crime terminator

CCTV Operator Training Material needed

Hi There

Can anyone guide me as to where i can source training material for operators of CCTV systems. I am looking for material covering: Roles & Resonsibilites, Surveillance Techniques, Best Practices, Control room configurations etc. The learners to be trained are new to the CCTV control room environement and are currently not monitoring to the required standard and missing threats / suspicious persons / vehicles, therefore the training. I have searched the net looknig for e-books on the subject but there is not much that covers the basics and then some more advance surveillance techniques. Although the training is for Operators in South Africa, there are sections such as those listed above that are standard to the industry, The monitoring laws and other information sharing legislation can be sourced here.

I can not post sites yet until I reach 5 post I have two site that might work for you. PM me and I will see if I can get you the links.

I've actually been trying to get people together to form a real live industry association for CCTV professionals. This association would have two purposes. To provide training for CCTV Installers and Operators. And to provide some sort of certification/review function.

My experience has been that this industry is full of really dodgy people. Some of the worst setups I have ever seen have been done by people with years of experience. I think that the North American industry needs some sort of central body to administer training and certification.

Any thoughts/ideas?

My experience has been that this industry is full of really dodgy people. Some of the worst setups I have ever seen have been done by people with years of experience.

Sound more like the customer would not spend any money, and wanted it done on the cheap.

It could also be that the customer could be such a jerk, that the installer just decided to finish the job asap, and get out of there!

Sounds like you have too much competition, and everyone is underbidding everyone else.

I've actually been trying to get people together to form a real live industry association for CCTV professionals. This association would have two purposes. To provide training for CCTV Installers and Operators. And to provide some sort of certification/review function

Build a website (there are some that are free), and make it free, and simple. When it becomes the defacto standard then charge for testing, and charge for joining the association, and then write a book on your expertise, and sit back and relax!

You can approach the CCTV companies about providing your training to their customers?

My experience has been that this industry is full of really dodgy people
Welcome to the new bubble. You are right everyone is doing it, from locksmiths to computer repair people, even your next door neighbors kid, But it's all about the installer i am in the process of repairing an install that a big company did and wait till i post those pictures up you won't beleive it.......

I've actually been trying to get people together to form a real live industry association for CCTV professionals

I know that some huge companys have tryed this too but never worked out..

It could also be that the customer could be such a jerk, that the installer just decided to finish the job asap, and get out of there!

I rather take the time and do it right or not take the job at all, This is my livelyhood if even a jerk gives me a bad name it gets around. I do every install like it's my own even with my guys i over see almost everything and if i don't i inspect it all later or i know i will have to go back later to fix it and i don't want to. I live by the saying do it right the first time

The best training manuals and courses are the ones you write yourself.

It forces you to establish what you want done and how you want it done. It also allows you to tailor the course for your customer. I have not done a lot of training but every customer has different needs and skill levels.

A standard course is great for a reference but the customer needs to know how to handle his setup.