Is there any good sites for showing how to set up IP camera systems. As far as different options on wiring, equipment to use and or diagrams?

Also I have a customer (from a refferal off a DVR system) that wants an IP only camera system. He has an office inside a big almond facility where he needs 12 cameras spread out around the perimiter. How would and IP solution be beneficial if the cameras are 500ft from the Internet connection? would I not have to run wire there anyways? And would the main benefit be that I would be able to use higher resoltion cameras? He has a budget of approx $12-17K depending on the system we choose. Any help or links to info would be appreciated.

And yes I have already explained to him we have not ventured into IP but he insited we handle his system installation for him. I just want to make sure he gets the right system now that IP options are becoming more popular.

I don't know what the prices of IP Megapixel cameras are in the US, however I don't think you will be able to get a 12 camera IP Megapixel solution installed properly with that budget.

Is there any good sites for showing how to set up IP camera systems. As far as different options on wiring, equipment to use and or diagrams?

Also I have a customer (from a refferal off a DVR system) that wants an IP only camera system. He has an office inside a big almond facility where he needs 12 cameras spread out around the perimiter. How would and IP solution be beneficial if the cameras are 500ft from the Internet connection? would I not have to run wire there anyways? And would the main benefit be that I would be able to use higher resoltion cameras? He has a budget of approx $12-17K depending on the system we choose. Any help or links to info would be appreciated.

And yes I have already explained to him we have not ventured into IP but he insited we handle his system installation for him. I just want to make sure he gets the right system now that IP options are becoming more popular.

Use HikVision Mega-pixels IP camera (resolution up to 1600x1200 with pretty good quality). They are selling about USD 300/ each.

And the newly released CyeWeb (at http://www.novosun.com) supports that camera with very smooth decoding (real-time decode the 12 cameras is of no problem with a regular PC today). The total cost could be around just $5 ~ 6K.

jameslou,

Thanks for the info.

EZCCTV,

Sorry, I meant all IP cameras not all Megapixel. Just need 3 Megapixel.

Also do you happen to know if there are 5MP IP cameras used for LP recognition. Is IP Megapixel going to be sufficient come night time for LP capture?

Thanks

Thanks wireguys. Yeah I was informed they have some pretty good stuff. I've gotten a lot of calls for strictly IP systems. Im new to the IP cams but they're pretty helpful if used in the right situation. Its a wierd feeling to have my IT guy telling me how things should be done:)

I've also heard the Geo NVR is decent.

You might want to take a look at Panasonic's lineup:

The BB-HCM511A is a megapixel IP camera with remote pan/tilt, digital zoom, that has a built-in webserver, versatile interface, and SD card recording capability. Best of all, it has power over Ethernet (PoE) capability, which greatly simplifies installation, since you won't need an electrical source nearby. I believe that 300 meters is the limit for such Ethernet runs, so your 500 foot perimeter should be OK. This model is not for outdoor use, but Panasonic has others that are.

I've installed a number of these, and it produces excellent images, and is very reliable. Like most IP cams, however, they don't provide good coverage in darkness without IR illumination. They retail for about $459 each, but can be found for a good deal less "on the street."

Good luck

Best of all, it has power over Ethernet (PoE) capability, which greatly simplifies installation, since you won't need an electrical source nearby. I believe that 300 meters is the limit for such Ethernet runs, so your 500 foot perimeter should be OK.

unfortunately Ethernet is only 100 meters (328 feet). And you would have to do the math on the voltage drop at those distances. You can simply extend that distance by adding a switch in the middle. (hopefully into an IDF or a phone closet) But that is another failure point to worry about. Also you can easily get 500 feet with Optical Fiber but you have the added cost of terminating glass and buying media converters.

I have run Ethernet 500 feet with success in the past but I wouldn't recommend it.