C7 in CA

Firewall penetrators

Scorpion mentioned unique firestop products in another thread and I didn't want to completely change the subject so I started a new thread...

I use their products all the time. But once in awhile I use 3M because that is what the local supplier carries.

I frequently find firewall violations with low voltage cabling. I try to correct the problems I find when I can convey the danger to the client. Sometimes they don't want to pay so I can't help. I have used unique firestop's split sleeve in the past. It works great at correcting violations. They even show it on the front page of their website: http://www.uniquefirestop.com/

I did this install not too long ago. They are renters and wouldn't foot the bill to rework this violation. So I just sleeved my cables. I had to take a picture because I laugh everytime I see that fire alarm cable stuffed through that breach.

80341_1.jpg

Can I steal that picture??

I would like to use that as it has both right, and wrong!!

No problem! I'm sorry I don't have a wider shot. There is actually a sign-off label attached below the penetrator. I'll see if I have a better picture...

Here's the other side of that wall. Shows a complete install but can't hardly see the bad part.

These aren't unique's firestops btw.

80353_1.jpg

Not too special. That 5/8" Type X is common around here. It's rated for an hour. The drywall slows the fire pretty well. It's the fire getting into the walls through improper firewall penetrations that spreads the fire.

Figured it just being like paper/cardboard it would light right up?

So many codes in the US yet so much is drywall .. we got mostly brick walls here, inside and out (but very little codes at least non enforced)

Takes about 1 hour for the fire trucks to get here also ... they gotta go find some water first .. if they cant get any from the couple pumps they have located miles apart on the island ,then they goto the ocean and pump salt water all over the property >..

It's mostly gypsum with some glass fibers in it. The paper only covers the gypsum. I don't know if the paper is treated?

we got mostly brick walls here, inside and out

Ye I see that when i go to europe when there is a fire the homes walls stay up just replace the roof rafters and home is ok again, But here we loose everything we call it matchstick homes even 5 or 6 story condo units. Just wood..

we got mostly brick walls here, inside and out

Ye I see that when i go to europe when there is a fire the homes walls stay up just replace the roof rafters and home is ok again, But here we loose everything we call it matchstick homes even 5 or 6 story condo units. Just wood..

Well we still got plenty of those too, what with the Shanty towns and such .. actually most of the old style island homes are still wooden. Look perty but would probably go up in flames in no time and hurricanes love them. Most newer homes and not those island style ones, are built with brick though.

That "Type X" drywall board is also used in many Gun Safes, to meet the 2-hour fire rating, amongst other uses. My own home has 2 layers between the garage and a spare bedroom.

Now that you mention it I do remember that I have seen that stuff doubled up for a two hour rating. Exactly as you describe too. 2 layers between garage and living area.

Do they require residential fire sprinklers over there where you are? Sonoma County requires residential fire sprinklers which is a great life safety improvement but makes it scary to work in the attics.

There's nothing like PVC water pipe hidden in blown insulation to keep you on your toes!

Interesting product... I see a lot of big telecom rooms in major buildings where I am at that the firestopping has been broken out and cables pushed in. I suspect the companies IT staff did this as any respectable contractor wouldn't (at least ones that would do work in these types of places).