vettemaster

Install a indoor dome outside?

If the mounting location is inside a large overhang, or under a patio where it will not see any water, would it be fairly safe to install an indoor dome camera outside?

It is not recommended, but if it is cheap enough, and you are not worried about cost, or warranty then go for it.

A little caulking in the holes, and you should be good to go.

I have pulled old cheapo domes down that were installed by previous home owners while the new owners "upgrade".

It is not recommended, but if it is cheap enough, and you are not worried about cost, or warranty then go for it.

A little caulking in the holes, and you should be good to go.

I have pulled old cheapo domes down that were installed by previous home owners while the new owners "upgrade".

I can say i had the same thing the customer couldn't afford to upgrade right now so i just fixed his old domes installed under a overhang. silicone sealant is your friend.

Bear in mind that indoor color domes may not be set up for sunlight / IR filter etc. The colors may look strange.

Very good point Scruit.

Which will lead the customer to "upgrade" in the near future shortly after you install that indoor dome outside. Thus making another trip out there for you.

Hope it's not a far drive!

Goodluck,

John

If the mounting location is inside a large overhang, or under a patio where it will not see any water, would it be fairly safe to install an indoor dome camera outside?

I have a inside speed dome mounted outside under a roof eave. I have it mounted it inside a wooden box, with the dome section sticking it's head out. The wood is vanished to protect it against rain. I have the COM, video and power cable outputting through the top of the wooden box and siliconed around the cable outputs.

I've looked at where the dome connects to the main body and it appears weatherproof so I didn't bother siliconing it, but if it doesn't look like a great seal to you , you could seal that as well.

Any time you mount an indoor camera outside it is never good. There is a reason the manufacture labels these camera indoor and outdoor. One has seals, and plugs to make it outdoor and weather proof. If you put the indoor camera outdoors, it will eventual form moisture inside the camera fogging the lens and cause damage to the components. I would just spend a few extra dollars and go with the outdoor cameras. We have them as check as $58.00 Thanks