Gesualdo

what's wrong here?

What's wrong here?

When I replaced my front camera I moved the existing ex40mnx camera with an 8mm lens and 940nm filter from the front of the house to the side to cover a walkway to the back. it actually is in a more restricted area than before, it is now 12 ft up and on the side of the house, above the gate pointed at a brick sidewalk that is picked up 5ft in front of the camera at the bottom of the picture to maybe 20ft max at the top of the picture. there is biege siding on the left, with a 10 foot tall juniper bush 20 ft in front of camera between the house and the sidewalk, the base is just out of the picture area , a narrow strip of grass and then a driveway to the right (also not in picture). there is a street light 30 ft beyond the viewing area. It does switch to b&w but fades to nothing and all snow as the sun sets.

The problem is, when I walk right up to the camera waving my arms you can barely see me. I went out with a flashlight and it pick up great and can see clearly. turn aff the light and al snow. with that much to bounce off of it should see a person at 5 ft shouldn't it? They should be overpowered. What's wrong? IR not working?

I would post pictures but the picture didn't go to the usb drive properly so onl have a day image, maybe tomorrow

Not familiar with that camera, but maybe you could see if the IR is reflected in a mirror? It sounds like the IR is not on, if you cant see anymore in the dark with that camera..

Thanks for response and the idea. I will do that and if neccessary I will take it down and bench test it again. there is, I believe, an adjustment screw for the level of ir. It's for that or the sensor, can't remember which. I will have to check the manual.

If the IR cut filter is working [it goes b&w] then and you are getting a dark picture the IR lEDs might not be on. I have fixed a few ex40 domes and the LEDs tend to burn out.

hold up you phone camera etc to check they are on

z

well... I think there was a real faint glow and the mirror did brighten the picture almost perceptably so they are working but it does not appear to be very much.

Ok, let me think out loud here for a moment... Correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE!!!

I am going to switch power supplies and see if it is a power problem. but i want to clearify control settings and functions. The led array is set at the factory and can not be changed. Correct? PG16 of manual.

http://www.extremecctv.com/product_detail.php?product_id=197

The blue phillips screw is going to adjust the photocell brightness and will only adjust the time the the photocell tells the camera to switch from day to night. Correct? Pgs. 16, & 8 of manual

Therefore it has no effect on the level of IR produced.

Thanks,

Gesualdo

if you haven't made any adjustments and its less IR than before and in a smaller area, maybe a power issue.

Also make sure no wires came loose in the move of the camera. Check all connectors inside the camera as well, make sure they are attached properly.

According to Figure 2.2 on Page 8 that is the adjustment for the IR brightness, the amount of power than is sent to the IRs.

Thanks for correcting me. that was my first thought, then reread it and second guessed myself into a wrong assumption. I will check connetions and adjustments when it stops raining.

oldview.jpgold location view

daytime.jpgnew view daytime

changeovertoBW.jpg new location changeover

Fulldark.jpg image gradually goes to this -full dark

oldview.jpgold location view

daytime.jpgnew view daytime

changeovertoBW.jpg new location changeover

Fulldark.jpg image gradually goes to this -full dark

Photo #2 indicates good lighting and full color. No problem except maybe a little out of focus.

Photo #3 indicates good switching of the IR Cut Filter to B&W Mode. Probably dusk. Still, a little out of focus but otherwise good.

If Photo #4 is a photo of the same shot as #2 & #3, then you have absolutely Zero IR illumination or absolutely Zero Camera sensitivity at your IR Illumination bandwidth.

I'd try external 850 nm IR illumination and external 940 nm IR illumination sources if possible. That is such a close shot, that any illumination or sensitivity at the proper bandwidth would reflect greatly and show a much more detailed shot than the "Stucco Wall" image that you posted.

yeah All picture are from the same camera and your assessment of time was correct. The ir on the camera is visible (barely) on a cell phone camera. I am hoping to adjust the ir output (if possible). I hung a droplight with a 75 watt bulb out an attic window and it cleared up the image. shouldn't the IR from the 18 LED's be enough in this situation, if adjusted correctly?

yeah All picture are from the same camera and your assessment of time was correct. The ir on the camera is visible (barely) on a cell phone camera. I am hoping to adjust the ir output (if possible). I hung a droplight with a 75 watt bulb out an attic window and it cleared up the image. shouldn't the IR from the 18 LED's be enough in this situation, if adjusted correctly?

At that distance, only a few L.E.D.s should suffice. Illuminating the area at night with visible light really doesn't tell you anything - you already know that the camera functions well in the visible spectrum.

Definitely try to adjust the IR output. Then, what I'd try next:

1. If you have a camcorder with NightShot, take it outside and point it toward the middle of your brick sidewalk and either have someone watching the monitor or review the recording of your CCTV Camera. If you see detail, then you know your camera is sensitive to IR illumination. Something must be wrong with your IR LEDs. Maybe low amperage, maybe an open in the LED circuitry portion of your camera.

2. Take a few remote controls (television, VCR, DVD, etc...) and press buttons, aiming at the same area - look for the same results.

HELP!!!

It has been several days and several attempts to sove the problem. I have adjusted the ir sensitivity control from one end of the adjuster to the other with no change. Took it down and bench tested ir and the dial doesn't change anything. the IR work but seems to stay the same no matter what I do and it's way to low for my small 8x12 cluttered workshop no matter what setting. I am now going to send it back for repair. I will then keep it as a spare.

I really need a good suggestion for a bullet camera to replace it, with comparable specs if possible. less expensive prefered.

To refresh everyones memory, I am going to be replacing an extreme EX40MNX day night camera.

Spec page: http://www.extremecctv.com/pdf/productspecsheets/EX40N_TS_080101.pdf

in this area: 8'wide x 20' long

daytime.jpg

I am considering the Speco HEAT series

Please help

Thanks,

Gesualdo

should I stick with extreme and go with EX27, or go with speco ht-7715, or the eclipse ecl598him or some other camera? suggestions please

save your money, just get a "True" Day Night bullet, any OEM brand, they are basically all the same. Otherwise try the EX82

In fact, if all you are looking at is that in the picture above, then a Color IR camera should suffice.

Ex82 replaced this ex40 out in front of the property covering the stairs and cars and have another out back. yeah, this is all it has to look at. I wasn't worried too much about it until I just had word that some less than desirable neighbors are moving in next door and will be parking in the driveway that is picked up in the edge of camera view. That is the only reason for putting a camera on this side and over this entry gate. I have another ex40 covering the front entry for close ups and front yard view with the ex82.

is the CB-SD3895N-L overkill for this spot? I like the reviews but think the ir will be too much. Any specific less expensive camera suggestions you can recommend. temp maybe perminent replacement for above site.

Based on the information given in this thread, What do you think the guestimated repair for the EX40 should be? What is the warrantee period? I thought it was 5 yrs but the website says 2 yrs. I have had it just over 2 yrs and will probably wind up paying for it.

Thanks