Yes, and No!

For others who are reading this post, then I will mention this:

This means that we have the technology to do cheap megapixal IP cameras.

Now we have to over come processor speed, and storage capacity.

If you follow computers you will see how processor speed stayed the same, and storage prices came down, or capacity increased. Then came a time when processor prices came down, or speed/capacity increased.

It became that processor upgrades were cheaper than storage capacity upgrades.

Pent 1, 2, 3 4, ect.

Cheap megapixal cameras are now a reality, but storage, and internet bandwith is the next hurdle to accomplish!

Who is using IP cameras on a Giga Bit Lan?

I hate to say it but it looks like a cheap fake camera you buy off ebay, I can only judge when I see the output. We have always had cheap cameras but you can't compare a 50 camera to a 300 camera. Don't get me wrong i know the camera makers are milking us when we purchase a good camera but then again you know what you get when you buy name brand. To see a megapixel camera so cheap it leaves me very skeptical on the quality. I hope they do start a price war but i think the industry will be flooded so with fisher price mega pixel cameras. Just my $.02

The price is a chip price, not a camera price.

Once the chip is sold then a manufacture (assembly) will "produce" the camera, market it, package it, and distribute it.

This would be like someone coming up with a $50.00 V8 engine. Now you sell it to Ford, Cheverolet, BMW, Chrysler ect.

This is a "consortium" of chip manufactures who are integrating the "best of breed" in to one chip.

You have the CCD chip manufacture (Aptina 5 megapixal camera. It wll have a software processing loss, and it will be rated a 3MP cam), you have the processor chip manufacture (Texas Inst Davinci Processor), and Apro (DM355 HD IP Camera).

APRO provides the DM355 HD IP Camera. They provide the licensing agreements, production agreements, data sheets, software, debug board for developers, code composer studio, ect.

All you need to do is decide if it is going in to your box product, your dome product, or a PTZ product.

Getting started guide

http://www.appropho.com/NewWeb/DOC/GettingStartedGuide.pdf

Anyone got a couple of million dollars that I can borrow??

What do you all think??

I stand corrected but may i sit now ?

Anyone got a couple of million dollars that I can borrow??

Sure but the interest is 50%

The manufacturer cost of the chip is $35!

The DM355IPNC-MT5 IP network camera reference design is expected to begin shipping in the second quarter of 2008. It will cost $795 and be royalty free with the exception of the auto white balance and auto exposure (2A), which must be licensed separately—if the customer already owns 2A IP the design is royalty free.

So in reality the camera is going to be much closer to $800.

Read the whole article guys...

No, $35 is the bill of material @ 50,000 units +. You still have to add cost of labor, marketing, etc. So say $199 to $299 a camera max.

Oh, and you please read the whole article .

$795 is for the reference design.

So ya need a couple mill just for the chipsets and then another 10 mill for camera design and build?

The bill of materials comes out to $1,750,000 for 50,000 units. But... say the bill of materials is $80 a unit for 1,000 units then you could start selling the units for $100,000 or less (without marketing and other company over head).

Okay, so if u guys want to start donating to my fund then PM me and I'll give you my paypal address .

Okay, so if u guys want to start donating to my fund then PM me and I'll give you my paypal address .

Sounds good. PM sent.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Ha! Ha!

PM! LOL! I think he wants cash! Not a one, and a bunch of zeros!!

You are too funny!

Edited by Guest

Sounds good. PM sent.

I haven't got the PM yet...

Sounds good. PM sent.

I haven't got the PM yet...

Hmm. Strange.

nigeria?? I think you sent that to scorpion's private account....

Are you sure? Dam it, he got me again........Last time was the bahamas but i think he had help

yep, he is definately a shyster!!!!! no wonder he is expanding through out florida.

If you have a commercial for lease sign posted, I will travel!

or Scorpion Products coming to every 7/11, and drug stores near you!

I hate to say it but it looks like a cheap fake camera you buy off ebay, I can only judge when I see the output. We have always had cheap cameras but you can't compare a 50 camera to a 300 camera. Don't get me wrong i know the camera makers are milking us when we purchase a good camera but then again you know what you get when you buy name brand. To see a megapixel camera so cheap it leaves me very skeptical on the quality. I hope they do start a price war but i think the industry will be flooded so with fisher price mega pixel cameras. Just my $.02

It's TI the same people who invented DLP technology..which i have in my living room 56inch I feel comfortable this ip cam is in a good hand

Rebco does have a point. The problems with junk cameras come from the market, not from the manufactures. Who is going to invest millions in to land, building, infrastructure, and tooling knowing that they are not going to make a return on the investment? If you make it to crappy then no one will buy it.

Can you think of a product that was introduced, and then it fell on it's butt?

At the same time you cannot go over the top in quality design, and "bullet proofing" a product, and then expect to sell 50 million units.

Yes there are those companies that have tried something, and have had flops. It may have been due to other factors other than the product itself.

I think there will always be a market for entry level products, and there will always be the need for top tier products.

If a customer is happy with a webcam, and some software, then he has met his needs. None of us will be installing a bunch of webcams in a large city national bank with extreme security needs.

I have never been able to figure out why the first product a customer wants we they come in to a show room is a wireless camera?

With some education customers, are redirected to other products that suit their needs better.

Does this mean that the marketing plans of the cheap wirless cameras are a marketing success? Does this mean customers are happy with cheap at any price?

I am happy that I can hand the average joe who makes $20,000, to $25,000 a DVR, and a camera. I hope more buy in to it.

There is a guy who has a major warehouse, and he sells scratched, and dented washers, and dryers with full factory warranty!

How many washers can you sell? It is not like it is a daily commodity?

I want to be like this guy! I want to have a warehouse the size of a city block, and I want to sell scratched, and dented DVRs with full factory warranty!!!

This guy is opening more warehouses through out the state!!

I see a day where you will see DVRs being sold right next to microwaves. Probably not as it will be in the electronics section rather than the home section, but I think you understand what I am saying.

Probably by then a manufacturing company will have bought all of the other companies, and there will only be one factory building all of the DVRs on the shelves at your local wally world, and your better purchase stores. Now, will it be Sony, or Microsoft?

If the market is glutted with "hobby cameras" then it is because the customers are demanding them.

I remember when photographers were about to go on strike because Canon introduced a SLR camera that had a computer that would make all of the calculations for you. Pro Photogs thought they would be going out of business. Who needs a photographer when the computer can do it for the common man who does not even know what an F stop is!!

Today I look at my friends, relatives, and others people's pictures, and yes the image is clear, sharp, great color renditioning, and no pixalization, but the photos just look awful. I see a picture of someone, and there is a telephone pole sticking out of the top of their heads!!

I see a small body in a large yard. Why can they not place people in the right spot, or move up on a subject. Why do they put the sun behind them then take a picture of people squinting? How about the CCTV classic where someone take a picture of a person in front of a door, or a window, and all you have is a silouette?

Where are the professional photographers now?? I flip open a telephone book, and they are there in print by the droves. I guess the computer did not kill the profession after all.

Cheap cameras are not going to kill the CCTV Pro. We will always have a job, and we will alway be there to pick up the DIY pieces when they fall.

Lets just hope that a new technology does not come along that puts us in the same category as "in car" elevator operators, phone switch operators, and the group of gas station attendants who pump your gas, collect your money, check your fluid, ect, (unless live in places like New Jersey)!

What do you think?