scorpion

10 Commandments of Proper Cable Termination

8. IF POWER TO A DEVICE IS REMOVED AND ITS OUTPUT GOES DEAD, THAT OUTPUT SHALL BE TREATED AS A BRAND NEW VIDEO SOURCE.

What do they mean by that?

Yes, the blackness on your monitor that just popped up is now a new video source.

You got me??

I do not think it would change the settings of any equipment on a loop through circuit!

Why would you remove power from a device other than product failure, or temp maintentance?

Ah, gotcha.

But when I lose a video source I get video loss splash screens. Is it recording a black screen at 30fps (or whatever setting are in place) or do DVR's typically disable that channel?

The AVTech does not record the dead channels with motion detection.

With motion detection it is only recording what is active.

I do not record 24/7, so I have never paid much attention to whether it would record at 30 fps of dead channels that are checked to be on, or not. Good question though.

It would only pay attention to the channels that are checked to be on, and it would ignore the other channels that are unchecked.

When I am testing DVRs before they go out to the customer you can see the playback of a quad with just one camera in view, then you will see another view pop on, and so forth until you see all cams in view.

Then you get to watch me flap my arms like a bird trying to activate the motion detection. So that I know which sequence of "footage" that I am dealing with I have to do a different action each time. I will have my arms straight out, then I will have my elbows bent to my Rolling Stones Impression of a chicken, then it will be just a hand flutter.

I learned along time ago to erase the hard drive prior to customers getting the DVRs as I would be embarrassed when they would see my motion detection tests!!!

As the airline say "Want to go somewhere"?

The thought of you in my head running around like a bird conjures up all sorts of images.....

I hope your wife knows about your animal impressions

Have you tried the crawling around on all fours to create motion detection by Cat ?

AL

Edited by Guest

I cannot run around as I would go off screen! I'll admit to flappin like a chicken, but not to running around like a chicken!!

LOL!

P.S. Can we just keep this from my wife??

Darn, how did you know I sent the video... must have been the size of the files, absolutely beautiful today. Sunshine and warm temps, How's Florida?

Is this one of those entries where you post please return to the top of the page and reread?

So, don't most compression formats register & record the initial image & then achive compression by recrding only when that image changes? I thought I understood that that was the way it worked (correct me if I'm wrong). If that is the case it seems the memory involved in recording that blank picture would be pretty small

So, don't most compression formats register & record the initial image & then achive compression by recrding only when that image changes?

Good Question.

When I am recording continuous I can watch the hard drive space dwindle even while there is no motion detected by the DVR. So I hope it is recording whole new images. That's my whole point of recording continuous. I am trying to catch stuff that the DVR may not detect as motion.

So, don't most compression formats register & record the initial image & then achive compression by recrding only when that image changes? I thought I understood that that was the way it worked (correct me if I'm wrong). If that is the case it seems the memory involved in recording that blank picture would be pretty small

Yes and no. MPEG-2/4 and related codecs will all record that way. MJPEG based codecs do not. Which makes it sound like MPEG type codecs will produce smaller file sizes, right?

Sometimes. At low frame rates the number keyframes as a percentage of the total stream is going to be higher. Keyframes for MPEG based codecs are almost always larger then the same quality MJPEG frame. And MJPEG handles gray in a much, much better fashion. So low framerate combined with nighttime can create situations in MPEG related codecs suck. Gee, I wonder where one might find those situations in CCTV?

#8 is more of a analog, broadcast video thing (TV/ CATV).

That source stops producing video but since the cable is plugged in, it changes the termination. In a station's master control, this changes the "sync" enough to cause a big tear or roll when changing video sources.