum support this, or would I need some other fastener in the hole up to a truss tail or something?

If I had seperate IR, can I still power that off the one Cat 5 or 6, or would it need it's own seperate home run? I did see domes with built in IR....

Would something like this work or is it crappy? It looks like it wouldn't flush mount nicely with those screw tabs hanging off the side. it looks like the mount is for wall mounting. It does have built in IR though and the specs sound good.

I can't post a link yet, but the item # on ebay is 180231865917.

That camera is junk sorry save your money.

You are on the right track, and are a decent percentage of my customer base. You can get worthwhile cameras and baluns for $150 but you should really consider different applications require different functionality. You can do this for less $ then you might think but it should be well thought out.

I further would not suggets a budget embedded unit, my systems fully integrate into your larger control systems and thats just not possible with most single use DVRs.

I am using Xantech for the audio and an HAI Omnipro II for the base of the automation.

As for the DVR I was looking at the Speco 16 Channel DVR-16TT/750. But at 3017.33 wholesale I think I am going to at least research some other options. I won't go any less than 16 channel, or 480 frames per second, etc. I don't want to skimp on the DVR unless I find something equal or better for less money.

I guess if those cameras on ebay are junk then I need to find something else. Any suggestions in that price range? I can buy wholesale, but the people I normally buy from just carry Speco, Hawk, Panasonic IP's and some GE stuff. If need be I can get an account elsewhere.

I think I am going to need 10 cameras outside for optimum coverage of everything, the house is pretty cut up shaped. I want to be able to log on anywhere and see pretty much everything around the house, including out in the yards. The quantity of cameras is what is keeping me from getting too expensive with them.

I am using Xantech for the audio and an HAI Omnipro II for the base of the automation.

As for the DVR I was looking at the Speco 16 Channel DVR-16TT/750. But at 3017.33 wholesale I think I am going to at least research some other options. I won't go any less than 16 channel, or 480 frames per second, etc. I don't want to skimp on the DVR unless I find something equal or better for less money.

I guess if those cameras on ebay are junk then I need to find something else. Any suggestions in that price range? I can buy wholesale, but the people I normally buy from just carry Speco, Hawk, Panasonic IP's and some GE stuff. If need be I can get an account elsewhere.

I think I am going to need 10 cameras outside for optimum coverage of everything, the house is pretty cut up shaped. I want to be able to log on anywhere and see pretty much everything around the house, including out in the yards. The quantity of cameras is what is keeping me from getting too expensive with them.

You buy from a place that starts with a W. Do you own a audio video or security company?

I would run the wires now and save your money and do it right later on.

I agree, Run both cat5 or 6 and the Siamese what are you going to spend 200 bucks on wire come on, Save your money and get good quality cameras, I spend my time replacing cr@p people by off ebay or other stores....

Correct me if i am wrong you are spending a couple of grand on audio components but want to by cheap cameras from ebay to keep you personal items and the family safe...

So your going to spend more on your audio components then you do on you and your familie's safety.....????? Please forgive my arrogance but that makes no sense to me...

I am just getting into this market. I already have a business license setup and dabble as a builder/landlord on the side. I am setup with a couple companies and yes "W" is one of them I am using my own home to learn on and we will see where it goes from there, that is why

I am decking it out with just about everything I can think of. By day I am a Manufacturing Engineer, but my degree is in electrical engineering. I think the market is pretty untapped around here, so there is some potential. I don't know anyone with any kind of automation around here. The builders, contractors, and electricians I know really aren't doing anything with it either. By the end of this current project I should have a pretty good idea of what it takes to do most of it.

To Rebco. I doubt cameras will make your family safe. It might just catch them in the act so you can view it later. The rest of the security system will handle the safety part more effectivly (which I am going overboard on). Seeing cameras is just a deterent, so really even fake ones would do the same job for that. I am leaving myself room for upgrades and just getting something decent going for now.

FYI, I bought 10 cameras I will be using. They are basically the same as the Hawk-I HAWK-365VIRCDW, but with slightly better specs (540TVL versus 500, of course same pixels, so who knows if it is true). They went on sale for 138 each this weekend.

Now I just need to figure out the power supply, cabling, and DVR to use.

I have pretty much decided running the power over the Cat 5 is too risky, so I may run Cat 5 with baluns and seperate 16-2 for power, or Cat 5 and Siamese RG6 w 18-2, and just have the Cat 5 for later IP's. Any more advice is appreciated.

I agree with many here, spend the bucks for good quality cameras, you in the long term will not regret it.

You have not cheeped out on audio and more than likely video electronic toys, do the same for your security cameras and set up.

BlindBleu

I doubt cameras will make your family safe

Noting makes your family safe unless you put them in a castle with a moat even then someone will still find a way in.

so really even fake ones would do the same job for that

Tell that to someone that had there car broken into in there driveway and nothing to show police, Or god forbid someone gets assaulted near your house and the police see cameras up and ask to see the video.

FYI, I bought 10 cameras I will be using. They are basically the same as the Hawk-I HAWK-365VIRCDW
Those are decent cameras but the IR takes detail away from the face & body. I don't think i've had a job that i have only used one camera model for every view. Unless it's indoors. In this business there isn't a kit you can buy to give you the best picture needed, I wish there was.

I doubt cameras will make your family safe. It might just catch them in the act so you can view it later. The rest of the security system will handle the safety part more effectivly (which I am going overboard on). Seeing cameras is just a deterent, so really even fake ones would do the same job for that.

My friend you have made a contradition. If a fake camera is a deterent, then there would be no need to view it later.

You can use fake cameras to channel the bad guy into a chokepoint with better video, but this setup is best used in retail theft in a known market with known trends.

I would never use fake cameras in my personal setup. You will want video, and good video for the police, in the event that something occurs. I'm saying this from personal experience.

One suggestion that I didn't see mentioned yet by a certain member: place a camera on your utilities hookup outside.

They have to go through a minimum of 2 camera field of views to get to the utilities hookup and I believe they will both be catching the actual CT transformer box on the side of their views. Due to the fact that pulling the meter would do nothing on my setup (other than Pi$$ off the electric company since it would stop reading my usage), they would probobly get shocked even trying to mess with it. There is no way to disable the power without actually cutting two live power feeds (this power system has two parallel feeds from the pole), and they are not small on a 600 amp service. I do believe the security would alarm if it sensed a power cut, and everything will be battery backed up. Also, keep in mind the crime rate is not that bad. I feel pretty safe with 10 cams and 7 motions sensors on the outside alone.

Annual Stats for the entire county:

Murders: 4

Rapes: 3

Robberies: 2

Assaults: 42

Burglaries: 152

Thefts: 560

Auto thefts: 50

Anyway, I have figured out the intial question I was asking on this post. Please take a look at my DVR question post, as this is the last piece I need to figure out now.

Thanks

Not Country crime stats. County crime stats.

Ahh yes .. didnt catch that thanks .. still .. thats low compared to here. Wonder what their population is.