robert

Megapixel cameras & NVR PC

Guys,

How do you calculate how powerful PC you need for X amout of megapixel cameras @resolution @fps?

Any examples you have installed?

I have contacted Arecont Vision support and they said that any cheap PC will do the job, but I doubt that.

Guys,

How do you calculate how powerful PC you need for X amout of megapixel cameras @resolution @fps?

Any examples you have installed?

I have contacted Arecont Vision support and they said that any cheap PC will do the job, but I doubt that.

It depends heavily on the encoder used along with what the quality settings are.

It depends heavily on the encoder used along with what the quality settings are.

What encoder? Aren't megapixel camera outputs already encoded?

Edited by Guest

I installed the Arecont software on a P4 laptop with 2gigs of ram it ran like a dog...... I would not install the Arecont software on anything less then a quad core.

From my experience, that's the software, not the computer.

Most are, but that doesn't mean you're going to write in that format, and many NVR's will decode the stream to run motion detection then re-encode.

For example Arecont, 3 x Av1300, 15fps@ 1280x1024 each.

Depends on the software on the NVR end.

Most are, but that doesn't mean you're going to write in that format, and many NVR's will decode the stream to run motion detection then re-encode.

Damn waste of processing power, if you ask me. It is also likely to produce exponential coding errors into the video. Processing should be done in the camera. It just proves my contention that IP is not quite ready for prime time.

For example Arecont, 3 x Av1300, 15fps@ 1280x1024 each.

Depends on the software on the NVR end.

Luxriot.

Doest it VERY matters what software do you use?

Another key factor is as mentioned if you need to decode the video for motion detection or just for local display. If neither of these is happening and you are either reling on the camera for motion detection or you really don't need much of a machine at all.

I have a 2100 and a 3131 running on an Intel Little Valley which only has a 1Ghz CPU. It is running motion detection, transcoding for streaming and displaying it and 5 analogs which it's also software compressing.

Now once Arecont converts all over to h.264 it'll be an entiely different beast, that takes loads of power to decode for motion and display.

But what Pc would you need to record(no live view) Arecont, 3 x Av1300, 15fps@ 1280x1024 each ?

This is one thing I dont like about IP cameras, there is no standart way ot calculating tech spec

Well since thats quite a bit less load a little valley should handle that with some left over. It's shortcoming for you would be in LAN capability, I would add a gigabit NIC and be done. Then you can run your cameras on the gigabit NIC and your local and web access on the onboard 10/100 NIC.

Basically all you are doing is writing the file to disk, so not much CPU is needed for recording.

Nice to hear that.

So its a live view what eats resources?

Not so much with MJPEG but with MPEG4/H.264 yeah it can become a huge burden to decompress for on screen viewing.

I also have an MPEG4 camera on that system but I have it set to only decode keyframes. The local display looks like maybe 5 fps but the recordings are much closer to 25fps and the CPU load was dropped quite a bit. Granted this is a VGA camera not megapixel.

I'll make you a deal on a little valley if you wanna play with one.

Sorry ColinR, english is not my native, so I dont really understand meaning of this phrase Could you rephrase it for me?

Damn waste of processing power, if you ask me. It is also likely to produce exponential coding errors into the video. Processing should be done in the camera. It just proves my contention that IP is not quite ready for prime time.

Processing power is cheap and constantly growing. Motion detection on the camera side sucks, and as more advanced analytics become standard, the cameras simply can not keep up in terms of processing power. Where as Intel and AMD will gladly keep scaling up chip speed to increase processing power.

Nice to hear that.

So its a live view what eats resources?

Not so much with MJPEG but with MPEG4/H.264 yeah it can become a huge burden to decompress for on screen viewing.

I also have an MPEG4 camera on that system but I have it set to only decode keyframes. The local display looks like maybe 5 fps but the recordings are much closer to 25fps and the CPU load was dropped quite a bit. Granted this is a VGA camera not megapixel.

Collin

Hopefully you are not basing this on experience of the Arecont H.264 ( or I may weep!)

You may well have found older H.264 samples a real hog.

The scalability extensions for H.264 were only finalised in 2007. When

implemented there is no need to decompress then re encode for display

on screen. I can play multiple H.264 streams at D1 25fps on an old 2GHz

Celeron. On a Dual Core it barely registers cpu usage.

But what Pc would you need to record(no live view) Arecont, 3 x Av1300, 15fps@ 1280x1024 each ?

This is one thing I dont like about IP cameras, there is no standart way ot calculating tech spec

also depends on whether you are doing motion detection in the s/w.

that would require an estimate of how many hours there is motion, and the % detection of motion.

I can give some feedback now. Installed 3 Arecont Vision AV1300DN cameras on Luxriot. Writing on motion detection @20fps + 1frame each 5sec.

PC spec: Intel Celeron dual core 1.6Ghz, 2gb DDR 800 ram.

CPU usage is around 30-34% all the time.

So, not bad I think.

I`m having soon install of 4x AV5105 + 3x AV1305. Will be using Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz, 12Mb, S775, 95W) +3GB DDR800 ram.

Hopefully it will do the job

I`m having soon install of 4x AV5105 + 3x AV1305. Will be using Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz, 12Mb, S775, 95W) +3GB DDR800 ram.

Hopefully it will do the job

I don't think that Luxriot support Arecont Vision H.264 cameras.

Before you purchase those cameras, be sure that you have compatible NVR

AV1300DN[/b] cameras on Luxriot.

quote]

Did u use them inside or outside ?

just curios if u have problem between day and night mode

Thx

I don't think that Luxriot support Arecont Vision H.264 cameras.

Before you purchase those cameras, be sure that you have compatible NVR

Yes, they dont support yet, but in 4 weeks time there will be a new version with H264 support.

Did u use them inside or outside ?

just curios if u have problem between day and night mode

Thx

Outside

What problem do you mean ?