squale

Some advice on Intellicam cameras? are they good cameras?

Well I searched and searched all over the net for different outside cameras to hook up to my Geovision GV800-8 system. So far, it seems that Intellicam has the best prices I can find anywhere. And their eBay auctions are even lower than their website. Anyhow, I was checking out their cameras, and I am very interested in the EX230HL Color Bullet Camera: [edit-link removed by mod]

They say it's using the newest Sony SuperHAD EXview CCD and that this camera doesn't need IR lights to see in complete darkness. It's an extremely low .05 lux in color! Is this really true?

I need these cameras for an installation around my house and I would like to see my entire front and back yards. My front yard and driveway are about 100ft long from my house to the road. I would like to be able to see to the end of that in DARK conditions. Do you think this camera is the best to go with?

The other camera I was contemplating going with was the G4-12EXS .. [edit-link removed by mod]

I see this has 12 IR LEDs but just not sure that this will see very far in dark conditions. They say it autoswitches from color to Black and White at night but I still don't know if it would be as good as the EXView EX230HL above?

I believe the EX230HL stays color at night as well.

What do you guys think about Intellicam and these cameras? should I go with them or look elsewhere?

Thanks again!

How much are you paying for them? Do they have a demo site to view them at? Asking here is a good way to eliminate the junk. I am not familiar with these camera's, so, if you do buy please post a reply on how they work out. Some quit tips;

- get a decent power supply with enough amps to carry all your camera's. One that has "sync". Figure out your total amperage and then make sure you have enough amps. From what you are trying to view (100ft. front yard/road, back yard) You going to go beyond the basic 12 LED (usually 30ft. viewing) camera.

- cable...buy good cable (RG-59 siamese) and apply your ends. Do not purchase the premade as they tend to be cheap.

- test and clean the camera lenses before you mount them. Do not open them to clean the inside UNTIL you are past the warranty period!

- plan your cable runs to avoid ALL other electrical cables. Observe a 1ft distance to be safe.

- Home Depot sells a nice package of electrical cable hangers. Use them in the attic, they work great!!! They look like a bent plastic pitch fork end, size of the palm of yor hand, holds multiple cables.

- mount camera'where you can get at them. Removing spider webs, cleaning, and replacing will be a challenge.

My guess is that the cameras you list above will work in a smaller area (30 ft. night viewing) than you need. Lighting up an area out at 100ft. may call for a better camera. Most home owners need a large viewing area close to the home. Specific needs require specific camera's, more money.

Good luck.

yeah well that's what I REALLY need. I need to view the front and back yards around the house. It would be NICE to be able to see to the end of the driveway but that isn't a MUST! Basically I am just trying to see the end of the driveway to see IF somebody or something is there, not to really make a prosecutable image. But around the house I would like a prosecutable image yes.

What is the deal with this Sony EXview CCD? It says it's .05 lux in color.. that's pretty low, so that should be able to see a pretty long distance by itself without IR assist at night right?

and how many lines of resolution do I need? I see the cameras pretty much come in 380 or 420 lines. Black and White generally is the higher 420 lines which I don't know why?

This is grossly over simplifed:

||| = Color pixel. Each line is one color (RGB)

|| = B/W. Two lines, one for black, one for white.

The B/W takes 2/3s the space of a color pixel, so you get a better density from the B/W CCD.

For prosecuatble images you will need high resolution at the least, and thats only if there is enough ambient lighting. Exview is great, but that doesnt mean you will see the persons face. Infrared is a touchy subject, even with 600' of infrared does not guarantee a good image of the persons face, there are other factors such as reflection from the IR, etc.

High Res:

Color - 470-520TVL

B/W - 570-600TVL

As for lighting, Black & White exview is the best to go with, Exview color will not see much in dark conditions, it will see, but depends on the amount of lighting. Every camera needs SOME light. Also, do not put much trust in the lux levels from any manufacturer, as they differ at every location. That is just an OEM cheap Exview BW camera, nothing special, dealer price is around $80, ofcourse retail will be more just giving you an example, dealer price on a pro camera ranges around $200, plus lens and housing. Those bullets are fine for a home though. You wont see much after 50' though, with any wide angle view.

The best night time image you will get would be from a professional (box type traditional camera) B/W Exview High Res, with Lighting or at least a UF500 Infrare Bulb.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Roy, great pics, yeah I don't need any professional level camera I don't think, it's just for around the house to see the animals at night and for any vandels in the neighborhood. During the day I just want to mainly see what's going on around my house outside and also see what sort of weather I have going on up there. I have a long commute to work so it would be nice to see what the weather is at my house. The other thing I was wondering is, I live in New Jersey and it's very very cold here right now at my house, for instance tonight it's supposed to be like 1 degree Farenheight.... do these cameras still work in this type of cold weather WITHOUT a heated camera housing? For instance that bullet color camera I linked to above from Intellicam systems, do you think that will work?

Thanks

They make outdoor housing units with built in heaters. But don't ask Rory about them...he doesn't get this snow thing.

the operating temp from the page you linked sais 14-104 degrees farenheit.

Those bullets i posted are actually in vandal proof housings (not heated though!).

All you probably need are the Exview BW Bullets. You will see whats going on in the day and get a useful image at night.

Rory

yeah but isn't color cameras much better for the day... ?

should I maybe go with something like this: the G4-12EXS here: http://www.intellicamusa.com/daynight.htm

This camera says it's color at day and BW at night with IR assist. Do you think this is a good camera? or do you think the first bullet I linked to above is better?

This G4-12EXS DOES NOT have the EXview CCD..

Exview is better, BW exview is better. When you get into Day Night cameras, you need to look at getting one with an IR Cut Filter or the day time image is crap, which is most day night bullet cameras.

I havent used those cameras so I cant say for sure, but from the specs:

PROS:

Low Price

CONS:

No IR Cut Filter

Low Resolution

There is only one day night bullet camera I recommend, other than that I just sell them the BW Exview Bullet or Exview Color depending on how dark it is. (see below). Provideo has the best Bullet Cameras I have seen so far, they dont make them, but they pick some good OEM ones, the cheaper ones are crap but their high res or more expensive BW ones are great, for Bullet Cameras.

Day Night Color/BW Infrared Camera 4-9mm Varifocal Auto Iris Lens

Not Exview - SuperHad - But true Day Night meaning it switches to Black & White at night and turns on the Infrared LEDs - IR up to max 60' depending on surroundings - Built in mechanical IR cut Filter for great daytime images:

Note: You can disconnect the IR LEDs simply also.

These are the BW Bullets I have at my appt. and even at a local Nightclub for past 3 years: (Not as low light as Exview but a better image quality)

If you want to keep the price down though, the cheap BW Exview is all you need.

Edited by Guest

another thing, I never quote a bullet camera for an infrared application. If it has infrared then thats fine .. just dont trust the distance they (any of them) claim.

what is No IR Cut Filter ?

Because the Intellicam cameras shut off the IR leds during the day and then at night the IR leds come back on.. is this what you mean..?

I just don't know if it's better to go with a Day/Night cam or just a always color camera? I DEFINATELY need color for the day, it's just a matter of what to do at night. I mean my house always has some ambient lighting at night from neighbors that leave their outside floodlights on. It's not BRIGHT ambient light, but it's some light ya know.

No ,thats not an IR Cut filter - that just turns the IR LEDs on or off.

Purpose of IR Filter in Color Cameras

An IR filter – or IR cut filter - is a color filter blocking the infrared light. There are several good reasons for using an IR-cut filter. Using a color camera to achieve realistic colors in white light requires an IR-cut filter. The color spectrum seen by the human eye is quite limited compared to the spectrum seen by a CCD camera. Especially, in the near infrared region of the spectrum the difference in sensitivity is significant. This is important to know since many light sources, including the sun, emit infrared light. A CCD color camera in daylight without an IR-cut filter will therefore see a significant amount of infrared light resulting in strange colors. Another reason for using an IR-cut filter is the limited color correction for many lenses. It is difficult to design imaging optics covering both the visible spectrum and the near infrared spectrum at the same time. Therefore, many lenses have different depth of focus for the visible and the infrared spectrum. Anyway, the IR-cut filter cuts away a significant amount of the overall collected light and thereby affects the sensitivity in a negative way. In general, color cameras are one factor less sensitive compared to monochrome (depending on the CCD chip). This is primarily due to the IR-cut filter.

Info courtesy of Jai Camera Solutions

what is No IR Cut Filter ?

Because the Intellicam cameras shut off the IR leds during the day and then at night the IR leds come back on.. is this what you mean..?

I just don't know if it's better to go with a Day/Night cam or just a always color camera? I DEFINATELY need color for the day, it's just a matter of what to do at night. I mean my house always has some ambient lighting at night from neighbors that leave their outside floodlights on. It's not BRIGHT ambient light, but it's some light ya know.

Im particular when it comes to image quality and true colors. Some may say that the cheap Day Nights suffice, but to me its a waste of money, id prefer just BW than to see messed up color ranges.

Its up to you, To get a good day night, it is going to cost extra, same to get a good Color camera on the whole. With BW you can get away with a cheap camera.

the specs dont mention it, and the price would be much higher. Provideo is the only bullet camera I have seen with an IR cut Filter and that is their newest Day Night camera also.

Its up to you, price is low so you dont waset much $$ if you do buy it and it doesnt look good. For me its not worth it cause I have to pay alot for shipping and import taxes.

Does this camera you mention have an IR cut filter:

[edit-link removed by mod]

This looks like a nice little camera, do you think it's better than the EX230HC here: [edit-link removed by mod]

Do you know how low of temperatures I can use this Speco CVC-637EX in?

Is Speco the same thing as ProVideo by the way?

Have you installed and used these cameras.... do you have any low light images from them?

The other cameras are just too much money. I can't spend over $200 on a camera... just don't have the money right now

Yes, it has a fixed IR cut filter in front of the CCD to make the camera non-responsive to the IR spectrum. This increases the color imagery during daylight and normal lighting conditions.

Certain Day Night models are supplied without the IR cut filter in the path of the CCD and have built in IR LEDs for full range operation, but then you dont have as good a Day Image as you would with a mechanical IR Cut Filter such as the Day Night 7706DNV i posted a link to previously.

Specs on that CVC-637EX: (-20 to 122 Farenheit)

http://www.csi-speco.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=568

Yes it is a better camera.

Provideo is the camera department of Speco Technologies.

I havent used those in particular, but the specs speak for themselves. Others on this forum have bought them however and they have been great. I have installed other versions of Provideo Bullets though and they are good and last long. I havent found a small mini exview camera yet with High Res, like that CVC637EX, its neat.

With Provideo Bullets, everybody sells them, and they have a good warranty. You can also contact their tech support direct, and they respond.

I only sell their Bullet cameras though. Used their domes and was not impressed, but you cant go wrong with their bullets.

Rory

Edited by Guest

hmm.. didn't see anything in that link that said that camera has an IR cut filter?

I thought you said thought that an ONLY color camera looks very crappy at night.. Isn't this camera just an all color camera all the time, meaning it DOESN'T switch to black and white at night, it just stays color?

I would really like to see what this camera looks like in some pics at both day and night if anybody has them..

Can you adjust the lens sizes on this small bullet camera?

And does it come with power/video cable? if not could you recommend some video/power cable, I will need about 100 to 150' for each camera... thanks

Color cameras do not have to pick up Infrared Lighting, as they do not switch to BW. Problem is to keep the cost down on the cheap Color cameras, such as the $100 ones, they leave the IR cut Filter off all together, saving money, day Time image is shabby. This 637EX one has an IR cut Filter fixed on it. It wont say it does but I have asked this from Provideo before and they claim it does.

Edited by Guest

probably a little better, or more or less, it is Color Exview, not perfect, but okay. BW Exview will see much more.

That is very very dark though.

I have used the Intellicam before, and honestly they are not bad, but the problem is that during the daytime, the colors and sharpness look a little washed out, although at night they are not bad, but I'm using the newone from AMEBA, here is a screenshot

test.jpg

This is from yesterday during a snowstorm

test2.jpg

This is right now, after the snowtorm.

Keep in mind that this is over the network, using a crappy avermedia mp5004 card, still waiting for my realtime kit from Iview.

The one that is pictured is the SCC-4824 that we sell, I got it as a demo and liked it much so that I intalled it to watch over my 2 vehicles in my house's parking lot, keep in mind that there is low lighting, but here is a pic during daytime:

test3.jpg

Edited by Guest

I have used the Intellicam before, and honestly they are not bad, but the problem is that during the daytime, the colors and sharpness look a little washed out, although at night they are not bad, but I'm using the newone from AMEBA, here is a screenshot

Keep in mind that this is oveR the network, using a crappy avermedia mp5004 card, still waiting for my realtime kit from Iview.

Snow!! He he he ... havent seen that in a while ..

yeah the color will look that way as to save money the camera does not have an IR Cut Filter. Most of the cheaper OEM color cameras are like that.