vse

Cat5 w/ punchdown blocks

Have a large building where NVR is in basement, and 3 floors up is an attic, where I'll have 7 megapixel cams. Can I run 7 cables via conduit to the attic to a punchdown block. From that point I'll run individual cables to the cams in a star topology. If each camera run connects to the punchdown block, this should work better than running single camera runs all the way to the basement, right?

Alternative suggestions?

I would put the punch block at the NVR side.

Put your cameras in, run the CAT cable through conduit down to the punch block. Punch them in, and then run patch cords to the switch. Patch your NVR into the switch and you are set.

This would be the best way of doing it. You always want the network switch or "head end" in this case, connected via patch cord to punch block. This ensures if you have to make a cabling change in the machine room you just move patch cords around or buy longer or shorter ones. The cameras will be static in that they will probably never be moved around.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. I'll leave the above info there, but expand a bit.

I take it you want to run just one cable down to the NVR from the attic. If that is the case you will need to answer the following questions:

Is there commercial power in the attic?

Is this attic climate controlled (HVAC regulated environment)?

I suspect you are thinking you want to add a device to split one connection into multiple connections. Is this correct? If so you need an active device such as a network switch located up in the attic area to "split" the single network connection you will bring up from the NVR.

If I was going to run it that way I would use fiber for the trunk because your using megapixel cameras. Why do you want to do it this way? Are you having distance problems? If not I would run everything home. In the long run homeruns just make everything easier. If you can get one wire there you can get seven.

Thank you for your replies... after I posted, I realized I was using a midspan so it would require 7 separate cable runs to the individual cams. I had been hoping that I could cut to length 7 cables that would run from the switch in the basement to a punchdown block located at my entrance to the attic. From there, I would cut and run the varying lengths of cable to the cams. Seems it would be neater, and easier. As an inexperienced installer, I didn't think I would have a continuity or reliability issue by using a punchdown block. It would appear that I do.

Thank you for your replies... after I posted, I realized I was using a midspan so it would require 7 separate cable runs to the individual cams. I had been hoping that I could cut to length 7 cables that would run from the switch in the basement to a punchdown block located at my entrance to the attic. From there, I would cut and run the varying lengths of cable to the cams. Seems it would be neater, and easier. As an inexperienced installer, I didn't think I would have a continuity or reliability issue by using a punchdown block. It would appear that I do.

Easiest way to run wire is pull the whole run in one shot and in your case use 7 boxes of wire. Think about ho much extra labor will be involved in the punchdown or patch panel

Good point about the labor aspect... while we're at it... could you possibly advise me as to what my basic tool set should be for both Cat5 and RG59 installs. Snaking tools, crimpers, etc. That would be great, if you have the time.

Good point about the labor aspect... while we're at it... could you possibly advise me as to what my basic tool set should be for both Cat5 and RG59 installs. Snaking tools, crimpers, etc. That would be great, if you have the time.

I would think this would depend on that phase of construction the building is in. If it's finished you've got a heck of a time in front of you. If not, cat5e runs I like to use right angle drills, fish tape, 110 punchdown tool, crimper with sharp blades and good RJ-45 ends, flexibits, LV boxes, conduit. For RG59 I'd stick with SNS connectors (or BNC), a couple of long fish tapes (150ft), a good labeler for you cable management. That's what comes to mind for me anyway.

I'm with thewireguys, if you want bad@ss run fiber to the top floor and put a switch to brand out your 7 cams. Otherwise just homerun the suckers if you are under 330'.

keep a length of 1/2 pvc condit to use to push pull wires. Cheap flexible and when you leave it in a ceiling some olace you are only out a couple of bucks.

Plus being plastic you don,t have to worry about shorting out something.