Chengo

AVTECH AVC760 email notification

Hi there,

I bought Avtech AVC760 DVR that can send alerts with images to the designated email and FTP address.

Problem is that FTP upload is working great but setting up the email notification is way too complicated for me.

I've tried everything but still no luck.

Anybody got this function working?

Thanks in advance.

Chengo

I tried smtp server from my ISP but this does not require username or password. Then I tried my mail service provider smtp and still no luck.

DVR is behing Linksys WRT54GS router.

Any ideas?

I tried smtp server from my ISP but this does not require username or password. Then I tried my mail service provider smtp and still no luck.

Any ideas?

what email are you using?

can you use the email using microsoft outlook?

you need to put the username and password of your email on the fields provided. and put the smtp server. if there is no authentication required you need to uncheck the checkbox.

Any ideas?

Hi,

The chances are.. you are having the same problem as I had. I tried using my smtp server which in my case is... mail.btinternet.com. However, this didn't work so instead of using that, I 'resolved' 'mail.btinternet.com' to '217.146.188.192' instead. I then put this in the 'server' fill-in box.

Try googling your required IP address by entering your smtp server and then the words 'DNS resolve'. You will likely find it easy enough.

Mine works fine now.

My ISP smtp server is smtp.irishbroadband.ie which resolved gives me

I entered that into server field but still no luck. What is the Mail from: field for? In the manual it says that full e-mail address has to be entered so smtp server wouldn't block outgoing mails. What if there is no username and password for smtp server?

Another thought: Could it be that my Linksys WRT54GS router is blocking the traffic? I have port 25 opened but now I think that maybe there is something I still missed.

My ISP smtp server is smtp.irishbroadband.ie which resolved gives me

I entered that into server field but still no luck. What is the Mail from: field for? In the manual it says that full e-mail address has to be entered so smtp server wouldn't block outgoing mails. What if there is no username and password for smtp server?

Another thought: Could it be that my Linksys WRT54GS router is blocking the traffic? I have port 25 opened but now I think that maybe there is something I still missed.

I'm not sure that the 'mail from' field is important to be honest. However, the 'Verify Password' section is, so make sure you fill that part in. I don't think you've missed anything else.

Your username in your case (for Irishbroadband) is your full e-mail address btw.

Now, I've called my ISP ta confirm that they do not block any ports however their smtp doesn't require authentication. I set up a different smtp account with GMail which according to them should allow me to send e-mails from any network. I have GMail working on my MS Outlook but still DVR is not sending any e-mails.

Getting very frustrated here:))

Is there anyone who could help me to get this thing sorted? Any phone number/ company is could ring?

Delivery Status Notification (Failure)‏

Sent: Tue 5/27/08 12:35 PM

To: (scorpion)@hotmail.com

Security scan upon download

details00...txt (0.4 KB),

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. (chengo)@gmail.com

--Forwarded Message Attachment--

To: (chengo)@gmail.com

Subject: Email notifiction No text. Test email

Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:29:13 -0400

Can you PM me your email?

Just spent 1,5 hours talking to Swann Communications tech support. Unfortunately they could not help me. We just tried everything again and again but alas, no expected result.

I've never used this feature but I assume you have the alarm trigger enabled as email?

Did you look in the server log to see if the email attempt is failing?

You may want to try installing a protocol analyzer (such as the free Wireshark) on a PC on the LAN and see what data appears. I think the handshake is in text so it should be possible to determine what the error is.

Now, I've called my ISP ta confirm that they do not block any ports however their smtp doesn't require authentication. I set up a different smtp account with GMail which according to them should allow me to send e-mails from any network. I have GMail working on my MS Outlook but still DVR is not sending any e-mails.

Getting very frustrated here:))

Last I checked Gmail required authentication. At the least it uses different ports (SSL).

If you use your ISP's SMTP server that should get around any Port 25 blocking.

Try to telnet to the SMTP server you are using, the ISP's SMTP server.

Telnet SMTP.myisp.com 25

If it comes back with a response then should be working ok.

Avtech might not have support for your ISP's SMTP server though, as they can differ from one to the next and it depends on the clients being written properly to handle them all (client being the DVR software in this case).

So what you are saying the DVR might not be able to send email notifications through my ISP smtp server at all?

If MS Outlook works with the standard ports on your ISP then the DVR should work also.

The client has to be written to handle commands with the various types of SMTP servers, if its not then it wont work with all of them. Im not saying that is what is going on here, but it is possible. I recall a few threads like this about AvTech DVRs BTW.

Try this from your PC on the same router

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/uploads/smtpTest.exe

Its a basic client, if it works then the AvTech should work.

If not then like this program I wrote a long time ago, the DVR's email client might not be handling the commands properly.

I tried to run smtpTest.exe and this is the error message I got:

Run-time error '339':

Component 'RICHT32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Don't really know what it means.

I tried to run smtpTest.exe and this is the error message I got:

Run-time error '339':

Component 'RICHT32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Don't really know what it means.

Downloaded zip file of smtpTest, run and got message:

501 Admin: sender address must contain a domain

Ok just to verify, the Email field was an email address such as me@that.com. Message contained some text and the server was your SMTP server like SMTP.myisp.com