Dr. CCTV

Why so hard to get PDA client support for DVRs?

Hey all,

Had a customer today who asked me the following, "Can I view all nine of my cameras on the go using my PDA or smart phone..." At first I didn't know what unit I was going to sell the fellow, but I eventaully selected a fine unit which I hadn't realized supported this function. It seems like all the well known dvr manufacturers do not offer PDA viewable client s/w. I mean, if all the little guys with their "me too" products can pull it off beautifully, why not the "been around the block guys"? Why is this feature not standard on all units? I realize its not as simple as just streaming some video to a device for viewing-there is always the inherent backbone problems such as available bandwidth, not to mention viewing nine cameras on a screen unsuitable for even a single camera. Any dealers, integrators, or hobbyists have any experiences with this stuff?

A.B.C.

The only one I had a chance to test is avail from American Dynamics VideoEdge product line... and here is the url: http://www.americandynamics.net/WebApps/getDocument.aspx?filename=8200-0886-01_A0_Cx_Mobile_Alert_User_Manual.pdf

It does work as long as the PDA is registered within LAN or WAN respectively. As long as you are in the network, you are in... and not only you will have a chance to view video, but also control PTZ cameras, etc...

Here is basic script about this product:

With the Cx Mobile Alert software, we are providing the user with the extra ability to be mobile and

still be able to monitor all of his/her cameras and to receive Motion Detection alerts. With Cx

Mobile Alert, the user will allow the user to log into all of his/her VideoEdge NVR Servers and will

be able to receive alerts, perform Search and Playback functions, and PTZ the cameras using any

PDA or Smart Phone working with Windows® MobilePC® 4.2 or higher.

I know that others make similar solutions and read about them, but never had an opportunity to test...

I tell them get something like an Eee PC with XP

Not really but still I had a couple pocket PCs and it was hardly useful for any kind of remote video, still images were about as best they could do. Tested with I-view and GeoVision.

Hey all,

Had a customer today who asked me the following, "Can I view all nine of my cameras on the go using my PDA or smart phone..." At first I didn't know what unit I was going to sell the fellow, but I eventaully selected a fine unit which I hadn't realized supported this function. It seems like all the well known dvr manufacturers do not offer PDA viewable client s/w. I mean, if all the little guys with their "me too" products can pull it off beautifully, why not the "been around the block guys"? Why is this feature not standard on all units? I realize its not as simple as just streaming some video to a device for viewing-there is always the inherent backbone problems such as available bandwidth, not to mention viewing nine cameras on a screen unsuitable for even a single camera. Any dealers, integrators, or hobbyists have any experiences with this stuff?

A.B.C.

Because it's a massive pain in the ass because PDA browsers tend to be poorly implemented pieces of ****.

I tell them get something like an Eee PC with XP

Not really but still I had a couple pocket PCs and it was hardly useful for any kind of remote video, still images were about as best they could do. Tested with I-view and GeoVision.

Yup... great idea and it works... except that you can not lag this pc anywhere and may connect to systems as long as the IP address from outside is authorized..

As for the PDA, it is a clumsy hardware and yet works better than Eee for this application.. go figure.. at least I found a decent use for PDA...

I'd like to see this application to work with IPOD or even latest Google version smart phone through T-Mobil service... I know there will be no chance with IPOD, but because Google version software (I am sure you know it is called Android) that works on Linus, there is a remote chance that it may take latest WINE v1.0... Man, if they (Google) only allow this app to work, then you can add as many windows applications as the memory in this phone will allow...

Wishful thinking, but at least a wish anyway

Yup... great idea and it works... except that you can not lag this pc anywhere and may connect to systems as long as the IP address from outside is authorized..

I can carry it everywhere

I dont understand the second part though, both connect to wifi. Ive never had to authorize my IP address.

Also, with the Eee you can watch all 16 cameras in just about real time video from a remote site. Plus you have an actual useful keyboard.

I'd like to see this application to work with IPOD or even latest Google version smart phone through T-Mobil service... I know there will be no chance with IPOD, but because Google version software (I am sure you know it is called Android) that works on Linus, there is a remote chance that it may take latest WINE v1.0... Man, if they (Google) only allow this app to work, then you can add as many windows applications as the memory in this phone will allow...

Yeah but Pocket PC apps and Windows XP apps are totally different.

Dont know if wine works with pocket PC apps?

Also all the apps I tried in Wine didnt come close to working.

Because it's a massive pain in the ass because PDA browsers tend to be poorly implemented pieces of ****.

Don't forget many don't run windows or IE and DVR manufacters seem to be slaves to microsoft.

The real question is

"Why does my DVR remote connection only work with XP and possibly Vista?"

The systems I have I think we may have a total of 3 that function and are pda based but ours only work on the Windows Platforms.

Thanks,

John

I dont understand the second part though, both connect to wifi. Ive never had to authorize my IP address.

Also, with the Eee you can watch all 16 cameras in just about real time video from a remote site. Plus you have an actual useful keyboard.

True, but if you have an enterprise system with managed router, then you have authenticate mac address, the special key assigned and then register the IP address allowing access... If you are in different places with Eee, then you are using different access point IP.. With PDA, you are online all the time and the IP does not change (you can have such service)... and this way you can have access all the time..

Yeah but Pocket PC apps and Windows XP apps are totally different.

Dont know if wine works with pocket PC apps?

Also all the apps I tried in Wine didnt come close to working.

That is why I said that it is a wishful thinking..

True, but if you have an enterprise system with managed router, then you have authenticate mac address, the special key assigned and then register the IP address allowing access... If you are in different places with Eee, then you are using different access point IP.. With PDA, you are online all the time and the IP does not change (you can have such service)... and this way you can have access all the time..

We talking about a pocket PC or something else??

If its a pocket PC then its going to have the same options available - wifi.

if you mean a smart phone then thats cell i guess, never used that myself, though there are people in the UK and US using cell and all kinds of different types of access with their Eee PCs. I havent looked into it as it wont work for me down here anyway, heck land phones hardly work.

anyway i like the Eee myself over a pocket PC so na na na

Actually if they let me use VB6 on the IPhone then no doubt id play wid that too

Don't forget many don't run windows or IE and DVR manufacters seem to be slaves to microsoft.

The real question is

"Why does my DVR remote connection only work with XP and possibly Vista?"

Do you want the real reason or the PR answer? Both insult the intelligence of customers and installers. One just happens to be true.

I have used the GView V2 from GeoVision with success. I have it on my Samsung i760 windows based phone and it works great with our demo unit we have set up. I always use it as a sales tool when meeting with a prospect. It does leave a good impression when I show them the ability to access live video from my phone.